Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,706 Posts
What on earth?? That is a terrible story! You are right to speak to the owner about that. Anyone who knows anything about birds knows you don’t chase them around their cage. And the rudeness! I seriously hope you have a better experience today. Good grief.

·
Administrator
5,316 Posts
Sounds like the girl at the store did not understand her job. Hopefully it will go better today.

Some thoughts from my Rio. He has chewy / bitty spurts during the day. I have gotten so I keep a roll of toilet paper close and when he does I take out 3 sheets fold them up and let him chew at them. I interact with him with them until he gets the bitey out of him. It seems to help.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
What on earth?? That is a terrible story! You are right to speak to the owner about that. Anyone who knows anything about birds knows you don’t chase them around their cage. And the rudeness! I seriously hope you have a better experience today. Good grief.
My friend to the North...if I ran my business with that gal's attitude, I would not have played very long! I keep hearing that they are "younger"! However, I would think that the good Lord gave them a brain!!!! Sadly you cannot teach common sense!
I will try today, since I want to get my money's worth, but if she puts her hand in his cage again, I may have to put her in a cage!!!! I'll keep you posted!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Sounds like the girl at the store did not understand her job. Hopefully it will go better today.

Some thoughts from my Rio. He has chewy / bitty spurts during the day. I have gotten so I keep a roll of toilet paper close and when he does I take out 3 sheets fold them up and let him chew at them. I interact with him with them until he gets the bitey out of him. It seems to help.
Your advise is duly noted!!! Altho, he has me so confused now... he does NOTHING except sit on me or bite me...I just got him a new toy, thinking he could have fun shredding it, but he doesn't to anything he once enjoyed... not even a leisurely bath! But I will try your suggestion, there must be something other than I that he enjoys...I am not all that fun!
Give me strength!!! Please!

·
Administrator
5,316 Posts
Your advise is duly noted!!! Altho, he has me so confused now... he does NOTHING except sit on me or bite me...I just got him a new toy, thinking he could have fun shredding it, but he doesn't to anything he once enjoyed... not even a leisurely bath! But I will try your suggestion, there must be something other than I that he enjoys...I am not all that fun!
Give me strength!!! Please!
Have you tried bottle caps, medicine bottles or wobble toys? Rio does not care for static things so he tends to ignore but we are teaching him to toss bottle caps (we get ours off of Gatorade bottles) empty medicine bottles or ones with stuff that rattles in them so he makes noise as he rolls them around. We have a few hanging down from a cat stand so he hangs on it and pecks at them.

Newest trick is we have a small kids fishing rod and stuck some bobbers on the line and drag them on the floor. He loves chasing it and yelling at it.

Here is he with his cat stand. Notice him down at the bottom attacking a medicine bottle hanging there that has some rattle stuff in it.

Wood Interior design Flooring Floor Art

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Have you tried bottle caps, medicine bottles or wobble toys? Rio does not care for static things so he tends to ignore but we are teaching him to toss bottle caps (we get ours off of Gatorade bottles) empty medicine bottles or ones with stuff that rattles in them so he makes noise as he rolls them around. We have a few hanging down from a cat stand so he hangs on it and pecks at them.

Newest trick is we have a small kids fishing rod and stuck some bobbers on the line and drag them on the floor. He loves chasing it and yelling at it.

Here is he with his cat stand. Notice him down at the bottom attacking a medicine bottle hanging there that has some rattle stuff in it.

View attachment 47759
Ah, that's great Ozzie...I have tried medicine bottles tops, but never thought to put anything in one and have it hanging! How clever... I, hopefully, heading out for appt #2 at the bird store! I will keep you posted! If your Rio still being a little aggressive????
Thank you!

·
Administrator
5,316 Posts
Ah, that's great Ozzie...I have tried medicine bottles tops, but never thought to put anything in one and have it hanging! How clever... I, hopefully, heading out for appt #2 at the bird store! I will keep you posted! If your Rio still being a little aggressive????
Thank you!
A little bit but not as bad as he was. That is why I posted this stuff on your thread. These are some of the ways we have been keeping him occupied when he gets bitey. He gets it out or his system for a bit. We prefer him to tear up toilet paper than our hands. But it does cause a bunch of little toilet paper pieces all over we need to vacuum

Reactions: aanyka

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
A little bit but not as bad as he was. That is why I posted this stuff on your thread. These are some of the ways we have been keeping him occupied when he gets bitey. He gets it out or his system for a bit. We prefer him to tear up toilet paper than our hands. But it does cause a bunch of little toilet paper pieces all over we need to vacuum
Ha, I'd gladly clean up bits of toilet paper if I had the choice!
Sadly, only the young gal I dealt with at the bird store yesterday was working today, so I will wait for the store owner to come in on Sun to get his wings clipped properly! I do not want a repeat of yesterday!
I will make some toys this evening!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Oh...I have not yet tried to clip his wings, as the other gentleman suggested...I can try that when I get home!?!?
I don’t think clipping his wings would do anything to curtail his hormones. Have you tried eliminating issues that cause hormones to get worse, make sure he gets 12-14 hours of QUALITY sleep in an entirely dark and quiet area with no disruption or disturbances, making sure he’s not having a lot of soft materials around that may be causing him to become hormonal, etc?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I don’t think clipping his wings would do anything to curtail his hormones. Have you tried eliminating issues that cause hormones to get worse, make sure he gets 12-14 hours of QUALITY sleep in an entirely dark and quiet area with no disruption or disturbances, making sure he’s not having a lot of soft materials around that may be causing him to become hormonal, etc?
Oh, thank you for your response. I have been following any and all suggestions I have received from the forum!
The reason for clipping his wings was not to curb his hormones, it was to stop him from "dive bombing"! He would fly to the highest spot he could start from and fly at my head. This tiny bird looked more like a vulture when coming in on me. I have had two cornea transplants, and must protect my eyes at all costs. On many occasions he got too close to them.
I also, when he was little had a tent in his cage. That came out rather quickly when that was also suggested, by the forum and the bird store.
I live alone, on average he gets a minimum 13-14 hours of sleep every night. I'd be grateful to get half as much!
If you have any other thoughts, I'd love to hear them. The thought of rehoming him is heartbreaking but he is relentless. As I have stated, he does absolutely nothing except to try to get on me and if I am out of sight for a minute, he screams for me.
Thank you, Kitty

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Oh, thank you for your response. I have been following any and all suggestions I have received from the forum!
The reason for clipping his wings was not to curb his hormones, it was to stop him from "dive bombing"! He would fly to the highest spot he could start from and fly at my head. This tiny bird looked more like a vulture when coming in on me. I have had two cornea transplants, and must protect my eyes at all costs. On many occasions he got too close to them.
I also, when he was little had a tent in his cage. That came out rather quickly when that was also suggested, by the forum and the bird store.
I live alone, on average he gets a minimum 13-14 hours of sleep every night. I'd be grateful to get half as much!
If you have any other thoughts, I'd love to hear them. The thought of rehoming him is heartbreaking but he is relentless. As I have stated, he does absolutely nothing except to try to get on me and if I am out of sight for a minute, he screams for me.
Thank you, Kitty
Oh, I had also charged his diet a bit!

21 - 31 of 31 Posts