Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ever. Tealy took off for a romp around the house, only. Because she didn’t have a good grip on me. I had an maxforce ain’t trap on the lower kitchen cabinet and she managed to land perfectly on it. I grab her quickply but she had a tiny drop of, I’m assuming, was ain’t gel on her top beak. I rushed to grab a paper towel to clean it off but she moved in my hand and I could see the gel drip to her lower beak. I’m about 80% sure that she got some in her mouth. I rinsed her mouth and beak and let her bite down on napkins to soak up anything inside her mouth.

I hope and pray she will be fine. Anyone know how fatal ain’t gel is to birds By Maxforce? The ones I have were given to us by management. They are these square like shape containers made from clear plastic.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Mario, Pat and our Tealy.

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
I know what you are talking about! I live in Florida, which has trillions of ants all over the place! I had ant traps, but they were the kind that the ant goes into and has dinner, then takes the food to his/her colony and feeds other ants and they ...die! It is safer than gel. Keep an eye out when Tealy --1. Breathes 2. Poo Do's . Fast breathing is serious and loose poo do's are something you must watch out for ( Looser than normal and more frequent).

The ant poison is a residual poison, which means it doesn't kill quickly. Ant poison is weak and nothing like rat or mouse poison. All you can do is watch her. If she starts to act lethargic, then take her to an animal hospital or get her to a vet as soon as possible.

You did a really good job of helping her. Excellent! I feel she will be okay, but keep an eye out on her. Stay up late tonight with her.

Keep in touch!

Dave

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello David,

Thank you for you kind words and support. I called a veteran and they told me to call poison control. I think you pretty much covers what they would tell me to do. I will keep an eye on her and take her to a vet hospital if she needs it. I just pray that she will be fine. 🤞

·
Super Moderator
4,617 Posts
I think you will be good. Years ago they used aggressive plosions but nowadays they use much lower levels aimed at the species they are after. Thus an ant poison would be aimed and ants and not birds so mostly likely might make Tealy feel bad for a bit but would not kill him unless he had a lot of it.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I did a bit of googling and found that the active ingredient is Fipronil.

It appears to be toxic to specific types of organisms, especially insects.

It disrupts the nervous system of invertebrates, mostly. Some mammals and birds are affected too, but many are not.

Since it has been two days, I hope your bird is okay.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi everyone. I just want to follow up with you about Tealy. She is doing fine and gave us quite a scare. I’m very happy that she is fine and her self. Thank you for your support and comments! Tealy thanks you too 🐦

·
Super Moderator
6,613 Posts
Yikes! Phew so glad that turned out alright. Hubby dropped a pill capsule on the ground once and jasper snatched sit up so fast in his beak and then flew away with it! My husband was so freaked out, he couldn't tell if he dropped it or not. I did find it later on the floor with a little dent but no punctures. It sure is scary when they get ahold of something they shouldn't!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts