Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone, I've had some experience years ago with larger parrots, so I'm not a complete novice and I had a budgie (store bought and took me forever to get him hand tame, but he ended up becoming so bonded with me, I couldn't get him off of me). I lost him last month, had no plans to get another bird until I saw a parrotlet breeder not far from me so I ended up buying a male, supposed to be 10 weeks (looks a tad older, but I don't know a lot about parrotlets). I thought that a handfed baby would be much more hand tame than this little guy is, he doesn't want to come out of his cage, I have to make him, he jumps and tries to fly away from me when I do have him out, he gets to the floor and runs away. He will step up for me to rescue him from the floor but he desperately tries to make his way back to his cage. He just does not want to stay out with me. I'm practicing 'step up' with him but when he keeps jumping and trying to fly away from me, its hard. I'd like him to stay next to me on his playground and get used to being out of his cage, I have all day to spend with him, practically, I go to school online. Anyone have any suggestions for me to get this little guy to want out of cage time or to be around me. Should I remove the little mirror from his cage, he does spend an awful lot of time hanging on the side of the cage where that mirror is. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
12,210 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum. I would definitely remove his mirror. Have you clipped his wings? It is easier to train when they are clipped. There is a great thread on here about Millet training under the Bonding & Training section. I think it's called Bonding Made Easy. I wouldn't make him come out of his cage. Instead I would open the cage door and let him come out. You could try sitting by his cage and just talking to him. That usually gets them curious to come out. The best advise is not to rush him or try making him do anything. I don't know how long you have him but he may need to adjust to his new environment. Good luck with your little guy.

·
Registered
11,181 Posts
Welcome to the forum:) Post pictures when you can!

As for not wanting to come out of his cage, try some millet. Also, what do you mean, you have to make him come out? Are you grabbing him? I second removing the mirror, he probably thinks it's his birdie friend and is eager to always go back to him.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I end up gently grabbing him, I take it that's really bad? He steps up for a second in his cage but as soon as I make a move to bring him out, he flys off, the only way I can get him to come out is to scoop him up, which I'll stop doing since, even when I was doing it, I just had a sense that it wasn't right. I just thought that if I could get him out, then he would bond with me and even want to come out. His cage has tons of toys in, is that why he doesn't want out? Yes, his wings are clipped but he can still fly off to the ground a few feet away. I've only had him a couple of weeks, maybe I'm rushing him? I just really thought that buying a handfed baby at such a young age that he would already be really people friendly, I was wrong. On the upside, I do have a lot time to spend with him. He won't eat his millet when I take him out, even if I put it on his playground, he has a one track mind and that is "how can I get back in to my cage?"

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Posting Pics

I would gladly post pics as soon as I figure out how. I finally found an upload button in the Photo Gallery, however it keeps coming up with an error. I'll figure it out! He is an awfully pretty blue baby (in color that is) and makes the sweetest little sounds. Tried the millet in his cage again this morning, wouldn't come near it, his cage door is always open, won't come near that either! I think right now he's waiting for his 15 minute soak to be done, gotta go! :)

·
Registered
11,181 Posts
Maybe try getting him to step up on your finger while in the cage and then try to keep him there will millet:) Right now, the cage is his comfort zone. His whole world had changed, give him time to settle in.

As for pictures. Most people find it easiest to upload to another site like photobucket and then link the picture into the forum:)

·
Registered
456 Posts
Photobucket for uploading pictures is the easiest way for me...then once I have the picture uploaded there I click on the 'img link' to copy & paste it directly to the forum.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks

Thanks everyone, you're right about his cage being his 'comfort zone' alright! And I know that I'm rushing him a bit, I'm sure it's coming from missing my budgie, Anakin so much. That bird was so bonded with me, it was crazy, he always wanted to be with me. As soon as I uncovered him in the morning and opened his cage door, he immediately came out, flew over to me, gave me kisses, preened my hair (he definitely thought I was his mate), he let me know if I wasn't giving him enough attention while doing my computer work, and most importantly, he made me laugh every day. I miss him very much. Well, he and I worked things out in the beginning and he was bought out of a bin with 20 other budgies in it and parent raised, so if I could get him tamed and bonded, I should certainly be able to do it with Samson. I guess I'd forgotten that you have to go slow.

