Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I am new to parrotlets but had other birds in my life(an awesome budgie named Tweety, and finches). Now I have a wonderful 6 yr old lady parrotlet Mya, she is 90% sweetness and 10% chili peppers lol. So tame and funny. I have added 4 pics , I am wondering what mutation she is ? She is yellow but is she an american , a european , or dilute( I am starting to get confused). The other thing is I want to get her a boyfriend as I will be going back to work soon and want her to have some company during the day. I know 6yrs is old for mating but she has never had the babies and is really healthy and active. I would appreciate any input on that subject, also any thing about what color would be the best to mate her with. Truly I want a male with a good personality and is tame. I guess that brings one other question, if I mate her with an other tame male would they keep some of that tameness? I would be ok with some lose of tameness if that made her happier/healthier. I know she dose want to clutch, the previous owner had a paired couple and Mya would look for nesting sights and lay infertile eggs b/c of the males presence. Not now though(no eggs) but she is definitely bonded to me and even saying "pretty bird" now out of no where. She hasn't spoken ever. It is very rough "pretty bird" but it's "pretty bird". Any help would be much appreciated.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,210 Posts
With green feathers I would say European Yellow. Why do you want to get her a male? Do you want to breed? P'lets do very well alone and if you get a male they might not get along and become very aggressive towards each other and you will have to house them separately. If you want a male, because you want one and know that you may not be able to put them together than I say go ahead but at her age trying to introduce a male might not be a good idea.

·
Registered
7,783 Posts
First of all she is beautiful! I had a male and female, never wanted to mate them. It took 1 whole year for them to become friendly, female was a rescue of 2 years old, the male I got as a baby. I had their cages next to each other and they played together , but I did not let them in the cages together. If one parrotlet doesn't like the other they will fight to the death of one. There is no guarantee they would bond. They would like calling to each other and not feel alone. When they came out of the cage I always was with them, they did get into some tiffs that I had to step in.

·
Registered
3,181 Posts
She is stunning! I do love the yellows! She does strike me as being a bit old to breed now and I have to agree with the others to be prepared if you do get another bird and they don't get along. They have to be separately housed right away. One forum member recounted a rather gruesome story of one of her plets becoming aggressive with the other and the next day, he was found dead. Tragic. But as long as you are prepared and want the male for you (she will be perfectly fine in her own with toys and things to shred to entertain her), then in will just look forward to hearing more about it. She sure is beautiful - a lovely, deep yellow!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
First thank you both for the response and thanks Evelyn for the compliment( I promise Mya says thank you lol. Your Bebe and Noah are Cuties as well). Ya the green is what threw me off on being american. I would like a male and if they didn't get along I would be ok and would keep them in different cages. The mating process is really interesting and I love babies but my main motivation is that the previous owner told me that little Mya seems to want to have babies but never had a mate. I just want her to have that, I bred the finches and grew up around cat litters, and puppy litters. I never have seen animals as happy as when they have babies. But if it will be bad for her than no. So what I am getting is that it would be tough to find compatibility. One weird question, can you mate a Pacific with a Spectacled?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thank you ginziputzi. She is a "Pretty Bird". :). She is older I know but I have read that they can breed till 8 if healthy, strong, and willing. She is so sweet and I just want her to have that joy. I have called around to the breeders in Toronto they all said 6 isn't too old. Your advice is heard and if I get a male I will be for me and as a buddy for her to talk with in another cage. So lets be friend and see what happens but at a slow pace.

Your little Kiwi looks like a fun little guy, my favorite is the male green for colouring.

·
Registered
7,783 Posts
First thank you both for the response and thanks Evelyn for the compliment( I promise Mya says thank you lol. Your Bebe and Noah are Cuties as well). Ya the green is what threw me off on being american. I would like a male and if they didn't get along I would be ok and would keep them in different cages. The mating process is really interesting and I love babies but my main motivation is that the previous owner told me that little Mya seems to want to have babies but never had a mate. I just want her to have that, I bred the finches and grew up around cat litters, and puppy litters. I never have seen animals as happy as when they have babies. But if it will be bad for her than no. So what I am getting is that it would be tough to find compatibility. One weird question, can you mate a Pacific with a Spectacled?
No, they are different birds. The babies would be hybrids and weak, if they lived would not be healthy. Some genes don't mix. They could hatch deformed, etc.

·
Registered
7,783 Posts
PS as for the mutation she does have really nice light blue on her back between her wings, that can't be seen in the pics. If that makes a difference .
here is a You tube link of her and her favorite food. If you haven't noticed I am crazy for these little bird now. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tz_0fLNWgVM
She is so pretty, I can't wait to get my yellow boy. Would love to see the blue on her back. Noah won't be a bright yellow, he is a dilute.

·
Registered
3,181 Posts
Well that is wonderful then! Sounds like you are catering to her needs and happiness, so I am a happy camper too! She is so lovely - the sun really brings out her greens. I look forward to hearing more of your adventures!

·
Registered
5,685 Posts
Greetings and welcome! Don't have anything to add, just wanted to say hello and comment on what a lovely bird you have... a real beauty, and a sweetie from the sounds of it!

Whatever you choose to do, I wish you well! :)

·
Registered
11,181 Posts
Such a pretty little girl! You've gotten good advice so far :) She appears to be an European yellow (aka pastel). Best pairing is to a green bird to have the strongest genes if babies occur.

As for breeding with a Spectacle, it can be done, but frowned upon due to mixing of the different species; that and by creating hybrids, you're limiting the gene pool available for breeding pure Pacifics and Spectacles. The Spectacle gene pool is so limited that most of them are being saved for breeding with hopefully unrelated lines.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
She is in bed now but I will get a good pic of her blue patch tomorrow. We will be in the back yard all day and that mean baths and preening. I do make sure she has good shade and good sun so no wories

I have one other question, I was reading something about ear and nose nibbling and can not find it no. It is something new and doesn't hurt but I am wondering what it's about? She seems quite happy with me, totally trusting for long sckrich(preening) sessions( as in gets moody if they end to quickly LOL) nd the "pretty bird" talking I figure was a happiness deal as well . So I am stumped.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Ya thanks Everyone she is a pretty bird lol . And a huge Sweetie, love to snuggle and get skriches when she wants the lol. I really enjoy her and have enjoyed making toys for her. The real turning point in bonding with her was when I made her a tee shirt strip house in the top corner so the tee shirt strips hang down either side of her top perch. She loves it.

Ya I figured it wasn't good to mix the breeds but was curious.

Jinx n Noodle, if i found a nice guy green to pair her with would it be possible he is green recessive yellow and get different babies? If I can find a male, oh and would it be better if that male is older like her or would a 2 yr old be ok. or would younger be better?

I have been looking for tame that are her age and that is very difficult.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum,
Your girl looks gorgeous! She also looks like a flinger ;)
I'm in Toronto too and hearing you talk about the spectacled parrotlet makes me think you're talking to the same breeder I am :p
No clue about breeding but I hope all goes well! I'm the type to believe every animal needs a mate, if you do have your eyes on one, you might wish to ask the person if you can bring over your p'let and test the waters?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
She is a huge flinger, lol When she gets strawberries or tomatoes she gets covered in red. First time I gave her a strawberry she didn't touch it and I forgot about it and was doing stuff next thing I know I check on her and shes covered in red. I totally freaked a bit, though it was blood. looked like she lost her beak or something.

I didn't get the Spectacle idea from a breeder, I just was reading about themn and was curious. I did have one breeder offer to let me try his green semi tame male 3 yr old for 3-4 weeks, no charge unless I keep him. He said the guy was good with mates but not that great with humans. I want a truly tame guy though.

sometimes24 if you do hear of any nice tame hand fed pet males that are looking for a rehome please let me know.

And of course thank you for the compliment, How old is you Koko? she looks like a sweet young lady.

·
Registered
3,181 Posts
She is in bed now but I will get a good pic of her blue patch tomorrow. We will be in the back yard all day and that mean baths and preening. I do make sure she has good shade and good sun so no wories

I have one other question, I was reading something about ear and nose nibbling and can not find it no. It is something new and doesn't hurt but I am wondering what it's about? She seems quite happy with me, totally trusting for long sckrich(preening) sessions( as in gets moody if they end to quickly LOL) nd the "pretty bird" talking I figure was a happiness deal as well . So I am stumped.
I think it is amazing that she is speaking, even if it is a bit rough. The ladies don't typically speak - Kiwi never has although she has specific chirps for certain things, like "pretty girl".

As for the nibbling, it is likely a preening thing that is part if the bonding. I think it is a good thing. Kiwi used to nibble my ear and preen my hair (never my nose though) but as she has gotten older, she prefers all of the cuddling and scritching to be to her benefit.

She sounds like such a happy bird.
I see now how much allowing her to have a clutch really is your desire to let her be fulfilled and while I know I expressed concern earlier, I just feel like the two of you will know what is right. It is so great to see and read of such happy times.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts