Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well in her misery her food drive is not so high so I picked up some nutri berries to try to get her to eat more. She LOVES them!! How bad are these for her to give them to her more often after she is "Better"? She gets a wide variety of foods (Harrisons, Goldenfeast, Zupreem (The yellow stuff with veggies) and cooked food) but if these are horribly bad I will cut them out once she is getting around better.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Nutriberries are probably a good addition as long as they are balanced with the other foods you mentioned and she isn't eating the nutriberries exclusively.

Personally I'd limit to one Nutriberries per day for a P'let to insure the other food is being consumed also :)

·
Registered
835 Posts
I think they are OK, but don't choose to use them. I think they use some excessive ingredients and I don't like Lafeber's online book - their suggestions on parrot keeping by Dr. Lafeber are so outdated and not good in my opinion. It i s an ok start to a better diet though. Most birds, once eating nutriberries, will try other things.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Chipper likes them. There are lots of kinds now. Just one more thing to offer along with many other foods.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Nemo will eat them if there's nothing else to eat. Otherwise, he just simply chucks it to the bottom of his cage, ready for disposal :rolleyes:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Just make sure it's not all nutri-berries. :)

I had a post about my bird, Kismet, a few weeks ago about a food allergy that my vet thinks stemmed from the fruit (the red) nutri-berries. Kismet is now on the regular (brownish) nutri-berries and doing just fine. As long as it's a varied diet, I don't think you'll have a problem! :D

·
Registered
835 Posts
A lot of times, the excessive ingredients can and to lead to allergy problems - reducing ingredients to bare minimum, closest to nature as possible is, in my eyes, ideal - as these parrots are not considered domestic yet and should not have to adapt to artificial processes and ingredients

1 - 11 of 11 Posts