Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a set of Parrotlets (Boy's name is Blue) and (Girls name is Bella) we have had them since they were 3 months old, they are now 4 years old. We have newborns expected soon 5 eggs in the breeding box. These will be our first babies and we are looking forward to it. She laid them from Oct 3-11.

My questions are is there a special food needed for newborns?

The Breeding Box is located in the middle of the cage which is pretty tall. Once the eggs are hatched or before does the box need to be moved closer to the floor of the cage so they don't get hurt coming out of the cage? I don't want to disturb them if I can help it.

Thanks,

Kevin and Donna

·
Super Moderator
3,823 Posts
That’s a great photo - what beautiful birds! I will leave the discussion to other members who have experience with babies(I have none) but I will be watching for news!

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
All the best with your soon-to-hatch baby Chick'lets! Do you know how many of the eggs are fertile? If all, the first should have already hatched this weekend, since incubation is usually 19-20 days.
Will you be hand feeding or do you intend for the parents to raise them? Throughout the egg incubation period I supplement the diet of the parent birds with Miracle Meal and continue to give that all through the time they are feeding the little ones. I am sure there are many similar supplements out there available, but this just happens to be the one I chose and have had success. Along with the parents' regular diet and millet, they have soft foods (for example, soft cooked brown rice and mashed cooked mixed vegetables) with MM on the side. They gobble this up and feed their babies several times a day. Since I handfeed my babies starting at 2 weeks old with syringe dispensed hand feeding formula, I also offer MM in a small dish along with spray millet when they first start nibbling things on their own between 3 and 4 weeks old.
Wish you success and fun with Blue & Bella's offspring!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts