Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Nuts seem to be too acceptable

Hola from Bucerias. I am a new owner of Chico, a Pacific Green male, one year old. I have had him just over a month and we are getting fairly well acquainted. He isn't wary of my head at all, in fact he takes his treats from from my lips, but he is very afraid of my hands. I suspect during his first year he was left in a cage with little or no training and probably a lot of hand grabs from inexperienced handlers. I am slowly trying to get him used to my hands, but he really gets spooked.
I think I may have a problem with his nutrition. Daily I give him fresh green salad vegetables or small chunks of fresh fruit with sliced almonds and cocoanut pieces, a fresh hibiscus blossom and sunflower seeds. Always in his cage are growing radish sprouts, alfalfa sprouts, and two edible plants, as well as a bowl of bird kibble and of course fresh water to drink and bathe in.
As a treat in training, I give him unshelled pistachio nuts, without salt. He is incapable of shelling the pistachios, getting confused with the tough shell and dropping the nut in his cage.
I don't think he has ever tried the kibble or the fresh salad, whether fruit or vegetable. He nibbles occasionally on the hibiscus flowers. His diet seems to consist of the sunflower seeds and the pistachio treats. I have tried moving the dishes around in the cage, making the seeds less accessible but to no avail. He is very happy and vocal even copying a special whistle I make for him and doesn't seem to be lacking energy but I am just concerned about this limited diet. Does anyone have or had a similar problem?

·
Super Moderator
5,102 Posts
Hi!
One major concern - our mouths are full of bacteria that can make parrotlets very sick, so no more treats from the mouth.
That diet seems to be seriously lacking in carbohydrates. Have you tried a commercially available diet as a base, like a good seed mix or pellets? Sunflower seeds are VERY high in fat, which can cause serious problems for them. He shouldn't get more than a couple a day.
I assume by kibble you mean pellets? Birds have to be taught that they are food. He might take to a seed mix better to start, as I am concerned that he is missing crucial nutrients, and then you can work on teaching him about pellets. It doesn't sound like he had someone taking proper care of him before, if he doesn't know what to eat, so I'm glad he's with you so you can teach him to be a happy bird! :)
On, and any fresh fruit or veggies (wet food) should be removed after about an hour to prevent bacterial growth.
We'd LOVE to see pictures!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
4,781 Posts
Definitely stop the mouth trick. Mammal saliva has bacteria that can be deadly to birds.

If he has a favorite treat stop giving to him in his feed and use it only for training. For my hen it was walnuts. Once you know his training treat then start hiding it around and under your hands till he starts daring to go there for his treat. Do not grab. This is how I trained my female rescue Jules to give up her fear of hands. It took some time but now she seeks my hands out just for a treat.

Also she was a seed junky. She would pick through it eating just the ones she liked. I never could get her to pellets but did get her to nutriberries which is a seed and pellet nugget that makes a good compromise. You guys might want to give it a try.

Welcome to the site. Please post pictures and visit often.

·
Registered
5,685 Posts
What others have shared with you is good, I have nothing more to add, but wish to say welcome to the group! Good to see you here! :)

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
A warm welcome!
When giving Ollie fresh foods he seems not to eat very much of it, yet his poops are very green and normal. He must be eating some of it, perhaps he needs a little. Daily on a bed of romaine lettuce he gets a teaspoon of veggies warmed in the micro---these were frozen, now re-heated for 15 seconds. It is a mix that I had made. A fresh zucchini slice or cucumber slice is next to his dish on a cage clip. He loves plain cooked oatmeal.
He gets half pellets that he picks through and dehydrated fruits/veggies.

Keep trying. You are right in stating he may not have been handled much. Best to you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.