Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have 2 parrotlets and am very glad that I found this site as I have lots of questions re: my babies.

I have a male (Shorty), and a female (Blue Bonnet, AKA Bonnie). I have them in separate cages side by side. I've begun to let them out to crawl on top of their own cage and they are just beginning to show alot of interest in each other.

When they're together, they play like they are feeding each other. Like mothers do for babies. Is this normal? The male also prunes the female's neck. What worries me is that he may get too aggressive and peck her. I also worry that he could poke her in the eye out of aggression.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thank you.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Hey Yvonne! Welcome to the site :) . When bird regurgiate for each other, it's a sign of affection. