Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I just got a new Parrotlet two days ago and I'm already confused on what to do.

For one, I can't get him to eat anything other than seeds, I've tried veggies fruits bread brown rice anything and he just won't eat it.

I also have been trying to train him and use treats for positive reinforcement, but he won't accept any treats. He already knows step up because I bought him hand fed from a breeder who taught him, but if i want to try just teaching him that coming out is fun by giving treats or using toys it just doesn't work. He doesn't take any treats from me, and he won't play with any toys. I'm at a loss as to what to do.

I'm also not sure what to do when it comes to taking him out of his cage. The breeder and some things online said that after he's rested for a day, I can start just taking him out and working with him 10-15 min at a time. But it takes him jumping around a bit before I can get him to go on my finger, and I'm not sure if I'm messing up a potential relationship with him and teaching him to associate me with fear. And every time I take him out he'll stay for a bit but constantly try to "fly" (his wings are clipped but he's flown before so he knows how to do it) away.

I really just want to be able to bond with him and have a great relationship, and have a way to train him and give him healthy food.

·
Registered
460 Posts
1. Let him eat whatever for a week. New environment = stress.
2.just work on step up training for now - but wait one week.
3. Bonding takes time. I suggest just letting him sit with you and eat millet for now.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So how can I introduce him to fresh foods correctly then? He knows step up pretty well, but so is it ok for me to try to get him out even though he jumps around a bit before I can get him on my finger? I'm not making him scared of me? I let him sit with me and I bring a playstand and millet and everything but he just keeps flying away and he won't take anything from me, seeds/fruits/millet/etc. He only eats in his cage

·
Super Moderator
4,459 Posts
One thing you can do is be in his area and go about your business. Get him use to the concept that you can be in the same area, moving around and doing stuff and not pushing him to do stuff or trying to eat him. You can at times talk to him softly, place your hands into the cage and move stuff around with out engaging him. If he wants to engage then do so but don't push it. The whole point is for him to feel safe when you are around.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
12,210 Posts
If he knows step up then I would work with him 5 - 10 minutes per day 2 x a day on that. Other than that I would just talk to him and be in the room with him. Keep millet in his cage and let him eat what he is used to eating. You can introduce other foods a little at a time. I've had Oliver for 4 months and he is now eating broccoli and carrots. He liked birdie bread right away well about 2 weeks after I had him. Take things slow. Everything is new to him. He is in a strange place, his nest mates are gone, the breeder "his human mommy" is gone. He's scared and needs time to adjust.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the help everyone, I've been trying to do just that. He seems fine with me moving things around in his cage and I've been sitting near the cage and talking to him as much as I can. The problem comes when he realizes I want to take him on my hand.

So the only thing I'm still not clear about is, should I (nicely) get him to come onto my finger even if he's jumping around for awhile before I can get him to do it, or should I just leave it up to him and if he jumps away I just leave him alone?

·
Super Moderator
4,459 Posts
Thank you for the help everyone, I've been trying to do just that. He seems fine with me moving things around in his cage and I've been sitting near the cage and talking to him as much as I can. The problem comes when he realizes I want to take him on my hand.

So the only thing I'm still not clear about is, should I (nicely) get him to come onto my finger even if he's jumping around for awhile before I can get him to do it, or should I just leave it up to him and if he jumps away I just leave him alone?
I would start with bribery. Start by feeding him millet, get him use to eating millet from your hand. Then create a situation that in order for him to get to the millet he has to step on your finger. My guys were scared of hands and fingers at first so I had to create a situation where they had to step on the back of my hand first, which they considered acceptable.

Take it slow. Think baby steps. Think non threatening. He has been through a lot in a short amount of time so he is going to need time to adjust.

Sounds like you are doing fine.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thank you!! I gave that a try and he didn't really need much temptation, I was able to get my hand all the way up to him. But as soon as he had to go so far as to take a step onto my hand he just gave my hand a nibble and walked away. I guess I'm seeing the consequences of two days of me chasing him in the cage. Hopefully soon he'll learn to trust me :)

·
Super Moderator
4,459 Posts
Thank you!! I gave that a try and he didn't really need much temptation, I was able to get my hand all the way up to him. But as soon as he had to go so far as to take a step onto my hand he just gave my hand a nibble and walked away. I guess I'm seeing the consequences of two days of me chasing him in the cage. Hopefully soon he'll learn to trust me :)
Nibble is good. You will get him quick enough. Little time a little patience. I know it is hard, we have all been there. It is worth the effort.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for the help, he's already made an amazing amount of progress for three days. As I speak he's on a playstand on top of his cage and will willingly step up onto my fingers, I guess it's less scary than his cage. He still doesn't initiate interaction but for three days I'm happy with this. Patience is definitely key.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts