Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought an 8 month old male parrotlet from a lady who kept him in an aviary with a scarlet parakeet. I don't think she handled him very much. When I put my hand into his cage to get him out he goes nuts, flying around trying to get away from me. Once I get hold of him he's okay, he doesn't bite or anything and will let me rub his head but when I open my hand he flies away. When he's in the cage and I walk over to talk to him he always runs to the corner to hide. :confused: The lady told me that she clipped his wings but he can still fly pretty well. Is that normal?

How long will it take working with him before he will trust me and I can get him to step up on my finger and let him ride on my shoulder? Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
835 Posts
Please avoid at all costs doing anything that scares your parrotlet.

Every time you chase and grab you will not build any trust or respect.

He obviously is not trusting yet if he wants to get away.

I would not clip his wings any more, if he loses the ability to fly he will become even more frightened, stressed and will begin biting.

Look at the clicker trainging threads too:
http://www.talkparrotlets.com/showthread.php?t=482

And I also suggest you read as many threads as you can in this section:
http://www.talkparrotlets.com/showthread.php?t=482

Just PLEASE don't do anything until you learn the training methods. Just let him be in his cage for now and avoid scaring him. You don't have to hold him, that will come much later once he learns to trust you.

Also, what size cage does he live in? Can you share pictures of his set up?

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Congratulations on your new Parrotlet Bumper1960 and welcome to the site :)

I know what its like getting a new bird and being excited and wanting to play and bond with him right away. But with these guys if you want a tame bird your really have to put the brakes on -so to speak- :p and be very, very patient. Remember they can live upwards of 20 -30 years so you have plenty of time and how you treat him now will determine the pet he will become.

As Andrea said the worst thing you can do is to chase or grab him and hold him. This makes him fear you and you don't want that. You will read on line some people saying its best to grab them and cup them close to your chest and pet them etc - this might work for an already tame hand raised bird that is just a bit scared in its new home - but it will not work for a bird that is not used to being handled or a bird doing as you described - in fact, it will make the situation worse :eek:

Its best to just leave him be in his cage for now. Change his water and food and paper moving very slowly trying not to make him run from you.

Talk to him A LOT during this time in a very soft voice - even sing softly to him or sit and read a book out loud to him. What your are trying to do is to make him see you are not scary and if you do this and not scare him he will come to like you sitting close and will actually look forward to it. This is the first baby-step in bonding with him.

Read all you can on this site - Andrea posted some links.

Post any more questions you have and I'm sure they will be answered.

Best of luck and again Congratulations - ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for all your advice. I will try to be patient, but it is hard when he is so cute and I just want to love him. I'll see what happens.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts