Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys..so I have a 3yr old Parrotlet name Kiki who I love dearly 馃挅. We bonded almost immediately when I got her at only 6 months. I just received a brand new puppy for mothers day from my daughter and he's a very rambunctious shorkie..the problem is that he's constantly lunging at my kiki whenever she's out of the cage or anywhere near me..I'm super worried about that because I don't want him to hurt her..What can I do to get them to co exist.Btw..Kiki is not bothered by him at all..whenever hw gets close she goes into bite stance..teehee..Help!!!!

Attachments

Super Moderator
Hello there! Kiki and your new pup are ridiculously cute! But yes, you are for sure in a very dangerous zone if the puppy is lunging at Kiki. They鈥檙e so fragile, it wouldn鈥檛 take much at all for Kiki to be seriously injured or killed. Your puppy is still very young so I would definitely recommend that he and Kiki are not out together for the time being. Kiki, like most parrotlets, probably thinks she鈥檚 as big as the puppy and can take him on. If Kiki lands a good bite, your pup may also bite back. When you have Kiki out for now, I would suggest the puppy goes to another room. I assume Kiki is full flight?

You can reset their relationship by introducing Kiki and your puppy while Kiki is still in his cage. You will need to ensure any unwanted behaviour by the puppy when he is near the cage is corrected immediately with a firm NO BIRD and when he complies, reward him with a treat. He is still quite young so this is going to take some considerable patience. Consistency will be key. Kiki is engaging the puppy鈥檚 prey drive so be very aware that Kiki is prey and the puppy is a predator in nature. It will help you to be vigilant about their interactions. Until the puppy ignores the cage and Kiki, keep correcting. If the puppy is near the cage and being calm and ignoring the bird, reward him with a super tasty treat (piece of cheese or hot dog) and praise him. Teaching the puppy to ignore the bird doesn鈥檛 mean they will never interact, but he needs to learn Kiki is not prey. Introducing them when Kiki is in the safety of her cage will allow them to get a sense of each other and your relationship as head of the flock/pack. You want them to view each other as part of the family unit. I cannot emphasize enough how important it is to be consistent. Your efforts over a few weeks/months will pay off over the years to come.

As Kiki is bonded to you, she may be jealous of your interactions with the dog. Unlike the pup, parrotlets are not domesticated even though they are born into captivity. Kiki is still a wild bird. It will be important for her to maintain her status with you. However, it is also important to reward Kiki for good behaviour with the puppy and to discourage unwanted behaviours like biting.

Until your puppy is older and demonstrates no excited energy around the bird (preferably ignorin her), I would avoid allowing them to be out together. Only then would I take the next step and start allowing supervised out times for them both.

I have had Kiwi for 18 years and my beloved dog, Paris (Pomeranian-Chihuahua) passed away in December at 16.5 years old.This is the approach I took with them and while I would never have allowed them to be out unsupervised together, we had a very harmonious household for many years. Paris understood Kiwi was above her and below me in the pecking order and was quite submissive around her. It was Kiwi鈥檚 quick beak I didn鈥檛 trust! They were never cuddly together but they did seem to enjoy each other鈥檚 presence and we could sit on the couch together to watch a movie without incident. I think Kiwi looked for Paris when she passed. My daughter got a puppy and when he came here the first time, she got quite animated until she saw it wasn鈥檛 Paris. Sad. But she is fine now.

Anyway, I hope that is helpful. You sure have a lovely little furry-feathery fam there! Keep us posted!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi there!!!..Thank you soo much for your very helpful response. I was definitely doing things the wrong way believing i should have them out together. I will definitely keep them apart and do exactly what you said..I will never forgive myself if anything happened to my Kiki..I love her soo much and yes she is fully flighted. Buddy is still growing on me馃槍but he's a keeper..I lost my beloved 15yr old yorkie 2 yrs ago and Kiki was my lifeline 馃槳Thanks again for your thoughtful reply from kiki馃 ,Buddy 馃惗, and I馃槉

Super Moderator
I am sorry to hear of your loss. It sure is hard to lose a beloved pet. They鈥檙e just so precious to us. 馃挄

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts