Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, My name is Dawn and I brought my 1st
p'let
home two days ago. His name is Bob or BG. He's not very social. I was told he was nine weeks old and that he'd been hand raised, but he doesn't seem very comfortable with me. :confused:

I need to trim his wings because when I let him out of his cage for the 1st time he FLEW..high and fast! He's eating millet almost exclusively and is not trying the complete food I've offered yet.

I really
appreciated
reading all the posts and know I'll learn a lot.:)

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Step 1: Take the millet away. My birds will only eat millet if it's available.

Step 2: Clipping the birds wings will make your bird much easier to handle. You should do it as soon as posible. If you are not comfortable clipping the bird's wings, take him to the vet and let the vet do it.

I'll let someone else post step 3.

Good luck,

Art S.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Dawn welcome... please if have never clipped bird wings before please use a Vet. If you clip the blood feather your bird could bleed to death. You need to watch a Vet do it first and even then you have to be careful. I just read at another site that when they are molting you have to be careful till the feather is finally formed. I don't mean to scare you.Nine weeks is a baby just give him time to get his bearings. At such a young age don't start bad eating habits..millet is like candy to them. It is an occasional treat only.What did the breeder tell you about what he had been eating? If he has been eating specialized food you don't want to turn him into a seed only finicky eater it's actually bad for them. They need to eat a good balanced diet fruit veggies nuts etc. Others will tell you a good choice. My p'let has eating issues , yours is so young it shouldn't. Hope I didn't scare you we're glad your here and keep posting . If we don't know something we can ask others out there to help.WELCOME

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks

Millet has been removed and wings cut. I had a cockatiel for many years and am able to do wings without a problem.

The "breeder" sent me home with a baggie of what he called cockatiel food but is pale seeds only. Millet sized. I have two different good cockatiel foods and have offered HB egg, broccoli and apple so far. He nibbles. Any danger of removing his millet and having him stop eating altogether?

Thanks for reminding me that he's still a baby. I had wanted one young enough to not be afraid of the hand and to bond quickly. I was worried that nine weeks was too old!:eek:

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Dawn,

I would recommend switching your bird to pellets. Apparently they are better for the bird. Also, once the bird recognizes pellets as food, you can always switch back and forth between pellets and seed but once your bird is older, it will be very difficult to convince him that pellets are food.

We use Harrisons fine as the main source of food for our birds. Everything else is a suplement or a treat.

Regards,

Art S.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Dawn, yes there is a chance that your bird will not eat at all if you completely take the millet away. Here's what you can do to 'convert' to something else. You choice but I'll let you know what I recommend for foods to switch to.

First. You need to be offering millet only 2 times a day. This lets the p'let eat, but not gorge all day. Put fresh food in his cage in the morning and in the later evening, before bedtime. These are the times when birds normally eat in the wild, so is the best time to try to get him to try somethign new, as he's hungry and will want to eat something. Birds will pick here and there during the day, but if their getting proper nutrients and all, it's not like the first and last feed of the day. It's just munching basically. So, say you get up at 9am and go to bed at 9pm. Just theory wise. When you get up, uncover your guy, and put the fresh food in right away, take out the other food your converting to (I will say other food for now). This has to be done as soon as you get him up (as in open curtains, windows, lift his cover, daylight comes in the room, etc) so he only has the option of the fresh food for breakfast. Leave it in there for 1 hr. Take it out and replace with the other food. This is at 10am you switch (hypothetically). At noon, offer some millet. I would say the regular amount you put in for the day, but only leave it in there for 1 hr. Then take it out and replace with the other food. Leave that food in for the better part of the afternoon. Around 4 or 5pm you will put the millet back in for 1 hr again. Then replace with the other food. At 8 pm, you will put the fresh food in for 1 hr, then take out and replace with the other food and put your guy to bed.

SO basically, give him the fresh food first thing in the morning and 1 hr before bed. Give your other food at all other times during the day. Give him a chance to eat some millet about 3-4 hrs after and before his fresh food is given.

Do you have a digital scale that measure in grams?? If you do then great, if not I would recommend getting one. While you are doing a conversioin like this you need to keep a very close eye on weight, and if he's losing too much you should offer the millet more so he is getting what he needs. This is not as forceful as totally taking the food out, but is a more forceful tactic than just putting your other food in there and then crossing fingers he takes it. It's like offering a child a bag of chips, or a carrot stick and a broccoli bunch. What are they going to choose? chips of course, doens't mean that their good for them. Birds are the same way.

Now, the I recommend pellets as a more main diet. But there's more to it than that. Pellets are not a complete diet, just like seeds aren't either. Ppl say "birds eat seed in the wild, why shouldn't they in captivity" that is so untrue. Yes, they eat SOME seed, but it's not exclusive. They eat seeds, bugs, fruit, leaves, flowers, etc. They eat a lot, not just seeds.

I recommend finding a good quality seed, feeding that in small amounts plus a good pellet. I recommend harrisons, TOP, goldenolbles, zupreem the most. They are natural, contain no bad preservatives, and are HUMAN grade. Meaning, it is of good enough quality for you to eat, not that you would want to probably but heck, your bird is just as good as you and deserves good quality food. Roudybush is also decent. And I feed tropican lifetime granules, just because I find them to be an easy conversion food and a good way to get a foot in the door to pellet eating.

Also, you should feed fresh food daily. veggies and fruits, pasta, meat etc. Birds need protien too, so yes, some meat is good for them.

My guys get a big variety. Right now the main pellets we have is Tropican Lifetime Granules, and Zupreem Fruity pellets. Giving 2 different kinds lets them be a bit choosy. I've also got some trial sized little bags of 2 other kinds. Garden Goodness Avian Entrees (by Zupreem) and roudybush. I'll post a pic of the seed/nut/dried fruit mix I give them as well. There is no preservatives in it, actually, nothing but the food. no colorings, no preservatives, no artificial vitamins or minerals. I love the stuff. Good variety. I feed about a tbsp of that every 2-3 days. And they have unlimited access to pellets.

I also feed them right from our table. Sounds funny I know. I have time to make most of our stuff from scratch, so I can do this. If I'm cooking pork chops say, I'll cut out a big from the inside (since I cook in oil, and they dont' need all that much) and give it to them. I've made them special muffins. They eat rice and pasta with sauce (tomato sauces, the cream sauces are fattier and birds don't digest the lactose very well.) I give them bread sometimes. You can run hot water over frozen veggies to thaw them and then feed that.

Here is a GREAT site to get any of your food from. I know the girl and her flock and she goes to amazing lengths to make sure that nothing in her store is bad in any way for parrots. Her food is always top quality and human grade, and usually organic on top of that. Her toys are modified to be safer if there's something wrong. And she's really in it for the betterment of the birds, not to make a quick buck off you. She's one of the most knowledgeable ppl I've met in terms of bird care and I've learned a lot from her. Anyways, enough about that. Here's the link to her store.

http://www.squawkstore.com/

You can find toys, and food and other thinsg there. Hope this all helped!

And this is the only pic I have of the seed/nut/fruit mix I have. If you want a better pic, lemmie know.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts