Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up Emmy on Friday morning. It's now Monday morning and she's still not eating.
She has pellets, different fresh fruits and vegetables have been offered and dampened pellets. I finally gave her millet today because I was getting worried about her. She IS eating that.
What now?
When do I start to panic?:(
I'll call the breeder tomorrow, because his shop is closed today.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Was she weaned onto pellets? If not, she isn't going to eat them.

I don't think most people feed their p'lets strictly pellets anyways because it can cause kidney issues with them because they are just so small. Most of us use seed and fresh foods, with pellets offered if they want to eat them.

I feed mine seed, beak apetit, fresh veggies and fruits. If anything, go pick out some high quality seed and see if your p'let will eat it.

Oh and how old is it?

·
Registered
794 Posts
If it is still young and was just weaned, then it definately needs millet at all times, and a variety of other foods: pellet, seed, veggies, fruit, nuts.

Try and get the best quality stuff at first.

This is her third morning with you. She is still adjusting and may be scared. Do not try to take her out, and do much with her until later in the week when she is eating better.
All birds in a new environment need millet for almost the full first week, whether they are eating or not.
This gives them higher energy, and they feel better. They have more energy to eat, and explore and be their curious selves, thus making them more comfortable faster.

So just let her relax and adjust in her cage for the next few days. Be sure to offer most of the things listed above.
Provide millet at all times for the next few days. Then take it out for a few hours each day.
Ensure she does not eat millet full time.

Good Luck! :)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Millet, millet, millet! High protein, high energy, low fat. A staple for new and young birdies.

Did you get sack of food that your breeder fed Emmy?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts