Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to say hello to everyone. I haven't been on the forum in a while due to being busy with life and everything that comes along with it.

So, I went camping this past weekend and had a blast, BUT in the middle of the night (Sunday) my neck started to itch, so I didn't sleep very well. I thought it was the jacket that I was wearing, it was pretty cold at night, and I slept with a little light weight jacket on. I didn't think anything of the itching because I have sensitive skin and the collar on the jacket was a little scratchy.

I wake up on Monday morning and start packing everything so we could get on the road, my girlfriend asks me what's wrong with my lips and I said that they were chapped. They felt chapped to me. She gave me a strange worried look and said okay. 20 minutes go by and she says please go and look at your face. So, I walk to the car to look at myself and my lips are swollen, and my face was super red.

So, I thought I had poison ivy, I had poison ivy when I was 9-years-old and it looked similar. We finish packing up the car and head home. (4 hour drive) We get home and the rash had spread to my back and chest and started to itch like crazy. I noticed that my eyes were a bit swollen, but nothing serious. I notice that the rash spread to my arms and legs.

I realized that it was poison ivy and start trying to figure out what is going on. I was thinking heat rash . . . No . . . Hives . . . Maybe . . . Some sort of an allergic reaction, but how and to what. When I thought that I had poison ivy I was thinking how, I never went in the woods. Strange. Allergic reaction, how? I didn't eat anything that I haven't had before, I didn't touch anything that looked BAD to touch. What's going on?

I planned on going to school rash and all Tuesday, but that didn't happen. My girlfriend wakes up Tuesday morning to get dressed and (I slept in the guest room so I wouldn't wake her with my tossing and turning) sits on the edge of the bed to see how I'm doing. She says, "babe, go and look at your face." My whole face is swollen, my eyes are so swollen that I can barely see and my lips are huge. I have pretty big eyes and lips, but my eyes were so swollen and my lips were huge. I start crying because it hurts and I don't even recognize myself.

She ended up staying home,and taking me to the doctor. The doctor tells me that I am having an allergic reaction to something and that I need to take steroids. :(

So, my whole upper body is covered in hives and my face is swollen, and I'm in serious pain. The swelling in my face has gone down a lot, but my neck, and under my eyes are still swollen. I still have hives, but not as bad. I have a type of hives called angioedema, and it the worst kind of reaction that you can have.

I must say, I would rather have four teeth extracted all at once then go through this. I am so miserable. I have no idea what caused this.

Well, I hope everyone and their little p'lets are happy and healthy. Take care!!!

·
Registered
794 Posts
Oh my goodness what in the world did you handle that your could react that way . There is no telling but if you go camping again it could happen again....take care of yourself sorry your miserable...sorry friend

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have no idea what I touched. The weird thing is, I go camping quite often and this has never happened to me. I spend a lot of time outdoors doing random things.

Yeah, I'm afraid that this might happen again if I go camping. Before this happened we were planning on camping at a another State Park 30 minutes from us, but I'm staying indoors until this is all cleared up.

Thanks Memmey, I can't wait to get better. I can't stand being locked up in the house. I've been so bored and itchy. *Sigh*

·
Registered
373 Posts
Oh gosh, that's terrible. There is nothing worse than being ITCHY! I had hives for a while for whatever reason and it was just awful. Wasn't nearly as bad as what you're going through now though. I'd be wary of going camping again!

Feel better soon!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Kathy! Yeah, no camping for me anytime soon. I'm a lot better today, but I still have hives on my arms and hands, and between my fingers. Baby is happy that I've been home all week.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts