Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are Parrotlets known for being quiet or loud? I have a 6 month old and it just seems like he is going through the trouble twos. He is very loud, chirping and screeching, and I live in a split level apartment and sometimes feel bad for my neighbors...

Any advice?:eek:

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've read that parrotlets make great apartment pets because they don't make much noise. Mine is only 2 1/2 months old and doesn't chirp loudly very often. But when he does, it's only for a minute or two!

·
Registered
11,181 Posts
Depends on the p'let. Some p'lets are louder than others.... and males more so than the females. When Wasabi gets going, it can be hard on my ears, but more so when he's doing it perched on my shoulder. Usually his "loud" moods are only 10 min/day. My husband handles the noise level pretty well and he has tinitis which makes him more sensitive than most.

In the summer when I have the windows open, my neighbors hears the birds, but she says that she thought that they were new wild birds... so I guess no louder than that.

But compared to other parrots, yes, parrotlets are much quieter.

·
Registered
747 Posts
I have some that hardly make a peep and one that will yell LOUDLY all day long if I am in sight. He is one territorial little turd that thinks I do not belong in this house :p Of course, now that he is feeling nesty (not that his mate agrees), he has gotten to the point that I have to wear gloves when feeding him so that if he gets to me before I can get out of the cage, my hand survives the encounter.

Overall, though, mine are all pretty quiet except for their short chatty spurts, unless they are yelling at each other, but that's easy enough to stop with a visual barrier.

How often and long does your bird get loud? Can he see out a window where he might be yelling at the birds outside? Is he really territorial and yelling at you (like my Pip)?

Finding what he is yelling at and why may help you to figure out how to make him happier and quieter :) Of course, that is assuming he is yelling and not just expressing his zest for life at the top of his lungs ;)

·
Premium Member
12,210 Posts
He may be contact calling for you. Sometimes just answering helps. Sometimes ignoring it and then when he is quiet going in and praising or interacting works. I used the second method and it took about two weeks for Baby to realize if she was noisy she got no where.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Mine yells if I interact with one of the other birds... Or if I rattle a bag... Or if I run water.. Or if he sees the budgies... Or if he hears the budgies... Or if he wants out... Or if he is out with the budgies and one looks at his budgie girlfriend... Or or or...lol... He is loud at times but I cannot hear him outside or in the downstairs appartment.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The bird is my roommates and he is gone a lot and hearing the bird chirp loudly, gets really annoying. I just don't know what to do..most of the time I just put the bird to bed early. I believe the bird is a bit territorial and enjoys being with him rather than me since they do have a special bond. I am just hoping the bird loudness is just a phase...

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I've never had another parrot so I don't know how Bluey compares. But, he is loud and is constantly loud. He loves to yell when he's in the cage fighting with his toys and when wanting our attention. Even when he's out, he gets excited easily and will then start yelling. He's really only quiet when he's eating or when he's tired at night. We call him our energizer bunny who just doesn't stop.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I've had only males. They all were similar in loudness. Females, tend to be less loud. But with any bird, they can have their moments. I find my conure, less loud then my parrotlet, and she's twice his size. Her call is louder but very rarely heard. My parrotlet is almost always chattering. Most of my parrotlets were older and fostered/rescued. But my current guy, I got as a baby. And I noticed as a baby he was quiet, as he got older he got louder and more frequently loud. Maturity thing.

ADDING, if you're concerned about your neighbors, could you ask them if they hear him, if animal noise is a problem? It may seem loud because you are in the same area, but between walls and other household noises, they may not hear him.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts