Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve realized that I think I’m cooking with a non stick pan and air frier. My parrotlet seems find and has never been in the room when I cook. But I’m paranoid I’ve poisoned her for the long haul. I am going to buy a safe pan. But I’m worried about my airfrier. I use it for everything. Does anyone have any experience with this? I live in an apartment and I’m worried my roommate will keep cooking with non stick.

·
Administrator
5,147 Posts
The issue is telfon out gassing when overheated. Death with that method is supposed to fairly immediate. With cookware it is usually done when somebody burns up a pan by leaving it on high. Other method involves self cleaning oven during the cleaning cycle. If your little one is fine now then you are most likely safe.

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
I agree with Ozzie. I think you would see respiratory effects very quickly and if you see that, you would need to get to a vet immediately.

I think the fact that your bird is not in the kitchen is good and you can always turn in the stove fan and/or open a window if you have one in the kitchen. I am sure I have used non-stick pans from time to time over the years but with some precautions - like not having her in the room and not overheating the pan. Not using Teflon or some of the other non-stick coated pans is certainly much better though - for both of you.

·
Administrator
5,147 Posts
Also, the Teflon out gassing is mostly a factor of older cheaper Telfon. Newer products have a much less issues with this as the problem was discovered and corrected. Nobody wants to create products that harms pets, it is bad for business so good companies have stop using those type of things.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The issue is telfon out gassing when overheated. Death with that method is supposed to fairly immediate. With cookware it is usually done when somebody burns up a pan by leaving it on high. Other method involves self cleaning oven during the cleaning cycle. If your little one is fine now then you are most likely safe.
That’s what I thought but I wanted to be sure. I’ve seen no signs of through in her. But to be safe I got new pans with no PFAS. Good for everyone. And I will make sure to keep her out of the kitchen if I use my airfrier

1 - 5 of 5 Posts