Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you feeding Nutriberries to your parrotlets, are you feeding them as the only source of food beyond fresh greens, fruits, and veggies or are you using them to supplement your regular seed and pellet mixture? Milo has been unwilling to eat anything other than seed so far. He rarely if ever touches his pellets and I can't get him to do anything beyond nosing around in a dish of greens and veggies. I picked up some nutriberries though, and so far he seems to be cleaning them up. Would you recommend that I let him stick with the nutriberries exclusively while still pushing the greens and veggies, or should I continue to provide the regular pellets and seed along with the berries (while of course still pushing the greens)?

I did have a bit of progress with the greens today. I chopped up some kale, green beans, carrots, and a hard boiled egg with the shell in the food processor. When I offered it I sprinkled a few safflower seeds and sunflower seeds over the top. After Milo ate the seeds off the top he started nosing through the veggies looking for more. He sampled a few things in the process and he did seem to enjoy the egg a bit. This is by far the most success I've had up to this point. I think I'll stick with it for a few days and see if it gets any better. Those of you lucky enough to have birds that love greens, what temperature do you feed them at? Do you let them come up to room temp. or do you feed them straight out of the fridge? Do the birds seem to care either way?

Thanks for all of your help!

Jeremy

·
Registered
536 Posts
Sounds like he may be coming around.....they usually try new things when they find out they are tasty and you're not trying to kill them LOL! Paulie doesn't eat large amounts of the "other stuff', but he does eat at little of lots of things.
He will eat almost any thing cold, but he seems to like soft food over hard, crunchy stuff [except for seeds, of course] He likes boiled egg, sweet potato, bell pepper seeds [his fav] romaine lettuce, corn.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Oh, yess he likes Nutriberries and Avi-cakes too, but the Nutriberries have to go into his coconut swing...not his regular food dish!

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Jeremy,

Nutriberries should be used as treats.

Try to get him to eat as many different foods as possible while he is young. As he gets older he will become more stubborn.

I suggest you try pellets as well, we use harrisons fine or extra fine as a base for our birds diet and they are still healthy after 8 years.

Regards,

Art S.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies, guys. I've been feeding a combination of about 70% pellets and 30% seed but Milo seems to be pretty much ignoring the pellets. However, with the berries he eats the entire thing and since I started sprinkling of few of them on top he seems to prefer them. I'm not quite sure what to do about that. Maybe I'll try a different brand of pellets. The brand (of pellets) that I have is what they were giving him at the pet store, so I started with that for the sake of consistency. Maybe I'll switch it up to something different and see what happens. Anyway, the nutriberry package indicated that it was meant to be a complete food source so I wandered what your opinions were on that.

Maybe I just need to bake the pellets into some birdie bread and see what happens. I'm planning to bake some today anyway, maybe I'll do two batches. On an unrelated note the poor little guy is just dying to get to know our budgies. The two cages are in the same room and anytime Milo is out he's plotting ways to get over to the budgie cage. I've let him sit on top of the cage of few times with careful supervision, but I'm afraid to let it go too far. I worry that the budgies will start pecking at him through the bars. To add to that, we're getting a cockatiel next week. The bird belongs to the mother of a friend of ours, and she's reached an age where she can't really give the bird what it needs. It's still well fed and cared for, but other than that it basically sits ignored in it's cage. They asked us if we'd be willing to take the 'tiel in and I'm just too much of a softie to say no. Luckily she already found a home for her Cockatoo, otherwise we'd probably be getting that one to! We'll just have to see how that goes, adding a fourth bird to our flock. One more and the birds in the house will outnumber the humans!

Jeremy

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Jeremy,

If I gave you 30% chocolate and 70% broccoli, what would you eat?

If I replaced the Broccoli with ice cream, what would happen?

You may have a tough time getting him to switch but I'd work on it.

Regards,

Art S.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
:D :D :D

Unfortunately, you will be at 500 pounds in three years if you keep this diet going. Which is sort of the point.

Regards,

Art S.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So are you suggesting that I eliminate the seed all together? Maybe only feeding the seed occasionally?

·
Registered
7 Posts
We usually make up a batch that will last for about five days in the refrigerator of different vegetables along with some brown rice and corn. The vet suggested that we give our parrotlet and cockatiels HOT peppers. He said the hotter, the better. We give them the vegetable mixture in the morning, take it out at night and give them a seed only cup (seeds for small hookbills). We've been doing for ever since we got our cockatiels (10 years ago) and our parrotlet Josephine (5 years ago).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts