Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I'm not really sure if I'm doing this correctly but ill give it a try. New to the site, and a new-soon to be Parrotlet owner. Our Pacific baby girl gets here Sunday and we can't wait. Nervous and excited but can't wait for her to join our family. Any helpful advice would be greatly appreciated. I've been reading any and everything I can...
Thanks in advance. :)

·
Registered
577 Posts
Welcome. So exciting waiting for that 28 grams of joy to arrive.
I think there's a rule about posting photos of all new arrivals but we can wait on those ;)

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Hello and welcome! You didn't mention how old your new baby is, but in any event, it would not hurt to get yourself a gram scale. Weighing your new little one will alert you to any weight loss and you will have time to address it. Some babies, even though weaned, can regress and may need a supplement hand feeding, if they are not eating enough on their own. I'm sure you have read the posts about having millet available, preferably on the floor of the cage, along with water, at all times. Of course, I'm sure your breeder will have told you all the other items your baby has been eating. Relax and enjoy - Sunday will be here in no time at all!

·
Registered
5,685 Posts
Good luck with your new little one, and enjoy!

Right now I'd imagine you are like a kid before Christmas...:)

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all so much! I'm actually not too sure on her exact age but I've just emailed to ask. When I started talking to her she said the babies were ready next week and I didn't think to ask...
I am soooo very excited. I originally wanted a male as my son and I would like to teach it to say peekaboo when we teach it to play. (He's only 3 1/2 but looooves birds) but she didn't have any males available so we decided to go with a baby girl instead. Can't wait to snuggle And teach tricks. We do have a gram scale and are going to be getting the supplies and toys and what not this week. I will be sure to have lots of millet :).
I'm sure I will be asking questions along the way. Hoping she adjusts to her new family ok. :)

·
Registered
368 Posts
I'm excited with you! I think the most exciting part is waiting and the most difficult. LOL.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Very much so! Lol Im a bird owner newbie so this is all so foreign to me. I've been reading a lot though and do have experience with birds. Just not my own. (My Highschool boyfriends parents had a moloccan and a goffin cockatoo.) So I hope I get the hang of things fairly quickly. Haha.
Do I need to get a cover for her cage as well and cover her up at night? If she is in the living room and I am watching TV a bit late will she still go to sleep or do I cover her or do I wait until I go to bed to cover her? Ohhhh all the questions I feel I will have... So nervous.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Also curious. I have been reading that p'lets are kind of 1 person birds, and was wondering what your thoughts were on this? Will she only bond with one of us or love us all?

·
Registered
577 Posts
We're told p'lets should get 10 hours of sleep. I semi-cover Peete's cage. But only to keep him warm. It gets chilly in our condo. We also have a heat panel he can perch near. Some people have quite the detailed bedtime routine. I think one woman has to sing a lullaby when the cover their bird, gets upset if she doesn't.

I was worried about Peete bonding to both of us. As a matter of fact I was a bit jealous when he bonded with the husband 1st. I thought I was going to be odd man out. Nope! Peete loves us both. He hangs with Jack during the day. Glued to me in the evenings.

He's on the kitchen counter right now choking down on a freeze-dried raspberry. (He won't eat fresh, to wet)

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Aww so cute! I absolutely cannot wait. So a heat panel is something I should get as well? (I live in Northern BC, Canada) I was concerned with the coldness of the front door opening being too cold for her?
I really haven't be this excited for I don't know how long.
Also, can you potty train them like large birds or how does that work? Sorry so many questions

·
Registered
577 Posts
We live in an old building. Gets rather chilly at night. Peete has a huge cage. I have a 50 watt heap panel next to his sleeping spot. It's high up. I don't have a proper cover. Currently I'm using a large beach towel to semi cover the cage & trap heat up top. He's got plenty of room to perch in a cooler spot if he wants.
The panel doesn't get very warm. Mounts a few inches away from the cage. No roasted p'let
I got it here

http://www.avitec.com/Avi-Temp-Infrared-Heat-Panels-p/ihp.htm

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
Congratulations! She will be so much joy to your family! I also had too big of a cage to cover so we found a piece of fleece and hung it through the top. It made a tent over her perch and she would sleep in there and stay snugly warm. They make a tent like contraption but she would poop on the floor and it was impossible to keep clean. This trick was much better and I could change it out regularly.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts