Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have only had Oliver for about six weeks now and although I would like to think he is smarter than the average Parrotlet, he probably isn't. He has very successfully learned three things he can do: 1) Go to the door of his cage if he is interested in getting out. I just ask him if he wants to play and he either goes to his door or ignores me & I go way. 2) Will always "kiss" me if I ask for a kiss. 3) When I put him on the carpet and place his "blankie" (an old hand towel we use for a poop protector) away from me, he will always run straight for the blankie when I tell him to get his blankie. He then sits on it until I verbally praise him and we do it all over again.

The reason I am telling you what he can do is because I would like to teach him some other "tricks" but don't know of anything else to try teaching him. I would like to know some tricks other people have taught their bird(s).

Oliver only responds to verbal/physical praise, i.e., kissing, good boy, petting, etc. He won't have anything to do with any kind of treat. So tempting him to perform for treats is not an option.

Any and all ideas will be appreciated.

Paula

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
That is so wonderful. I always say how important it is to talk to them and tell them what we are going to do. Play, get scritches, etc... You are really doing great!!!

I have taught Chipper to ring a bell, I say "Bing, Bing.." I taught her to "turn around" by holding a safflower seed above her head. She has to have the seed up there to do it, ha. I also say "Who's a Duck?" She then Quacks.

I also say "Poo" and she will poo if I have been holding her a while on my shoulder. She comes to the cage door to come out. They are SOOO smart. I also say "beaky." I then pet her beak.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Paula,

If you go on YouTube, you will find videos of Bean the parrotlet lying on his back in the palm of his owner's hand. His owner eplain how she taught him the trick in a thread on this site.

Regards,

Art S.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Thats very cute - I love the running to the blanket one :) - what a smart little bird.

Sally – that’s very cool that you were able to teach Chipper to Poo on command – that’s one that would come in very handy :cool:

For such little guys they always surprise me how smart they are and how they watch everything you do.

I haven't really taught mine any "real tricks" per say but I do have him about 85% (working for that 100% mark :) trained to fly to me when I call.

When I talk to him very close up I make this kind of squeaky sound that he really likes – he goes into a trance staring at my lips when I do it - so I use this sound when I call him and he almost always fly's to me. I started by leaving the room and waiting for him to call to me - then I would show myself and make my call - now he will come without me having to hide first.

He's fully flighted so I figured this would be a good thing to know - God Forbid - if he ever got out ... Of course I don't plan on him ever getting out but you never know. –

I also go into different rooms that he's not overly familiar with and this week we've gone into the Garage - I will launce him into the air off my finger and he will u-turn and fly back to my shoulder – this he does so far 100% of the time - I figured this "might" also help should he ever get out or I walked outside accidentally with him on my shoulder (This happened with our English Budgerigar when I was a kid – Luckily my Dad was able to catch him as he was attacked by some wild birds).

So we practice in unfamiliar surroundings.

But its also fun even if we never need to use it - which I hope we never do.

Cheers -

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All the responses I received are so great! I am going to print them off (so I don't forget how to do some of them). I will start with one, see how he does and go from there.

Thanks, everyone

Paula

1 - 7 of 7 Posts