I'll get some pics posted, thanks for the tip about photobucket!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay, I'm like thrilled to death, Samson is coming out of his cage on his own, as we speak, he still won't take millet out of my hand, or anything else for that matter, but I put his playground immediately outside of his cage, since my cage doesn't have a flat top, and I put some toast and some millet on it this morning and he hasn't eaten it yet, but I can tell that he wants to! Just the fact that he's becoming much more active in his cage, chirping more, tilts his head as I talk to him, these are all huge for me right now. I like a Mom whose kid just took his first step! Haha

Quick question, he loves his vegetable (15 min. soak) first thing in the morning, but the breeder I got him from told me to not give this more than every other day at the most, he eats his parrotlet seeds also, although I have yet to see him touch a pellet. So I guess two questions, can I give him the veggie soak every day and is it a big deal that he won't eat his pellets, I mean all I can do is offer them, right? He's already made it pretty clear that I can't MAKE him do anything! lol

·
Registered
637 Posts
I have to ask you what is a 15 minute soak for vegetable? I feed my birds veggies, fresh everyday. As far as pellets go you might want to ready up on them as there is controversy about feeding them to color mutations. I will let you decide on that one but I do not feed them to my birds. I feed my birds sprouted seed and grains, they love them and are good for them also I make birdy bread, I put lots of fruit and veggies in it. Something else that is so good for them is chia seed, my birds eat it like crazy, do not soak it as it turns to gel.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hi

I go to school online too. :rolleyes: I love it! also, I found that it took a little while for my parrotlet to get used to me. I use some of the techniques from website called trainedparrot.com and she loves it! She behaves better and bonds with me more. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Veggie Soak

Volkman's makes it, the same brand of parrotlet seed that I bought from my breeder. It says on it Volkmans 15 minute soak and serve and it's veggies. I'm giving him fresh fruits and veggies too, she just had him on this and I wanted to keep him, at least initially, on what he was used to.

I had always understood that pellets were much better for birds than an all seed diet. I'll have to read up on that, as you suggest. Well, I know they are not hurting him because he doesn't touch them, maybe he knows more than me!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Reply to Radhashakti

Thanks for the tip on the website, I'll check it out. Online school is definitely the way to go, especially if you have transportation problems like I do, I'm getting ready to start my internship, it will only be a couple of days a week and that's all that I really want to end up working so I'll have plenty of time still to spend trying to get Samson to warm up to me. I'm also disabled and am on the waiting list for a Service dog, could be quite a wait for that, though.

·
Registered
45 Posts
My little Jude started out the same way yours did. I seriously want to start demanding breeders use different terminology for "tame, hand-fed" parrotlets, because I expected my baby to at the very least not be deathly afraid of my hands when I first got him. But that aside, it has definitely been an uphill battle. The few times I got him out of the cage he did exactly what yours did, tried to fly/run away from me at all costs and if I did ever get a hold of him (if just to put him back in his cage) he would bite very, very hard. After one particularly bad experience, it took about a week for all of the bites on my hands to heal.

I've been using the millet training method, a video for which is in the sticky thread titled "Faster Bonding, Less Stress". It has been working for me so far, albeit with a few setbacks, but at least Jude now eats millet out of my hand when it's very close to him and my fingers are moving. I have yet to ever have had my parrotlet perch on my hand, finger, shoulder, or anything else and I've had him for ~4.5 months now. I understand that Jude is more timid than most parrotlets, which is why I consider the progress I've made with millet training to be pretty darn good.

It sounds like you've had difficult birds to train before, so you understand that they need a lot of time and patience. I'll just say hang in there! Know that all of the nice people on this forum are rooting for you! And try to appreciate the small victories because the big ones can be a long way off.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts