Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As promised, here are a few quick pictures I snapped tonight. I'll spend some time getting good pictures at some point, but I'm being lazy :D

Here's the cage (with Ellie in her sleeping spot!) as it stands now. I have new perches on the way and hopefully they'll be here soon.

Here's a close-up shot of her sitting on my finger not particularly liking the camera.

Here's a shot of her just sitting in her current usual daytime place in the cage.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
That is just like my cage, right? Kings Cage?Great pictures, what a cutie!!! I know she will love having more toys when she settles in.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That is just like my cage, right? Kings Cage?Great pictures, what a cutie!!! I know she will love having more toys when she settles in.
Yup, it's the exact same cage you have. My wife liked the sand textured color, so that's the one we got. She really does seem a bit happier in the larger cage as compared to the smaller cage we had her in temporarily.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Is she going to be exposed to any natural sunlight in the room where she is? My p'let was kept in a dark room in a poultry cage when I rescued her and she craved the sunlight. It's part of their natural sleep sequence. She's a very cute little p'let, she looks like a sweet girl..green rump it looks like.

and molting a little...lol

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There is a window next to the lamp in that first picture and I do open the blinds for her during the day, but it really isn't much in the way of direct natural sunlight. I think I'm going to get her a nice full-spectrum lamp that I can turn on for a few hours a day. Yeah, she is moulting a bit and I'm sure she'll look nicer when she's all through. You know, she's supposedly a Pacific parrotlet but I never really looked at all her feathers and compared to pictures to be sure. I'll look at her tail tonight to see if she has any blue on it or not. Honestly at this point I can't remember what the sign at the store said...:eek:

·
Registered
373 Posts
As far as I can tell, she is definitely a Parrotlet. I don't think females have the blues on their tails, so you won't be able to catch any blue on her :)

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Ellie is absolutely beautiful - she looks like she is very sweet. She has a great set up - her cage is wonderful :)
Seeing as you have it in a corner she should feel secure and be able to settle in nicely.

Just a side note regarding the colors on the female: There is a subspecies of the Pacific Parrotlet - the Lucida - that the females sport the blue markings - My female is a Lucida - They have a blue actually more of a turquoise or teal on their rumps and eye streaks - some will have the blue markings on the edges of their wings when mature also.

http://www.parrotletranch.com/thelostlucida.html

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone :D

I talked to my wife and confirmed that she's a Pacific as I had thought, rather than a Green Rump, but from pictures I'd find it hard to tell the two apart, especially because she's a female.

Her new perches and things get here on Saturday. I bet she can't wait to get her little feet onto some rope perches.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Pado, I think plain Pacific girls have blue rumps too. Chipper's rump is a gorgeous turquiose! Irridencent!

Ellies, dad, I hope you take photos of her new things when they come! I love getting boxes in the mail!

I agree, the sand color is nice. Easy to clean the little poops off too! Chipper crawls all over her cage inside and out.

Oh, at some time you might think about getting a nice scale. It is good to weigh them then you can catch a problem earlier if they lose or gain. Here is my scale. Chipper loves it!

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Sally is it possible that Chipper could be a Lucida? Both are true Pacifics just from different areas. They are not mutations or hybrids.

Below is the difference in the Subspecies – as posted by Sandee Molenda from the Parrotletranch website:

Pacific Parrotlets
The most often-seen parrotlet is the Pacific or Celestial (Forpus coelestis). It originates in Peru and Equador. Approximately five and one-half inches in length and 28 grams, these olive green birds have pink beaks and legs. As with all parrotlets, they are sexually dimorphic. Males have dark cobalt wings, backs, rumps and streak behind the eye. Females are various shades of green with no blue and an emerald green eye streak.

There is one subspecies, the lucida Pacific parrotlet (Forpus coelestis lucida) where the females have blue rumps and eye streaks and, sometimes, wings although it is not as dark blue as the males. Males of this subspecies have silver gray backs and wings as well an eye streak that completely encircles the back of the head. This subspecies is found in Columbia. You can learn more about the lucida Pacific subspecies by reading our article entitled "The Lost Lucida <thelostlucida.html>".

Sandee L. Molenda

Here is the link to this: http://www.parrotletranch.com/parrotletinfo.html

·
Registered
794 Posts
Sandee Molenda you've actually met her...you luck thing. I read she and her husband studied p'let skulls at the Smithsonian....now SHE knows what she is doing...I wish she would visit here one night and we could all post or chat, whatever.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts