Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

I recently got two Pacific Parrotlets. They are sisters and nearly nine months old. Their names are Poppet and Pickle.
I’m looking to see if anyone has some advice for a first time Parrotlet owner?

I don’t think the breeder ever let them out their cage as they were kept in the same room as a dog. I have been leaving the cage door open so they can fly out if they like - they’ve been looking but haven’t left it yet. I’m thinking this is likely just because it’s unfamiliar and they’ll come out on their own eventually. Does anyone have tips for helping coax them out as I don’t want them missing out on exercise.

I speak to them all the time while I’m working at my laptop and they look like they’re listening to me. I’ve desensitised them to my hand running over the cage and they don’t seem bothered when I put my hand in to change their water or food etc. They’re happy to take food out of my fingers through the bars (like a slice of pepper and they’ll just nibble at the end). But it does take them a good minute to assess whether they want to go for it or not - getting better with each try. Slowly getting them to trust me in the hope I can finger train them. Trying to interact with them about 4/5 times a day for short 5/10 minute stints so I don’t annoy them too much.

The cage they were in didn’t have any toys in it so I got them a couple and am trying to introduce them slowly as I don’t want to change their environment too much too soon. I’ve hung a colourful ladder on the outside of their cage near their treat stick so they can get used to seeing it before putting it in. Any tips for adding and moving things in cages?

Any advice would be appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
4,920 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum!
Patience is key when convincing parrotlets that you are not a parrotlet-eating monster. Put perches and toys on the outside of the cage so that the outside and the inside look similar, and they are more likely to want to exit the cage. Your approach with introducing new toys is perfect!

One thing to be prepared for is aggression against each other. Parrotlets don't normally enjoy sharing a cage, and can turn on a cage-mate as they grow into adults. If you see any squabbling, then you should immediately give them their own cages. Female parrotlets especially look to have their own space as adults.

·
Banned
1,678 Posts
Rudydoo252 is correct about the parrotlet aggression. It is recommended to house them separately as a result, and even bonded pairs have been known to kill or injure a mate. Their cages can be placed side by side and they can have supervised out of cage time. Many times, the first warning that something is wrong is a dead or injured bird.

It is difficult to train them when they are caged together since they have each other and do not need you except for food and water. Patience and persistence are key with training and working with them.

One idea for any toys or items that you plan to put in the cage is to put them on a nearby surface where they can observe them for a while, so that they know that they are not scary parrotlet eating monsters.

·
Super Moderator
4,469 Posts
I have some rescues that were cage bound. I coaxed mine out by leaving the cage open and decorating the outside of the cage like the inside with perches and coop cups with treats so the outside looked a bit like the inside and not a scary border change between known and unknown.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum! Your girls are so cute and I love their names. :) They look so sweet. They appear to get along well, but I have to agree with the others - parrotlets are too aggressive, territorial, and unpredictable for them to be sharing the same cage. Just because they get along now does not mean they will tomorrow. Siblings have been known to turn on each other. Plus you have to think it can possibly increase hormonal behavior having them together. Two females sharing a cage can lead to egg laying - something you do not want to start. Besides, parrotlets like having their own stuff. Separating them will be beneficial to for you too, because it will help them bond to with you faster and it could help make training easier. Be sure to keep millet in their cage(s), it helps them cope with stress they may be having being in a new home. It is their "comfort" food. Having two parrotlets will have its challenges, so if you have any more questions, feel free to ask! Keep us informed on how Poppet and Pickle are doing! :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi and welcome to the forum! Your girls are so cute and I love their names. :) They look so sweet. They appear to get along well, but I have to agree with the others - parrotlets are too aggressive, territorial, and unpredictable for them to be sharing the same cage. Just because they get along now does not mean they will tomorrow. Siblings have been known to turn on each other. Plus you have to think it can possibly increase hormonal behavior having them together. Two females sharing a cage can lead to egg laying - something you do not want to start. Besides, parrotlets like having their own stuff. Separating them will be beneficial to for you too, because it will help them bond to with you faster and it could help make training easier. Be sure to keep millet in their cage(s), it helps them cope with stress they may be having being in a new home. It is their "comfort" food. Having two parrotlets will have its challenges, so if you have any more questions, feel free to ask! Keep us informed on how Poppet and Pickle are doing! :)
Update on Poppet and Pickle! In just four days they’ve went from being cage bound to sitting on their wee perch outside. They’re so clever and curious I’m so proud of them! They let me pet their beak now too. Such good girls. Glad they trust me with their new cage coming this week - hoping they forgive me for separating them. They staryer

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Another update on Poppet and Pickle! They’re now separated successfully. It only took an hour! I’m so impressed with my girls. Lots of treats and love today to help them adjust to their new living environments 💕

·
Super Moderator
4,920 Posts
Yay! They are good girls! It sounds like they are happy girls, and adjusting very well. I am glad they now each have their own space, so that they won't have issues in the future. It is definitely easier to make the change when they are still young instead of waiting until they are older and more set in their ways. :) I love all the pictures!

·
Registered
776 Posts
Grrreat! Poppet and Pickle seem to be adjusting very well. Such clever girls! So the new cage arrived. So, is it still going good? They still adjusting well?

If you have noticed, most new cages come with plastic bowls which are not the best choice for our birds. Plastic is porous which makes it hard to clean and can make it easy for bacteria to form. So, when you get a chance, it would be a good idea to replace all the plastic bowls you have with stainless steel ones. Ceramic bowls are another good option, too, but being heavy, probably best used outside the cage. Of course, you can also put a ceramic bowl at the bottom of the cage, but most birds prefer their food and water high up. So, which one is Poppet and which one is Pickle?

·
Super Moderator
6,553 Posts
They are so precious! I have really enjoyed reading this thread and all of the progress you may for them, huge pat on the back to you these girls are so lucky to have you! Great job I wish I could like this post 10 times!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts