Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am new to owning a bird. Should I get one or two parrotlets? I have heard that they get detached from people when they have a bird-friend, but my main purpose of getting ONE (not two) is for me:confused. I need different opinions PLEASE!:confused:

·
Registered
256 Posts
Hi & welcome! From what I have read, you would be best to get one parrotlet if you want him to interract with you and stay sweet. I also think it's best to take your time and find a good breeder that spends the time actually handfeeding and playing with and socializing the babies. I spent years looking for the right person. It was the breeder that swayed me to buy from her. She was very sweet to them, and has help from teenagers playing with them daily. Good luck with whatever you decide. This is a very friendly site with lots of info from our wonderful members.:)

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Carole gives good advice! I'd start with ONE and form a really good bond with that one. Getting two parrotlets at the same time, I doubt you'd ever really bond with either bird. I bought my parrotlets together as an already bonded pair. It's been extremely difficult to bond with them. I love them so much and they are very happy parrotlets, but just don't love people too much. Also, buying a very socialized baby from a breeder (and really make sure you are getting a socialized baby!) is great advice also! Good luck!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum! I agree with the above posts: having one that is hand-tamed and socialized increases your chances of having a bird that will bond with you. I had just one parrotlet for over a year and a half and we were able to form a close bond. I recently found him a neighbor, though (after the guilt from leaving him alone while I worked finally got to me, and his new friend was too sweet to pass up), and the relationship I'd had has definitely changed, but he still allows some cuddle time and head scritches. They're currently housed separately, and I think it will remain that way indefinitely. From what I've heard, parrotlets housed separately stay "sweeter", but perhaps more experienced owners can provide their own thoughts on the matter. :)

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
I would suggest you get one P'let at first, see how the two of you do together, and you'll have plenty of time to form a bond with the single bird. Later, if you would like a second, especially if you're gone long hours, you can get the second bird, house it separately, form a bond with that one. The two birds can have out time together and get to be pals, and if all goes well you may (or may not) want to cage them together at some point.
Reta

·
Registered
226 Posts
I'm going to agree with everyone on getting single bird to start with particularly if it is your first time owning a bird. Later on if you feel the need for a 'buddy' you don't even have to get another p'let. I actually got my p'let to be a companion for my Pionus. They are of course housed apart, but the noise, movement, and bird interaction is still there for when I'm not home and it hasn't disturbed my bonding with the Pi.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey thanks a lot everyone. I will be going to a breeder in LA next week and was wondering how to tell which bird to choose. Any inside info? I guess I'm just kind of making this a newbie thread, so I have another question. Since I have heard that parrotlets should be fed a mix of seed and pellet, do you physically mix them together? I have been thinking on getting Harrison's mash and mixing it up with some good seed. I would, of course, gradually increase the amount of pellet in the mixture. Also, next June I will be gone for three weeks but my family will be here. Will the parrotlet be OK if it gets fed and lightly interacted with by the other family members? Sorry for all the questions... lol:)

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
I read that too before i got my parrotlets -that they needed a good seed mix. While it is good to have, I don't give it as a part of their regular diet anymore. I only put seeds out as a treat and they must forage for it. They love to forage. Their regular dish of dry foods always has:
Zupreem tiny fruity pellets
Roudybush mini pellets
Harrison's mash
Goldenfeast Bee Pollen
Goldenfeast Chammomile Flower
Sometimes I'll add some Goldenfeast Anise, sprinkle a tiny bit of Treat Petite, and hibiscus flower (all made by Goldenfeast)

I give fresh vegies/fruits in a different dish so as not to spoil the dry stuff, b/c the fresh can only stay in a short time.

I also feed them a meal of cooked beans 2x a week, and Beak Appetite 2x a week. The seed mix I offer for foraging is Volkman's Parrotlet mix.

The thing you have to know is if you get a color mutation parrotlet, you have to be careful with the pellets. There are reports of some pellet brands causing problems for the mutations.

As far as choosing your bird, honestly, I'd go to meet them and see which one chooses you! My sun conure chose me. I had no plans of buying him or any bird that day, but he chose me, and I was in love. It's been a match made in heaven ever since. :) Good luck and let us know how it goes! I hope you have a new little friend soon.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow that food situation sounds pretty intense. What if I just gave them the fruity pellets and Harrison's mash- with seeds for foraging? Also, any opinions on males or females? Which one should I get and how are they different?

·
Registered
226 Posts
One of the things I love about parrots is all the fun stuff you get to feed them! I love mixing up mashes and cutting up veggies and such to make little meals for beaks! I gotta try that Goldenfeast Chammomile Flower!

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Wow that food situation sounds pretty intense. What if I just gave them the fruity pellets and Harrison's mash- with seeds for foraging? Also, any opinions on males or females? Which one should I get and how are they different?
I would recommend feeding only non-colored pellets that are not artifically flavored (and colored). Unnecessary chemicals added to the diet in my opinion. Zupreem makes a natural colored pellet that would be okay to use. Harrison is the best pellet, all organic, and with more research than any other company does. They have a good amount of Vit. A (not too high as some pellets do), and Vit. D3 and E. You can buy the small size of Harrison rather than the mash. If the bird prefers a smaller size, it's very easy to put the pellets into a food processor and grind them a bit smaller.

There is a "sticky" in the diet sub-forum and many other threads that give information on diet. It is important that they have fresh vegetables and a little fruit, in addition to pellets, and some grain/seed mix preferably soaked overnight (to start germination) or sprouted.
Reta

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
One thing that I've learned about raising birds, is offering a variety of foods. Offer fresh veggies, fruits, grains, etc. it helps keeps things interesting, plus it's great having birds that eat a variety of foods.

I would also suggest veering away from coloured pellets. I do feed them to jack (will be switching to naturals once the bag is lower) but i ensure they are not the largest part of his diet. he mainly eats mash, which is either one i made myself, or beak appetit. I, like kristen, offer seeds as well, but only in his foraging toys or training.

Definitely check out the sticky thread in the diet section.

As for choosing a male or female, I'd say there is no real reason to choose one over the other. Both can make wonderful pets, and both can be nippy little toads. I think that sex does not determine temperment. Socialization has a key role. I would definitely get a baby from a breeder who socializes and handles their babies on a daily basis. As suggested, go and meet them, hold them and let yourself be picked. And don't be afraid to walk away if none seem to click with you. I did it, and I don't regret not getting one. The Parrotlet I ended up getting was worth the walking away i did the first time.
Oh, it's been said that males are more likely to talk then females, but not all males talk. I believe Jack was born in may and i've had him since september and thus far no words. THough he does mimic me when i say peep peep. lol.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Which beak appetit should I use? Do you use it instead of pellets? Also how big of an issue is the food problem with mutations?

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I've read that pellets aren't good as the main source of diet for mutations. I don't fully understand why though. I'd likely buy the smallest bag of pellets and offer it mixed in with the beak appetit. but that's me

As for what flavour. I'd get the small packs and try one of each. Jack thus far has liked the nuts for alfredo and veggie delight.

I offer mash or beak appetit every morning for breakfast then offer pellets during the day and soaked seeds and sprouts in the evening

1 - 14 of 14 Posts