TalkParrotlets.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I am a new parrotlet owner. I found this website while looking for info on parrotlets. I am the proud owner of an american white male parrotlet. He is almost 3 months old. I was at the bird store with a friend who was getting supplies for his bird and when I saw this parrotlet (which I had never heard of) it was love at first sight. The first week was rough, after being bitten so many times I was ready to take the bird back. But I stuck it out an now he is hopping right up on my finger to come out of his cage. He lets me scratch his head and will sit for a long time on my finger or shoulder. He just loves to cuddle. I am so new at this, I would appreciate any advise/suggestions for a new bird owner.
I've just loved looking at all your pictures. How do I go about posting a picture of my new baby?
Woodstock's new mom

·
Registered
263 Posts
Parrotlets are great little birds and have some unique requirements. You may want to view the sections or postings on what to feed your little Woodstock, what type of toys are more likely to be enjoyed by a parrotlet, and of course, what size cage or housing ... there are areas in this forum that cover those subjects ....

When I picked up my little green parrotlet from a breeder, there was a white parrotlet that was just beautiful. The irrediscent feathers reminded me of an opal....

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Hi and welcome to you and your new Parrotlet! What's his name?

Someone has posted directions for posting photos - maybe it will come up when you do a search. First you have to have the photos on a place like PhotoBucket or WebShots. Then there's a link you click to post in a forum. Pretty easy once you've done it!

·
Registered
243 Posts

My biggest parrotlet advice from experience would be to make sure he has a large enough cage. When I first got Levi I had him in a pretty typical size cage for a parakeet, but they need much bigger! The person I got the cage from said it would be fine and has parrotlets, more than one, and said that they don't require a bigger cage than the one I had, but I found out on my own that they definitely do! I don't remember the exact dimensions, but my cage was something like 20in high, 17in wide, and 13in depth.

Levi would be going to the bottom of the cage and doing this paniced scratching thing trying to escape because he was so stressed out being in a small area. As soon as I got him the HQ flight cage I have for him now, he is a much much happier bird and he never does that panic thing he used to do. He also never used to play with his toys and now he does.:)

So, that is the main advice I have. There are a ton of people on here who have a lot of knowledge about these sweet little guys who can answer any and all questions that you have. I am a new parrotlet owner myself and have only had my guy since Feb 13th, so I am still learning also.

Good luck with him!

You can view my new cage here: http://talkparrotlets.com/showthread.php?t=4320
I think it is the ideal cage to have. I love it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, I do have a cage that is almost as big as yours, Woody seems to like it. Levi is beautiful! I will definately try to post pictures this weekend. Looking at all the pictures here has been so much fun, I didn't realize Parrotlets came in such a variety of colors.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just got an American White male too... so adorable. He was born around December 6th.. so, about 9 to 10 weeks old now. Best of luck with your little sweetie. I have so much to learn. I’ve raised African Greys and macaws from the hand feeling stage... but this parrotlet is a new different level.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts