Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are some things that you do with your parrotlet while they are out of the cage??

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry AndreaFahy, I cant clicker train. It makes me sorry to say this.

Anyway, no matter how hard I try I cant get 2 snapple bottle caps and a chopstick (or the actual thing) without someone *no names said* saying something that she/he will buy one, but never does.

I am getting nowhere with clicker training. :(

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I taught mine to play dead. I've always just held him on his back and checked his abdomen and played with his feathers... now I flip him over, scratch his belly an tell him dead bird... and he just lays there.

You can try that or maybe just let him play on a home made jungle gym. I make bird toys and he likes to "help" like all kids do. there are various activities he can particpate in to keep you and him entertained.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just in case, Is there anything to train him without the clicker.

Also, I am having a behavioral problem... When I want to pet him. HE will only let me pet him if he is in a location where he want to be. Is this normal at all? I could understand if he feels comfortable he would want to be pet, but he will be somewhere on my body, and not let me pet him bc he doesnt want to be on my body... He would eventually fall off. Then I interact with him on the floor... still not where he wants to be, HE climbs up on my sholder and we will repeat this until about 30 -45 min. later I can pet him on the head... I want him on my body, not the floor... the window... the screen... the fake tree... nowhere except on my sholder or leg... somewhere on my body. Also, I sense some dominancy about him going where he want to go until he gets it.... my sholder... being higher than me is showing him to be dominant... them he wants up there everytime i am with him. HE wont let me pet him or interact with him unless we are laying on the couch my head right next to my shoulder... but them he want to climb up on my head. He wants to be as high as he can be... what do I do about this???

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Chipper come's to me when I say "come, come, come" in a funny voice. She can ring a bell when I say to do that. I have her "turn around." I use my finger and guide her around. I clap for her. Clickers bug me, too noisy. I like quiet, so I think Chipper does too.

I say "Who's a Duck" and Chipper quacks. We are really close. We also play with her toys on the coffee table. She loves when I sing and talk with her.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would think claps are noisy also.

yeah... I talk, do my little singing of my favorite songs around him. He says "hello" without the "o" everytime he sees me come in the room.

I say "What?!" when he looks at me for a long time... I say "loser" when he comes on my shoulder.... When i yawn he yawns (or fake yawns... i dunno?)

He plays with my shirt (little logo imprints on it.)

HE climbs all over my petrified wood in my room (its huge!!). I take him scootering sometimes in the garage as he like to be on the front handlebars while we are going fast ans spread out his wings.. .so cute! I let him climb all over my lemon trees

He will let me hold him on his back (for only a little bit though).

Well, that is all I can think of....

·
Registered
486 Posts
Kiwi, I think you are doing a wonderful job training your bird. I have trouble thinking of tircks to teach, too, but here are a few ideas that didn't take a clicker to teach my bird. 1. Scoot down a toilet paper tube to get the treat at the other end. 2. Ride in my pocket (I even built a pocket perch for her) 3. Lay on her back in my hand. Since you have already taught the last trick, try adding to it. Our first addition was "wait" to get her to lay there longer. I would like to teach her to lay on the table, too. My bird will cling to the tear strip from a milk jug like velcro when she is upside down. Then I can lift her with the strip. It's easy and looks very cute. (It also works using your finger or a little stick) I also taught her to let me blow air on her belly and to touch her feet. I wanted her to do this sort of thing so she would not be frightened if the vet needed to handle her. Her biggest trick from laying on her back in my palm is "flip." I very gently flip her upright onto my other palm. I always tell her "flip" first so that she isn't surprised and I started out by putting my other palm near her feet. Try adding on to tricks she already does. I added on to "step up" by getting her to step up on my pinkie, then 4th finger, then 3rd, finger, then index finger. Then I turn my hand over and she goes the other dierction. You bird may also like to learn peek-a-boo. Have fun!

·
Registered
19 Posts
How do you get them to let you flip them to play with their belly? I have tried a couple times with Picasso, but he doesn't like being on his back. Also, I was told that you have to be careful where you pet him on the back and chest/belly area because this could "stimulate" him and cause him to think I am his mate. Where exactly are these danger areas?

As far as tricks, about the only thing I have been able to get him to do is to run across the floor to me and "step-up" on my foot as I walk by. Of course, he is only about 9-10 weeks old and I have had him for one week so far. Oh, he does like playing peek-a-boo when he is in his cage in his tent hut. I am very interested in learning how to train him and am open to any & all suggestions. I have only ever trained dogs before, not birds, so I am a blank canvas.

Andrea,
this clicker training you promote, is the book available in bookstores or only online, and how hard is it to train them this way?

·
Registered
835 Posts
For a male, stroking his underside/chest area could be stimulating, b/c of how the male's body brushes against the female while mating.

But also, any "bonding" physical touch can lead them to feeling you are their mate, esp. parrotlets that are hand raised and falsely impinted on humans and don't have a species appropriate mate.

Clicker training is VERY easy. It has only been in the states since March. It sells by the thousands in Germany and is off to a great start here. I have it in my shop and website, and Amazon.com has it as well as www.thecozyparrot.com The most time consuming part is just reading the book, but luckily it is a very interesting read and has gobs of great photos.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Andrea,

Thank you for the information. I will more than likely order it from you, since you take the time to read these posts and offer helpful suggestions.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I have heard others suggest that a ballpoint pen is not ideal, as when you click it for writing purposes it is too familiar (the exact ballpoint sound) and reduces the effectiveness of the click. I, however, don't know that firsthand. Perhaps you could find a ballpoint that clicks differently than most of your pens.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Kiwi, I do not clap loudly. You thought the claps could be loud. They are fun little claps. I use my fingers, not the palm of my hand. Chipper loves it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts