Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Super Moderator
3,905 Posts
Hi Jess and Millie Birbie Blue - LOL! Welcome to the forum! We are delighted to have you as part of our flock!

That is an amazing photo - love it! It gives us a peek at both of your personalities and I can see it is love. So sweet!

She is so young - 13 weeks. Goodness. You are already doing so well having her comfortable on you like that. How long have you had her? Parrotlets are notoriously bitey little birds so starting early to reach her bite inhibition will be helpful. They explore their worlds with their beaks so you really want to help her understand to be gentle when she is using her beak on you. She will learn and you will desensitize a little to those bites - lol! But they do have powerful beaks and it hurts!!

I see you have posted another thread for advice so I will go there to offer some up but in the meantime, let me say that my best advice is to remember always that these are wild birds despite being born into a human environment and in nature, they are prey and you are a rather enormous predator. That she is already trusting you to sit on your arm like that, especially when you are showing your teeth, is an absolute gift. Fun fact - humans are the only animals who bare their teeth to show happiness and affection. If you always remember she is a wild creature, it will help you through some of the more difficult periods (like puberty) and will guide you in your interactions with her.

I very much look forward to hearing all about your journey together!

· Super Moderator
5,264 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum! She looks adorable!!! Gentle beak is often a successful redirection method for parrotlets, although beak manners is something that many of us have to deal with for the entire life of the parrotlet. It looks like you are building the foundation of a good relationship.

· Super Moderator
3,905 Posts
Here is the “gentle beak” thread:

· Registered
1,345 Posts
Welcome to the forum Jess and Millie! I love the pic - it is so cute the way you both are looking at each other. Millie is an adorable baby girl - she is such a pretty blue! 💙They are so much fun - yes, they bite, but there are ways to lessen that from happening. Gentle Beak is one way, but not putting yourself in the position to get bitten is the best way! Is Millie your first parrotlet? It's great she is comfortable being on you! (y)We are here if you have any questions! And we would love more pics if you care to share. We looove baby pics around here! :)

· Super Moderator
3,905 Posts
Hello again! I just found this post for another new member and thought I would share it with you as well. Some of it is common sense, but it never hurts to have a reminder. Hope all is well with your little Millie!

· Registered
25 Posts
Hello and welcome!
Millie is really sweet and the colour is lovely!
As we are only few months ahead of you with Kiki and also a first time parrotlet parents, I can share with you our experience to give you a bit of calm.
Will start with that beak flaking. Keep an eye on it, but it's perfectly normal as a tissue renewal. Will be quite a time, but it will completely smooth out. And then after a while it will repeat, etc. We offer Kiki an excellent multivitamins formula which is quite pricey, but it's a "drop a day" so God knows how long it will last. Other than that, as long as you offer your birdie daily quality seed mix (pellets highly recommended also), fresh veggies and water. You will absolutely ensure of optimal nutrition and that's all you really need.
As for molting, if Millie let's you gently scrich behind the cheeks and opposite the feather growth on top of her head, you will see loads of tube feathers and that should give you the indication whether it's molting or not. Otherwise lossing bit of feather while they clean is pretty normal.
OK, here comes the biting part LOL!
Ooh yeah, they bite a lot! Many have already mentioned that's is just their instincts.
But on the picture its clearly visible that you boast happiness and you are full of love for Millie.
And do just that, because Millie just needs to learn that if there are any safe hands to be in, its yours. And she will. Be patient. It will take some time.
As I have mentioned in the other post of yours in regards nutrition, we separate the sunflower seeds as a 2-3 a day treat from the seed mix.
I am normally the first to open his cage to say good morning and I have developed this routine with offering Kiki that first treat of the day.
In the beginning he was reluctant, but then after a while he went to eat from the palm, finish and just go back to the cage and start the day.
But now, months later it has turned in a ritual!
He starts chirping when he wakes up and when I come and open the cage he is like a bullet to have his sunflower treat.
Now, he eats the seed and then for as long as 15-20 minutes he just sits there in my palm and he slowly shreds the shells to a flour fine dust until it almost dissappear!He knows there is no seed, but likes to play. Just fluffing up, I talk to him, he loves when I scritch his head with the tip of my nose. He even tilts his head to scritch that lovely spot around the cheek. And so we talk and and he is just adorable being so fluffy and still sleepy.
My point is, in few months we went from finger chopping biting to Kiki allowing to scritch him with
my nose 🤭
Parrotlets are full of character and they bite super strong. But give your birdie the love and she will soon reward you with hers. It's sweet and worth every bite ❤

1 - 8 of 8 Posts