Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm Nancy,

My first birds were a pair of budgies I bought when I was 15. Later I had larger birds and began taming wild caught birds for other people when parrots were still imported.

I began writing articles for American Cage Bird magazine and other periodicals and an editor of THF publications asked me to write a book, which I did. Titled, "Training Caged Birds", it came out in 1982, and while some information in there may be outdated, the methods I used to tame wild caught birds is still relevent today.

Because I now live in a studio apartment, I can no longer have a large bird or any other animal, so I recently bought two Pacific parrotlets. One was an aggressive female green who, I was told, was 6 to 9 months old when I bought her in June and the other was a tame hand fed baby dilute blue of 11 weeks who died one month after I bought him from a neck trauma probably sustained when falling off his perch.

I tamed the female and began to share my parrot training experience with several Yahoo groups and a moderator at one of the groups told me of a lady who needed to find a home for a four year old green spectacled parrotlet which I promptly agreed to adopt. He was a little agressive, not having been handled or let out of his cage for the better part of a year, but I quickly tamed him down. Members of the Yahoo group wanted to know his progress so I used him in several videos to show my training techniques and uploaded them on "you tube".

In truth "Kronk" responded faster than my green female, "Sweetpea" had, and I'm sorry I didn't think to video her training sessions as she was much more aggressive than Kronk and videos would have shown a completely aggressive bird become the tame loving pet she is now. Nevertheless, he was biting sometimes and didn't want to come out of his cage. I think you'll find the video clips helpfull in working with your birds, whether it's parrotlets or a larger bird.

Videos show how to get your parrot out of it's cage, How to teach him to return to his cage,perch training, finger taming, how to stop aggression and how to get him to allow head scratches, etc. The link to these video clips and my Cafe Press store where I have some amazing photos of my birds, are in my signature.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Sorry for your lost

Welcome to the forum! :D

·
Banned
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks

Thanks for the welcome. The post mortum said he had a neck injury. One minute he was on his perch quietly chewing on a piece of raffia and the next minute he was on the cage floor. We really don't know what happened.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Nancy,

Welcome aboard! I hope you choose to share some of your wisdom with us. I look forward to hearing about Sweetpea and Kronk.

Regards,

Art S.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Nancy - Welcome to the forum - I've seen your clips on youtube just a few weeks ago - so happy to have you join the forum - I look forward to hearing and benefiting from your experience.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hidey Hoe Neighorette..

Nancy..
hello there, small world.. lol i enjoy watching Kronk, Kiwi and i forgot the ones name.. sorry...
--
Cilene

1 - 11 of 11 Posts