1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I bought (Sebastian) 3 days ago
and he just doesnt stop screaming/chirping
He is my first Parrotlet. I've owned budgies, canaries, and cocktails a long time ago. Then gave them away because i moved out. and now I am living in an apartment with a budgie and Sebastian.

When I first got him in he was so quiet and just looking at the other budgie and whistling to him. (they are in seperate cages but right next to each other).
After 7 hours he started screaming none stop. I thought, since it was 8pm, he wanted to sleep so i covered him and turned off the lights. he stopped screaming.

The next day i woke him up and he returned to screaming again. so I moved him to the living room away from the budgie where, I thought, is more comfortable for him. Still no use. :confused:
On the same day I opened the cage and put my hand in. He was ok didnt move or anything but kept looking. I took my hand out and started talking to him smoothly and he started screaming again. I held a spray melt and he came down for it and ate it while I was holding it. progress :cool:
He was quit so I left. :eek:

Well here is my first mistake, I left the door cage open. You guessed it right he got out and walked away from the cage and headed to the restroom and my bedroom. It all went so fast I didnt know what to do.i wanted to grab him but didnt want to hurt him. So I brought the cage for him, but he didnt care about it and went back to his tour !!!!!!!! :eek:
Finally I graped him and put him in the cage and closed the doors. he got back on screaming and flying around the cage.

Today he is still screaming and flying around the cage.
What am I to do ? :confused:

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Screaming and normal parrotlet vocalizations are very different things - since you also describe the screaming as "chirping", I'm wondering if you can describe the noises he's making a bit more.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Maybe he is calling to you because he wants attention?
You might want to work on getting a little more comfortable handling him.
There are some great resources on here about hand taming you should check out.
Search under millet training and that should do the trick.
Remember it takes patience and work to get these little ones bonded and trusting to us.

·
Registered
130 Posts
not sure, what to say, i do know that for whatever reason, my bird seems to start chirping without cease as well. I try to talk to her, take her out, but, it doesn't always help. I will sometimes cover the cage till she quiets down, as I'm at a loss for other ideas. Good luck, I hope it works out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
not sure, what to say, i do know that for whatever reason, my bird seems to start chirping without cease as well. I try to talk to her, take her out, but, it doesn't always help. I will sometimes cover the cage till she quiets down, as I'm at a loss for other ideas. Good luck, I hope it works out.
yeah i am facing the same problem
I always talk to him give him millet and still no use.
I think its because he's new to the environment and doesnt want to accept where he is.
I'll just wait and continue with the training

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Screaming and normal parrotlet vocalizations are very different things - since you also describe the screaming as "chirping", I'm wondering if you can describe the noises he's making a bit more.
his screams are very loud, it always wakes me up. and when he's not screaming he's making soft sounds. I cant tell if he's sad or just too happy.

but now he's a bit quieter. I think he's getting used to his new home.
I thought parrotlets are the quites kind of parrots
is it normal for them to make a lot of noises??

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Maybe he is calling to you because he wants attention?
You might want to work on getting a little more comfortable handling him.
There are some great resources on here about hand taming you should check out.
Search under millet training and that should do the trick.
Remember it takes patience and work to get these little ones bonded and trusting to us.
I am working on handling him right now.I am sure that i am giving him enough attention.
there are good resources in this website I am so glad I found this website.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
You know, it sorta sounds like your birdie is bored..If you put him in a safe room (door closed, few places to hide, etc) and let him explore. Keep a piece of millet with you and start connecting more with him. Wherever he came from, I bet he had a lot of attention. Just a thought...The other thing you might look at is whether he is afraid of something in his cage.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
you know what, he stopped screaming now. I am working with him now and its much easier than before.
I think his cause of screaming was because its a new environment for him and he didnt feel safe. But now he accepted his new home and started playing with his toys.

Thanx for helping everyone. I feel much better now.

·
Registered
168 Posts
They say parrotlets aren't capable of of screaming, that being said, mine starts chirping really loudly when we walk through the door.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Mine both raise a ruckus when they hear me at the door. Healey can really bellow out a little tune when he wants to as well. I have to say, Healey! Tone it down a notch but they do not scream. Well, except once when we were at the vet and Healey pretty much screamed at her, but normally no. They mostly sound like the birds outside and none off the ear piercing sqawks of the bigger birds.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts