Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sunshines flying skills have improved so much. I think he is now "thinking" about flying to my hand or head as it seem like his flight pattern has shifted to the left quite a bit and I can feel the air moving as he flies past me. The other day he actually hit my forehead!
I sit next to his cage with a lap top on my lap and he spends a lot of time watching my "mouse" hand. If it moves to quickly he climbs back into his cage.
He comes out of his cage first thing now to eat his treats from the playgym. The treats are nutraberries and or avicakes and millet. He chows down the millet and I can hear the nutraberries hitting the bottom of the gym so the little bugger is actually picking them up and dropping them. It would be nice if he ate them lol.

He comes out whenever the door to his cage is opened and sits on a perch facing me. He still chirps so sweetly. Step up in the cage is not as easy he flies away. I still can not have him come out on my finger. He is still so skittish but he appears to like us as he will focus on us when we are in the room. Hubby said when I left the room he was flying around looking for me.

We tried to have him go into his travel cage last friday and he wanted no part of it and it was only one night so we left him home. I told him about all of the fun he missed when I got home so I am sure next time he will just hop right in! :)

While I would love to have a cuddle bird, I also am enjoying this part of our lives. I can give scritches at bedtime, and I have started to also put another finger on him as I do so he is getting used to having two fingers touch him. In the morning he licks my finger and I say kisses and he licks my finger lol, I can give him a couple of pets on his upper back.. I know patience is key...... but it is so hard....

·
Registered
5,059 Posts
Sounds like Sunshine is coming along slow, but steady. I like what you are doing and one day, he will come out of his shell and start cuddling! I just know he will! Years ago, I had a few budgies who were skittish, but it took a whole year to get them to calm down. They were all from the same clutch, so this told me that there was something genetic going on that made them all skittish. Just like parrotlets...you have some who cuddle you right away and some who take a while. Keep working at it. You're doing great!

David and Vicki

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like Sunshine is coming along slow, but steady. I like what you are doing and one day, he will come out of his shell and start cuddling! I just know he will! Years ago, I had a few budgies who were skittish, but it took a whole year to get them to calm down. They were all from the same clutch, so this told me that there was something genetic going on that made them all skittish. Just like parrotlets...you have some who cuddle you right away and some who take a while. Keep working at it. You're doing great!

David and Vicki
Thanks David, last night I put the pepper top w/seeds on the dish on the playgym and he loved it. That is huge in my picky eaters world!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts