Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

Opinions/advice needed!

418 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  mdmaroon 
#1 ·
Hi friends!
It seems as I post here mainly when I have a question haha. But I do have one, so I may be getting a dog this Thursday. And the pooch will be a indoor dog most likely. And she will most likely have a flea and tick collar of sorts. So, is there any brands I should stay away from for Micahs (my parrotlet) safety? As in is there one I should stay away from so the sent or such doesn’t effect Micah? I would like to get a flea and tick collar or medication but, if it could hurt Micah, or even kill him then I don’t need to be going for the ones that could cause harm to the birb. So does anyone have any collars or brands I should stay away from?

#2 · (Edited)
Instead of a collar, I would suggest one of those flea and tick poisons that you put behind their head. Then just don’t let the bird near the dog for a few days after. Also keep the bird away from the floor as the dog may shed hair that is covered in the product.

I think collars release flea poison in the form of dust, whereas this Advantage stuff is an oily liquid. It won’t get airborne, so it’s easy to keep the bird away from it. It’s not going to go from the floor or the dog and get into the bird’s beak.

I had cats and that’s what I used. I think it was called Feline Advantage, but there is one called Canine Advantage for dogs.

The good thing is, it seems like you only need to use it once, and then there will be no more fleas in your house. I only had to do it a couple of times ever, in 17 years of owning cats.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.