Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I have yet another question. First, I can’t even tell you how much I appreciate this forum!!!
as many of you know, I have really been having a hard time with Georgie at night. He settles down immediately when he’s with me. But when it’s time to go and his cage to go to sleep, that has been another story. Whether he’s in a dark quiet room all by himself, or sleeping right beside me, he is scared to go into the cage.Sometimes clinging and growling. I have been very very careful to make a minimal changes. I have a thermostat sensor in his cage watching the temperature. The cage is mostly covered. I have tried it being partially covered as well. No matter what, he just wants to be out of the cage. My question is, do any of you let your parrotlet’s sleep outside of their cage?
I know he can’t sleep with me, that is a given. I just mean in a bird safe room? Once he has settled down for the night, he absolutely does not want to move. I am wondering if he might be a candidate for trying that? It’s been about 4 1/2 months and I know it’s stressing him out every night. Sure I could ignore it cover his cage and walk away, but with him, I feel like that’s only going to lead to long-term psychological damage. A prey Animal should be able to sleep comfortably at night. The only thing I have not tried, he’s leaving him in his day\flight cage uncovered. Not dark enough in that room. Again was he settled in asleep, he does not budge. I hate to sound like a broken record, I’m just hoping to find something that works for him. Thank you for taking time to read the long explanation and question!!!

·
Registered
484 Posts
My bird also doesn't want to leave his coconut and growls when he goes to bed but he is fine when he is covered. Sometimes he refuses to go into the cage until he gets a hug and a kiss and cuddle first. When he is in there and covered does he eventually settle down?

You may need to do the exact same night routine for multiple nights to get the hang of it with him. If you are making even slight changes to the routine and he is unsure, he might be getting confused. My advice would be to continue putting him in the cage at night for a few weeks with the exact same routine. Unless he is thrashing around in the cage at night, he is likely settling down ok.

·
Super Moderator
4,833 Posts
I would start by making his night cage part of his day time play time. Get it so he is comfortable with it when you are around during the day and not just something he is locked up in at night. Once it becomes his then maybe moving it back to night time might work better.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both. Normally he really likes to sleep cage during the day. I appreciate the advice to make small changes. I have definitely been cognizant of doing so. He was OK about going to bed for quite a while. But I think something scared him in the night. About a week ago he suddenly wouldn’t get off of me and it took me about 45 minutes. I have come up with a way to remedy that now. I put my hair up in a hat and he can sit on my shoulder while we watch TV but he can’t get himself knotted up in there. Also that is helping with any hormonal behavior obviously. The thing is before bed we had a nice routine. He would roost with me, I would take him in to his bed, I would say I love you and give him a kiss and he would say an allowed chirp sound “Keees” and then reach up and give me a kiss. I would then gently put him on his sleeping perch. But then about a week ago, it all stopped. Every time I tried to get him to step up to go into his perch he was flying onto me, fully panicking, he has not given me a kiss no matter what time of day ever since that night. I’m certain somethings scared him. I guess maybe it will just take time and like you said, small changes. Ozzy I will definitely keep using the cage during the day.Even giving him good things in it like his cactus fruit snack so that he associate it with good things. To answer your question, yes he settles down once he is in there. It’s more of a terrible twos I don’t want to go to bed kind of thing. Once he’s there, it takes him about two minutes to fall asleep. Maybe this is normal Parrotlet behavior?

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
I bet something changed in that room where his sleeping cage is.

My guy settles down in his cage (he is not as friendly as yours) and he has a vision cage that I carry into his room. He makes quiet quacking sounds on the way there and he has done that since I got him. I cover him up completely.

Once or twice I not only forgot to bring him to his room bit I also left his cage door open and he ddint move out of his age. I would not recommend leaving him out.

