Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay I did an impulse buy. I bought a spotted green puffer fish and turned my 5 gallon into a brackish tank. My male betta got moved into my 10 gallon tank that has had only 3 fish in it. . . and I added the marine salt to my 5 gallon and put my new pet into that.

I have yet to name him, but he is very cute. He's still a baby, so the 5 gallon will last ihm for a while until my other 10 gallon is cycled. I know I shouldn't have bought it... but I've always wanted a puffer fish~

·
Registered
373 Posts
I LOVE puffer fishes! I had one of my own, but he didn't live for that long. I've had great success with all other fishes though. My hands are too full at the moment, but one day I hope to set up an aquarium again.

Do you have pics of your new pet?

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
BACK AWAY FROM THE PET STORE - Catfish I think we need to intervene and keep you away from the Pet Store's for a while :p :D

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree Pado.... I tried to put my male and female bettas together. He used to leave them alone. Not any more. So he got put in my spare 5 gallon tank and I had to go out and buy another filther and more aquarium rocks.

I also found out I confused the green spotted puffer w/ the dwarf puffer... I'm eventually going to have to buy a 30 gallon tank for him. So I hope he will be okay fo a while in my 5 gallon tank since he is still a baby.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Well of course' you'll just HAVE to get a 30 gallon ...... Catfish now you're REALLY scaring me :D :D

BACK AWAYYYY FROM THE PET STORE :p

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
But the pets need me.That's what I tell myself that is....

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
I just read this about Puffer fish:

Most puffers have a toxin called tetradoxatin. The Japanese eat salt water puffer as a delicacy. 85% of the people who eat puffer get poisoned 65% die from the poison.
Now why do you think the Japanese would eat these ? H E L L O - :eek:

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't think the percentage is correct. The toxins are only in certain organs that are normally removed. The only reason someone would get poisoned is if the organs was nicked or not removed.

But anyways... I am one of those crazy people that want to try puffer fish sashimi. I love sashimi, we have this great restuarant here that a friend and I go to. We have to be careful because we can spend close to $100 on drinks and food. Love the raw fish~

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
pictures~

pictures of my new puffer: Sashimi

Picture of my 10 gallon tank: 2 female bettas (Spicy & Yellow Tail) 1 algae eater (Unagi), and 2 ghost shrimp.

Picture of the 2 quakers: Crabby is behind General.

Oh and Pado, I'm sure I would be fine. I love to try new foods and am almost willing to try anything!

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
The betta is beautiful...I do have to say that the puffer is pretty cool...it looks so lonely in that tank!

I love Quakers! The breeder that I got Kiwi from breeds Quakers and I love to help him at bird shows...I think they're beautiful.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Puffers, after spending some time reading, do not do well with tank mates and often are kept alone or with another puffer... and even that can be a disaster.

They have sharp beaks and are prone to attack and EAT other fish to satisfy their never ending appetite. They are little deviants hidden behind a cute face. They love to eat ghost shrimp, snails, crabs, and mussels. Truly dangerous fish for other fish~

I love my quakers, but sometimes Crabby drives me crazy. He is VERY noisy and we are working to solve this along with the nipping. He's a good bird, but since he was a stray, he has a few quirks. Some weeks are better, some weeks are much worse.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Wait,

Let me get this straight...

You got a puffer fish;

The puffer fish is in a tank that is too small for him (don't let Andrea or Sally see this or they'll be after you...:D );

But since he/she is still a baby it's OK;

Soon you will be buying a large tank because the present tank is too small for a growing puffer fish;

Once you get the big tank, the tank will look empty with just the puffer fish and the puffer fish will be lonely;

So you will get other fish to fill out the tank and keep the puffer fish company;

But, puffer fish don't play well with others;

And you like sashimi;

So, you will remove the puffer fish to protect the other fish and make yourself some puffer fish sashimi (already foretold, considering the fish's name is Sashimi) which is a Japanese Delicacy!

But, according to Pado, a high percentage of Japanese that eat Pufferfish sashimi die from the pleasure...

catfish, are you trying to tell us you are tired of life...;)

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well I am tired of being busy, but I won't be ending my life... so no worries :D Oh and I do know how to make sushi!

In my defense about the small tank. I confused the green spotted puffer with the dwarf puffer. The dwarf puffer can live quite well in a 5 gallon tank.

For his current size the tank is good, plus it is already cycled. So.... the plan is to ask for a larger tank for x-mas. That's how I got the hermit crab tank ;D

·
Registered
373 Posts
LOL! Sounds like something I'm familiar with (not guilty now, but used to be!). Keep moving them up to big cages/tanks and then feel sorry for the small cages/tanks because they're empty and could be put to use.. and then run out and get more.. only to upgrade again shortly after. The cycle continues.

catfish, your dwarf puffer is cute! Mine was a dwarf, too. He was SUPER picky about foods - is yours like that, too?

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
he's not a dwarf, but a green spotted puffer. He's not been picky about foods. He likes his bloodworms. I'm thinking of getting a couple of ghost shrimp and seeing if he will eat them.

·
Registered
69 Posts
use to keep brackish puffers. there are several species that live in brackish water, and a few that live in plain fresh water. they don't do well without frequent water changes, and proper diet rich in shrimp and other invertebrates like snails. When they get oler they get very territorial, and bite like a parrot;) The most comon sold in the U.S. is the spotted green and figure 8 puffers. They're is a dwarf peruvian species (sometimes call the pea puffer) very small and freshwater. Careful of your other fish, they have nasty habbit of tasting their tankmates, and can gulf down a fish their same length and size. Brackish and freshwater puffers do best in a planted tank (esp. rich in snails). I had some figure 8 puffers 6 inches. Fugu puffers are cool they have an orange bull's eye. donot be tempted in mixing diffrent types. There is a "lineolated" puffer and african sepecies, very expensive they get near a foot. In india they have gold puffers (brackish to fresh) they will attack waders and animals in the water like pirranah. if you ever need advise i kept them for years.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts