Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Recently, I have started to tell Oscar what I am going to do before I do it (Thanks to Sally :D). For example, when I go to get him out of his cage, I would say "Come outside", then give the "up" command.
Also, before I would give him scritches, I would say "head scratch", and then scratch him...
Well, it has been coming along pretty well. But, today I forgot to say "head scratch" before I gave him scritches, and he bit me! :eek: :p
I did this, - and he bit - two more times before I realized I forgot to say "head scratch"
Well, once I said "head scratch" he immediately put his head down for me to scratch!
It seems he is catching on!
He's making me so proud! :D:D

But shame on me for forgetting to tell him what I am going to do next! :D:p:p

Some other phrases I say to let him know what's going on:
-"Back to cage"
-"On my shoulder"
-"Ladder game"
-"To playstand"
-"I'm going to talk (or sing) to you now"

I'm hoping that eventually, he will learn to give a little nip when he doesn't want to do the activity that usually follows the phrase.
They should be given options, right??

I hope this works out well, as it already has begun to! :D:D

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Yes, I have always done that and it is very, very successful. Parrotlets really appreciate knowing what comes next. It keeps them calm and they do very well when you do this.

I love the "Beaky, Beaky" when I scratch the little beak and rub it. She loves this SO MUCH. When she is nippy, this calms her right away! It is precious.

I'm so glad it works for you also.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
I'm so glad. I thought you had just thought of it also. It is super fun! I also like having Chipper feel at ease! It is also just good to learn words! Have you tried the "Beaky, Beaky?" I need to take some video of that.

I say "Come, come, come" in a playful voice and I tap the lowest rope perch. She will come unless she just wants to come later. That is fine too. She ends up coming to the front door. They are SO smart. I like to give choices too, she can stay in and play if she wants.

She can quack on cue and (usually) ring a bell when I ask her. Not always, ha. Have you found it is calming for Oscar?

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Nick and Sally -- I have begun to tell Kiwi what I was going to do or what I'm doing if she is sitting on my shoulder and I have noticed that there are a couple things she seems to recognize...particularly the head scratch. Sally --you're so right...these birds are very smart. Nick -- sorry that you took a hit from Oscar when you didn't announce the head scratch..too funny. Whether we want to admit it or not...they do keep us in line ;)

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
I don't blame them for being nippy. They are so small! They need to make sure they don't get hurt. Wild birds, I try not to forget it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts