Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

We are new parrotlet owners. We have had our bird for 2 weeks. It is approx 5 months old. She is a very nervous bird and will not let us anywhere near her. If we approach the cage she begins to fly around. We did have her out the second day we had her - but the store told us to leave her for a few days so we did. If we put our hand anywhere near the cage or inside she goes crazy and flys all over and I'm afriad she will hurt herself. Does anyone have any suggestions for us??

Thanks
Denise

·
Registered
794 Posts
I am having the same problem, with my second parrotlet.
What was the bird's previous conditions??

Did it live by itself or with other birds? Did it get attention from humans?

So far what I know, is to never force it to do anything... never frighten it by keeping you hand in the cage trying to catch it.
With these untame birds, it needs to all be calm, quiet times.
Throughout the day, go by her cage and just read to yourself, or quietly talk to her.
Let her know that your presence is no harm, and you won't hurt her.
Don't even try to take her out of the cage.
Do this for about a week.

Then, lay your hand on the outside of the cage - a reasonable distance from her. Let her just look at it, and see it won't hurt her.
Do that for a couple of days.
Then, open her cage, and let her come out on her own and explore. Let her come to you.

Eventually, with lots of attention, calmness, and patience, she will come around.

This is all I can advise...other members will post more.

Btw, welcome to the forum :)

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Hi Denise -- you state that you bought her from a store...I'm just wondering if she was teased by kids in the store or possibly had an aggressive cage mate. I would give her a little more time. Spend some time near the cage where she can observe you from the safety of her cage and then take some time talking to her gently to help her realize that you intend no harm. Is she eating and drinking okay? Do you cover her at night and ensure she gets 10-12 hours of sleep (preferably more toward 12)? Do you have a cozy hut that she can cuddle in at night and/or a slinky hanging thru the top bars that she can tunnel in and sleep. Love and patience will bring great rewards. Once she starts to calm down, see how she handles your hand in the cage to place some millet or a piece of carrot or apple. Give her offerings and back away...maybe read nearby. But most importantly, ensure she is eating/drinking and please keep us posted. I know that you'll receive much advise from the members..this is a wonderful group of people.

Also, is she in an area of the house where she sees everyone? I would avoid placing her in a high traffic area until she is settled; however, have her cage in a room where she sees the family.

Good luck...they are wonderful little birds...very loving...just stay consistent and have lots of patience..Good luck..Debbie

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How much time

thanks Nick. I was wondering how much time do you suggest talking to her. I spend a few minutes at at time about 3 times a day. We did get her from a pet store where she was in a cage with about 4 other birds. The owner is a great person, but I'm sure did not spend time with the birds individually. She actually is in my daughters room who is 11 and probably not as slow moving as she should be around Roxy.

She is eating and drinking properly and I give her vegies and fruit. Initially we did not cover her as I was told she didn't have to be. But after reading some info I began to cover her.

I will definitely try the reading beside her. I have actually stopped trying to get her out of the cage because I was worried she would hurt herself. I will try your suggestions for sure.

Thanks to Debbie also for your quick response

Denise

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Hi Denise -- one thought, having the cage in your daughter's room may be too much. If she's like many young girls...they have so much going on and with friends over and all that going on in the room, it may be stressing the little bird at this point. As the bird ages, it probably wouldn't phase it once he is acclimated to the family. Can you place the cage in another area of the house (family room or living room) where people will be in and out but also supplying him with his own space at times.

I'm so glad that you cover the cage at night now...it provides warmth and security for the bird. It also helps with keeping them with 12 hours sleep and if in a bright area in the morning, ensure the cover is darker just to help him relax and get the rest each night.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Quiet time in the bathroom

You can also try taking the cage in the bathroom and shutting the door (and the toilet lid!) Open the cage door and let her know that she can come out and explore in a safe place. You can take a book like the others have sugguested and just sit quietly with her. This more enclosed space will help her feel safe as well.

My Mom's bird was very skittish at first just like yours is-and this method worked well for her. After about a week, you can try using a long dowel rod to start to teach her to step up onto. She will be able to sense the distance you are keeping but see the movement and control of your "finger". Then you can slowly inch your hand up the dowel rod after you make progress. Soon she'll be stepping up onto your real finger. It just takes patience. I know you are eager to spend time with your new bird. This quiet time will be well worth the wait!

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
My Chipper was from a pet store and she was a wild child. I took it slow and gained her trust by hand feeding her. It can takes weeks and months to gain trust. It is worth the wait..

I held her to me and sang to her several times a day. She calmed down and loved it. We have a wonderful bond.

I taught her to step up in a bathroom. I taught her to stay on the playgyms near me. The more she was with me the more she trusted me. Again, I hand fed her the safflower seeds she loved. I even taught her some tricks before we were very close. This seemed to make her very happy! She has been with us for a year and 7 months now. Take your time. Good food, really big cage, 12 hours of sleep, quiet singing, talking and a nice bedtime routine of singing etc. is great. You can read children books too.

The best thing Chipper likes is to tell her everything I am going to do with my hands. If I want to hold her or scritch her or rub her beak, I have names for all of them. Then she knows what is going to happy and is happy! I take her to my bathroom for my baths and all around the house. She has another cage in my bathroom. She wants to be with me all the time.

Take your time and don't take it personally. They are just slow to trust.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello There, we are new to this forum but am thrilled with the great, helpful hints from everyone. We too are new owners of a 7 month old parrotlet and are experiencing the same "nervousness" as dash. We have had her only for a couple of days and feel that we have made some progress with her. I was nervous buying her from a pet store and don't think that she was handled that much there. She also does not want anything to do with our hands if they are in the cage but loves to be held close and cuddled once we get her out. It sounds like many have been through the same thing and there is a light at the end of the tunnel. She doesn't seem as lively and as full as personality as so many claim parrotlets are but assume (hope) that will come as she adjusts??

·
Registered
794 Posts
WHOAAAAAA that little bird needs quiet and a stable routine and let it get it's bearings. Please, it's scared to death that is why it is thrashing around. If the cage door was open it would fly away.
Can't you let it get used to the enviorment and routine so it can predict what is going on and then try to hand tame it. Please let it adjust to it's routine first. What's the hurry be paitent they are very intelligent.
Be careful so it doesn't get injured. Check the posts there are lots of offerings about introducing a new p'let to it's routine

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes, we are taking it very slow with her and she seems to be doing well. I also have a five year old Sun Conure who never went through an adjustment period at all but we got him at a much younger age. I also have had many parakeets who never went through this kind of transition period so was worried that my "Little Lucy" was going to be difficult to work with but it is comforting to hear that this is somewhat typical of parrotlets - it sounds like anyway from reading many posts.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Denise - welcome to the forum. What is your Parrotlets name? - Do you know his background, like was he hand raised?

It sounds like if he was he just didn't get a lot of socialization and being 5 months old and having his home change again he is a bit frightened and confused.

As Memmey said give him some more time before you start trying to interact with him so he can settle into his new home and get used to the sounds and the comings and goings of the houses occupants.

It takes time (a lot of time) and patience with a scared Parrotlet - it could take weeks to months so don't be in a rush or you could set yourself back - As others posted just let him get use to you slowly. Sit by the cage and read and/or talk to him softly without trying to touch him. Move very VERY slowly when changing his food and cleaning his cage and tell him exactly what you are doing as you do it (this is more to soothe the bird as they can pick up your intentions from the tone in your voice).

Keep in mind most birds do not like hands coming into their cage. To them its a big scary hand coming through a small opening and they have no place to escape - its a scary sight for a bird so we need to do it slowly.

Let us know how things proceed.

Little Lucy - welcome to the site also I'm glad you found us. Yes, it sounds like about half and half - some adjust really quickly - my guess is its the ones that have gotten a lot of handling and human interaction that adjust more quickly. The others take a while to adjust. Some take days, some weeks and for some it takes months. Yours being 7 months old it sounds like she didn't get a lot of socialization either. Read Sally's posts on how she calmed Chipper down - Chipper was about the age your girl is when Sally got her and now she is one of the sweetest P'lets. But with your experience with your Conure I'm sure you will have no trouble at all.

Keep us posted on how she settles in - I'm sure in no time she will be acting like a rambunctious Parrotlet :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks, Pado. I agree, I don't think that she was handled much during the five months she was at the pet store, poor thing. I will go read those posts by Sally, thanks. We are so excited to see her improve a little each day. She is so sweet and just so darn cute!! It's encouraging to hear there are others who have had the same experiences and all is well! :)

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
I replied on this thread also. Yes, Chipper was about that age from Petco. She just needed some patience and love. A real wild little bird at first. I have helped budgies be sweet when they started off "wild" so I knew I wanted to have this little Parrolet.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thanks to all

thanks everyone for the input. this is a great forum to discuss issues and get lots of helpful tips from everyone.

I am happy to say that even within a day or two there seems to be progress. We are not sticking our hands into her cage (unless necessary). I am spending time just sitting beside Roxy (that's her name) and talking. She now sits on the perch near me, rather than hiding at the back. I have told my daughter she needs to make sure her movements are slow and that she also spends time talking with Roxy also.

She is now puffing up and making clicking sounds when I sit near her - I hope thats a good thing!!!

I'll let you know in a week or so how things are going - I have a good feeling about Roxy.

Denise

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Denise, that's wonderful that Roxy is coming closer..time and patience will serve you well. As Roxy gets comfortable, she will be curious to venture a bit further but take it slow and don't rush so there are no setbacks...can't wait for updates...good luck!!! :D

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Denise - that is fantastic news. Roxy sitting closer to you is a VERY good sign. Soon she may even take treats from your fingers through the bars. You have her at that point ;) - Congratulations - you and your daughter are doing a wonderful job :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts