Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my name is Melissa. I am getting my first Parrotlet on Monday and have a few questions. First, what are the necessities? I plan on ordering a lot of things from Thatpetplace.com but they won't be here before I bring the bird home. So the plan is to buy everything that it necessary at the bird store and then buy everything else online. Obviously I'll need a cage, some perches, a swing and a toy or two. I am also considering getting a "tent" which seems to be highly recommended, especially since he is currently in a cage with 3 other parrotlets. Is there anything else that I need immeadately? My next question is about millet. I've read that Parrotlets should always have it available to them. We currently have a 5 year old Senegal, Tunes. When we got her we were told that millet should only be given as a treat, is it different for parrotlets? Also what kind of food do you recommend? With Tunes we buy African blends, is there a specific blend that is good for parrotlets. I know they need fresh fruits & veggies but what kind of seeds should I buy for him?
This is my first bird, the Senegal is my boyfriends and although I live here and take care of her she doesn't like me at all. She is really his bird. He bought me the parrotlet for Valentines Day. I really want to do everything I can to get off on the right foot with him. I want him to be happy and as stress free as possible. Any suggestions or advice you guys can give me is greatly appreacited. Thanks, I look foward to getting to know all of you in the future.

·
Registered
536 Posts
P'lets are just nuts about millet...they will eat nothing else if it's available. So cut the long pieces into 2 inch pieces and only give them a small piece every 2 or 3 days. They are like all other birds...they should have as many fresh fruits and veggies as they will eat. They also LOVE bell pepper SEEDS.. aulie just gobbles them up. I give hime Avi-cakes and Nutriberries. and 100% whole wheat bread.
They love swinging toys...plastic chains etc anything that swings
Have fun...they are a hoot!

·
Registered
373 Posts
Hi Melissa,

The basic necessities are food, dishes, some perches, and a few toys. Everything else can wait a week or two before you offer it to your new P'let.

I give Nemo millet only once or twice a week as a treat. I find that if they have access to millet all the time, they will choose to eat it over anything else. When I buy toys, I always make sure that most of them have a bell or two on it because he loves ringing it to get my attention. Or attacking them when he gets angry (which is quite often nowadays -- at my boyfriend, lol).

I buy a lovebird seed mix for him and mix it in with his pellets, so he isn't being picky and just eating all the seeds up.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
794 Posts
no offense to your boyfriend but Nemo thought HE was your boyfriend, I bet your BF doesn't have beautiful blue feathers and a sweet little dark eyes huh?

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Welcome! You need a very large cage. Mine is a Kings cage, 32X21X34. Yes, swings, perches of all kinds. Rope, manzanita, dowel, concrete, other woods, etc.. I have lots of swings for Chipper. Shaggy swing, coconut and tiki hut swings, so many kinds. Lots of bell toys, wood and string toys, playgyms..on and on. She always has Topper seed and millet in her cage. Pellet also. She only eats them when she feels like it. She mainly eats the birdie breads, muffins, veggie mash, and other good foods and treats I give her. She is a great eater. Loves veggies if they are cooked and blended in the food processor.

I order from Windy City Parrots and buy lots of stuff in stores. P'lets are so very active and love toys. They need lots of good sleep also. 12 quiet hours. Chipper loves to be covered.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts