Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Administrator
5,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Parrotlet night time routines are always a dicy thing. Over the years I have had many a routine with my different guys at different parts of their lives.

With Jules it was a very drawn out ritual involving hand caves and walnut treats a bit of a cuddle and then the ritual running around my head to get my attention enough to take her to her cage. And it had to be me that took her. My wife just did not rate as being good enough for a caged nite-nite to the point that once when I was in the hospital for a week Jules slept in her cage room because she would not be caged for bed.

Rio on the other hand is a bit different. There is a certain amount of cuddle time, got to get a few scritches in. Then a few minutes of intense biting. We have to guess the exact time of a nite-nite or he would fly back out when we took him to his cage / bedroom. Too soon would excite him and we would start the process over with a delay.

Then there is what started this week. Basically a bit of a cuddle, a bit of a chew. Some chirping to let us know if he is ready. And the new wrinkle. If we do not get him soon enough he says the heck with it and flies to his cage and yells at us to close it up and turn out the light. You got to love a parrotlet.

Anyway, so what is your little ones sleep habit and night time ritual?

·
Super Moderator
5,184 Posts
Tumi wants to be put in his sleeping cage at the EXACT moment he asks, or I suffer the consequences.
The bigger issue is his DEMAND that I am with him in the room while he is sleeping. If he can't see me, or thinks I walked out, he calls until I return and then he can settle down...maybe. Or maybe I have to take him out and pet him for a bit longer.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
I always tried for the 12 hours. Some days I was sucessful some I was not. Sunshine must nap a lot during the day because he comes alive around 7:30-8:30 that is his fly by time and where he hangs off the cage talking to me. He also will fly around the room doing laps and happy chirps. He then settles down on his perch and waits for me to bring him to his bedroom. He still quacks on the way but now I have started a donal duck type quack sound so we have a little chat on the way.

No snuggles for us (yet!).

·
Super Moderator
3,706 Posts
Kiwi has always been a good sleeper and is adamant on her sleep and wake times. When she was younger, if I didn’t respond immediately to her chirps to take her to her sleep cage (which is in a separate bedroom), she would fly there herself and call me. Now that she no longer flies, she bites me on the ears (not hard but enough to get my attention), chirps loudly and streeeeetches her body out in the direction of the bedroom like she is dragging me there herself. She is normally out with me for a few hours in the evening but if not, we need about 15 minutes of cuddles and scritches. I have been a little off her 7 pm sleep time schedule lately for a bunch of reasons but we got back on track last night and she was fussing for a snack and more scritches. Very unusual for her. I am going to be more vigilant going forward.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Right now, putting Pugsley to bed is easy peasy because he is already in his cage before that.:D I am only bringing him out during the daytime for now. Plus, he is still shy of hands, so no cuddling yet. So at about 8:00 I turn off the avian lamp and he has learned that means it is almost time for nite-nite. He will sometimes drink water and eat some more. He usually gets covered up by 8:30, but before that, I talk to him – he loves to chatter back. And then I sing him a little song, “Nite-nite Pugsley.” By the second verse, his little eyes are closing. (No wonder he has hardly stopped moving the whole day). Then he gets covered up. The first few nights I got him, he feared getting covered up, but now he loves it. He settles down right away, making happily making little grunts. He is sleeping about 12-13 hours every night. And he is full of beans the next morning!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Mila demands to snuggle in my hair before bedtime. When she gets tired she jumps on my shoulder and fluffs herself against my neck. She is so cute! When it is officially time to go back to the cage we always have a bit of a struggle. She will dive as deep into my hair as possible. She also sort of stops using her legs? The first time she did that I was so scared that she was injured, but it turned out to be a tactic against bedtime🙄. Untangling her from my hair sometimes takes a while because of that. When I have finally removed her she gets a few kisses and gets into her cage fairly easily. Although she attempts to jump back in my hair if I'm not careful.

She cannot really go without the bedtime snuggles. If she is not allowed to fall asleep in my hair she will protest and stay awake for a longer time. I am currently working on making her accept that she can sleep in her cage without falling asleep in my hair. She might be a bit spoiled😂.

·
Super Moderator
5,184 Posts
LOL. Have you tried a scarf or a hoodie? Tumi would climb under my hair when it was longer, so I used to offer alternative places to hide. I love the tactics against bedtime! I am glad to know that I am not alone in my fight.

·
Administrator
5,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What a character. The stop using legs part is a new one.

·
Super Moderator
5,184 Posts
When Tumi was a young bird, he would NOT settle down at all for bed. For a bit, I literally had to let him climb inside a small fleece bag (okay, yeah, that sounds weird) to try to get him to settle. He needed to be snuggled completely. But then he wouldn't settle down when I tried to remove him from the fleece bag to put him with his fleece snuggle in his cage, so I literally placed a "bagged" parrotlet on the floor of his sleeping cage, which might be the weirdest thing that one could ever do to try to get their bird to bed. I could totally see the "legs don't work" routine. Tumi used to scream for hours if bedtime wasn't perfect - he had to be snuggled and I had to stay in the room with him. He wanted to be snuggled completely, but he also needed to be able to see me at all times. The cage cover I sewed for his first sleeping cage was hysterical, with a window that rolled up to let me see me. In fact, bedtime is what drove me to this forum in the first place - so I know that it lasted for more than the first year of his life because I didn't join until he was already about 10 months old! Found my first ever post! - Help establishing a sleep routine | Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets

·
Registered
16 Posts
We are having the third parrotlet in our house. And our current one, Chizhik, who is living with us for the last 10 years, invented himself the special "going to sleep" routine. Yes, it was his idea, not mine ;):

Every evening he is flying into my palm, which has to be prepared into the correct "little boat" shape and lies down into it. If the place is not ready, he is screaming and flying back and forth. If the shape of "boat" is incorrect or my hand is wet he might bite it quite strong.
Then he begins to relax and to softly click his beak. After some 10 to 20 minutes I'm moving him into a cage and putting on a perch. We both enjoy this evening routine.

He knows his name very well. Sometimes, if he is overexcited or opposite, already too sleepy, I have to call him, telling that his "boat" is ready.

On this picture it's not an evening "sleeping boat", though. It's the different day-time shape.

Bird Finger Beak Feather Parrot

1 - 15 of 15 Posts