Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, for a few months now I have been planning to add another bird to our home and trying to decide between a parrotlet and a cockatiel. I've been researching the bird's characteristics and needs and looking into different breeders. I was leaning towards a cockatiel, mainly because I already have a flight cage appropriate for a 'tiel. The bar spacing on the cage is too wide for a parrotlet though, so going the parrotlet route would also require the expense of another cage. At any rate, today I went into a pet store that I never shop in (just because it's on the wrong side of town for me) to scope out some new toys for my budgies and they had two pacific parrotlets. I'd never actually seen one in person, so I was excited to see them. I struck up a conversation with one of the employees about the parrotlets and she claimed that they were hand raised and came to them just after weening, but I was heartbroken to find out that they'd been in the store for about 6 months. Well, to make a long story short the birds seemed to be in good health and my soft spot took over. I had planned to buy from a breeder, but I felt terrible for the little guys sitting in the store all that time with no attention. I bought a green pacific male and a medium sized cage to hold me over until I can get a proper flight cage next week. I'm just sorry I couldn't afford to bring them both home.

Milo is settling into his cage now. He hasn't started eating yet, but it's only been a couple of hours. There's plenty of millet and food in there for him. The pet store was feeding him a combo of seed and pellets formulated for parakeets. I went ahead and bought 1 bag each of the foods they were feeding so he'd have what he's used to, but I plan to begin switching him to one of the 'tiel formulas that I've seen recommended once he's settled in. I'll be taking him to the vet next week for an exam and to get his wings clipped so we can start the taming and training process. After sitting in that cage for so long with very little interaction I'm sure it will be a challenge to tame him, but I'm a very patient person. I'm very much looking forward to getting to know my new companion.

Obviously this is my first post, so it's nice to meet you all. I'm sure that I'll have plenty of questions for you soon.

Jeremy

·
Registered
794 Posts
Jeremy welcome nice to meet you. You gonna enjoy the people here it's a good group. If you have any questions ask and everyone will help if they can..keep us posted on your new adventure with Milo. OK?

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Hello and welcome! Parrotlets are great fun! I have a little girl named Chipper. She is so sweet, quiet and funny! I have a very large cage. They love a super large cage and lots of fun toys. I can't wait to see photos!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Welcome Jeremy! I'm pretty new to the parrotlet owning myself, but there are so many people here that can answer questions! Best of luck with Milo (what a cute name)! Y'all have a great one, spasticat

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Jeremy,

Welcome aboard to both you and Milo!

I'm not sure if you can swing it but a simple (retangle shape) cage similar in size and quality to sally's, including built in stand can be bought on the net for about $175. If you go for $275 you can get a double like mine (then you can get both birds ;) ).

Here's mine if I remember, I'll load a better picture when I get home.

Regards,

Art S.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Art, could you post the url for the site where you purchased your cage? There is a fairly large flight cage locally that I was going to pick up, but from the photo yours looks to be of much higher quality (It looks like it's stainless?). For $175 with a built in stand it would just barely cost me more than the stand and powder coated cage I was going to pick up at the pet store.

I wish I could pick up the second one! Unfortunately it's a matter of cost rather than room. The other p'let they have is a different color mutation and so is considerably more $$ than I can afford right now, especially since I already forced myself into the new cage expenditure.

Thanks for the welcomes everyone!

Jeremy

·
Registered
2,429 Posts

Congratulations on your new bird Jeremy - I think the Parrotlet is the closest thing you’ll get to the Big Parrots – you’re in for some fun times :D :D

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Art, mine was $300> It is a King's Cage. I am too afraid to buy a cage on ebay etc. You can speak to the owner when you buy a Kings or other well known brand. I like that.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Sally,

Kings is located near me in NJ and I would have given him the business if the cage was made locally but when I looked at it, it was also made in China and of the same construction. Kings used to make their own but not any more (unfortunately they can't compete with 0.50 per hour labor rates). As I've said before, I'm pretty sure all of the cages are made in the same factory in China.

Your cage is more expensive both because of the brand name and because of it's complex shape.

By the way, we bought ours in the store and our came out of the 'LaViva' brand catalogue so we paid more than internet pricing but it's the same cage.

Jeremy,

Here is one of the links (I just googled bird flight cage):
http://www.birdcages.com/flight-cag...urce=googleaw&kwid=bird flight cage&tid=exact

http://www.birdcages.com/medium-bird-cages/flight-cage/products.cfm?action=view&key=AEC022 - I was wrong, they are now $150. Mine is finished in grey hammertone.

The cages appear to be the same as mine. They, like mine are powder coated. I haven't had any problems with the powder coating and the shelf and wheels on the intergated cart are very handy.

By the way, the cage will arrive dissassembled and the directions consist of one drawing with NO text!!:eek: It isn't rocket science but the assembly did prove to be entertaining.

To everyone else:

If you have two birds and get the double, like mine, I highly reccommend that you replace the removable divider with a plexiglas divider - otherwise they WILL make a game of biting each other through the bars.

Regards to all,

Art S.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the link Art! That seems like a great cage, especially for the money. It's much nicer (and larger) than the one I was planning to get!

Jeremy

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
The only company I know of that make their cages here in the USA is California Cages.

I got a Kingscage also and got the EXACT same instructions as Art described - so I'm sure they are from the same place. Although what I did like about Kingscages is they actually answer your Emails - usually online places don't bother.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
I know they are made in China, most are. I just like knowing I can speak to the company easily. There was a bent bar and the owner talked to me and sent three toys! It was very easy to fix, just a bend. Shipping is hard on cages. They are friendly. Costumer service is very important.

So many people have not had good luck with cheaper cages. Finishes, quality etc. They are not all the same just because they are made there. I have just heard lots of stories so I got a well known cage so I would know the company.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Thanks, and I am sure there are many, many good ones. I just didn't want to worry about replacing it for a very long time.

I just read that someone is having trouble finding a new latch for a no name brand. I HOPE name brands can help with parts too.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Speaking of cages, I SO want to get a new one for Nemo, but I don't know where to start looking. All the cage sites I've looked at ship, but they're in the US and I'm in Canada.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Kathy – you should check with the US companies – they probably will ship to Canada for a bit more shipping cost – To most companies a sale is a sale. [I know it is to me] :D :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts