Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
do your guys parrotlets have mood swings? lol. some days kiwi is sweet as pie, and other days (like today) she is a little oscar the grouch. maybe not enough sleep last night? heheh. hopefully not sick :(

Jen

·
Registered
78 Posts
my birds have totally had mood swings! I think it's normal. Sometimes their just having a bad day. Or woke up on the wrong side of the perch! LOL

Unless something else is accompanying the mood swings, and unless the mood swing is severe and completely abnormal from their regular behaviour, then I wouldn't worry about them being sick.

If your wondering, when their sick things will come up. You'll have a bird that's normally very sociable be completely scared of you, or want absolutely nothing to do with you, or is extremely aggressive suddenly. Or a bird that is normally very afraid and untrusting of you will suddenly want to cuddle and be with you (even tho that seems like a good thing, it's not if it's an overnight change that's severe). Other things like lethargic behaviour, extra fluffy and tired for a period of time (a few hours at least), unable to grip properly or is uncoordinated and unsteady, their poop is suddenly a different and very weird color, etc.

With the poo issue too. That is usually the first way to tell if a bird is sick. Their poo will suddenly change. Now, this is not a 100% indicator. If it stays weird for say, I dunno, at least 1/2 a day, I would take them to the vet. Birds poo will change with new diet or food, colored toys (they ingest the dye, that's why you use food grade dye and nothing else), or for some reason drinking lots of water. That will make real watery poops. If their poop is ever black or very very dark, I would watch it for an hour, and if it doesn't change then take them to the vet immediately. One time we fed Boogie, our green cheek, some watermelon, and his poo was a dark dark red color. But it cleared up within the hour with some feeding of regular food. If you feed a different food, and the poo is still dark or black, don't hesitate and don't wait, go immediately to the vet. That means that they are bleeding internally and they can die very quickly if not seen immediately.

Sorry bout putting a damper on the convo!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts