Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Administrator
5,396 Posts
Welcome to the flock. Love the pics.
Try something warm and mushy. Cooked noodles come to mind. Even warm bread, maybe wet. Anything with energy and birds like carbohydrates as much as everybody else.
He is young and lost everything. His parents, his nest mates, his flock mates.
He is very young to be removed from his home. Sounds like he has not fledged yet, maybe regressed a little. It happens with young birds. It is one of the reasons I recommend people keep parrotlets about 10 weeks. Being as young he is I would be concerned about his temperature. Make sure he stays warm. Is he perching well? Is he sleeping on the cage floor or perched. If on the floor I would maybe put some nesting down at first. If perched I would make sure the floor is padded.

• Helpful
Reactions: Honeycup

·
Administrator
5,396 Posts
Sounds like you folk have it well in hand. Millet is appropriate at this point. Let him have as much as he wants 24x7. It is chicken soup for the soul of a stressed parrotlet. Lots of good, quick energy there. Add variety as you can but I would not be stressed about it at this point.
The head bob “begging” in baby birds is normal. I got my Rio at 10 weeks and he kept bobbing for a few months. It gets less and less as the instinct fades.
My guys are very flock oriented. They tend to prefer to eat with us or when we are close. It is a security thing. Since this little one is so young you might want to try that and see if it helps.
Another thought. Start weighing him daily and keeping track. Issues will show up in a weight drop there many time before you notice other stuff. Also the weights can be helpful to the for the avain vet to know when you do his first wellness visit.

Reactions: ginziputzi

·
Administrator
5,396 Posts
Another thought on foods. Baby birds beaks are not strong yet. Some common seeds are too hard for them to remove the shell. You may want to try some nuts / seeds that have the shell removed. Maybe shelled sun flower seeds, shelled walnut or pecans.

Reactions: ginziputzi
1 - 3 of 3 Posts