Can you cover the day cage?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Interesting. I agree, leaving out would I’m sure be a mistake. Too much to get into (and he’s too young, it’s not like it’s been same routine for years or anything). And I just know he’d find his way to me…even if it meant chewing a hole in the bedroom door. 🤣
Last night I made two very small changes (big for him though, but he really liked).
1.Instead of letting him crawl up to “nest” in my hair during tv time, I wrapped his fleece blankie around my neck (he doesn’t chew on it) and he snuggled in that. Hair hidden under a hat. At 9:40 HE climbed off my shoulder, down arm, and did his “I want to go somewhere” peep! Looked like wanted to fly. So I carried him to bedroom and he went right into sleep cage. First time it’s gone that smoothly in 4 1/2 months! Nothing got his adrenaline up, trying to extricate him (gently) from my hair.
2. Ozzy mentioned maybe trying the sleep cage out during the day. So not always associating with sleep. I brought it into living room last night. Gave him extra special treats in it, and he went in and out (on his own) for about 3 hours. He has always liked that cage.
3. Dave mentioned warm/dark over silent (since I have to choose). So I kept cage in same spot, in my room. He definitely has separation anxiety, but I feel like he “can’t be his best bird” hahahah and gain daytime confidence if he’s not sleeping. So there’s a bit of noise from me sleeping/walking, but he knows it’s me. And…in addition to covering with sheet, as usual, I added my fleece sweater on top of part of his cage. So it smells like me (I guess) and will hopefully add a little warmth.

Oh…he reached up and said “keees” and gave me a kiss before bed for first time in a week!!!! Just like before he presumably and probably got scared in his own room! And he settled right down. No growling. No trying to escape. :) :) :)

Crossing fingers this new routine will work for him. I will keep everything exactly consistent.
Thank you!!!!!!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would start by making his night cage part of his day time play time. Get it so he is comfortable with it when you are around during the day and not just something he is locked up in at night. Once it becomes his then maybe moving it back to night time might work better.
Ozzie,
Thanks for the wonderful advice! I have learned soooo much from you and Dave!!!!
I’ve been using it during the day. Out main room, while I’m making dinner, (at a safe distance, we eat meals together….for evening meal/chop I give it in that cage and eat my dinner beside him.
He’s been choosing to go in and out. We are also practicing step up several times (randomly) per day. In various rooms….same cage. Last two nights I’ve had no problem putting him to bed! He wants to stay with me, but will cooperate and head to his perch after a teeny bit of convincing (and a night night kiss, “keeees” as he says.
Dave mentioned dark/quite over sound if possible. So he’s back in his own room with blackout blinds. I experimented with not covering…but he didn’t like/didn’t settle. They second I added cover, he went to sleep.
Keeping his room at 73 overnight. He has been sweet, confident, playful, calm, yet has the energy to play play play.
Thank you (and Dave) soooo much!
Also, he is not growling anymore at bedtime. I think,not getting a stress response. Yay for that!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
4,833 Posts
Glad to hear things are going well and getting better. Things are always changing with parrotlets. Especially with wake / sleep cycles and if they are tied to the sun and moon cycles or weather patterns.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Boy, you can say that again! The recent time change affected him a little bit but not drastically. The biggest thing I’ve noticed is that since the weather has cooled down, we can’t get out on our daily stroller ride. I feel badly for him. He really really loved getting in his travel cage and getting in the stroller. So much to see! It’s going to be a long winter. :(
Yes the sleep situation has worked out beautifully. So happy for him!

·
Super Moderator
4,833 Posts
Boy, you can say that again! The recent time change affected him a little bit but not drastically. The biggest thing I’ve noticed is that since the weather has cooled down, we can’t get out on our daily stroller ride. I feel badly for him. He really really loved getting in his travel cage and getting in the stroller. So much to see! It’s going to be a long winter. :(
Yes the sleep situation has worked out beautifully. So happy for him!
I understand. Dealing a bit with this right now also. Rio, our baby bird, is very much an early to bed, early to rise bird that has his sleep cycle stuck to the sun cycle. I am saddened in that he basically wakes after I leave and goes to sleep before I get home. Currently trying to shift his cycle a bit so I can see him some during the week. Making a bit of progress but he has strong opinions on his sleep time.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ooo… sounds tough. Maybe that will change a little as he gets a little older? George is kind of funny. He’s not stuck to the sun schedule so much as his exact schedule. It took me a little bit to figure it out. It absolutely has to be lights out between 725 and 735. I can have lamps on in the room and TV but the overhead lights even though if they are on dimmers must be all the way out or he looks up at them and peeps at me. Then he snuggles on my shoulder to rest while I watch TV. He stays there until 945/10. If I try to put him to bed Before that, it takes me about 45 minutes. Then he sleeps in his room for 12 hours. It’s so funny how they pick their own schedules! I guess no different than us.
The funniest of all, he has chosen the exact same schedule that my dog had for 12 years. Even the times that he will eat. His favorite foods, he started playing fetch the day I brought him home without any training, it’s super funny. Talk about soulmates!
I really hope you are able to adjust the schedule for yours so that you can spend the desired time with him. I’ll bet he’s a cutie!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts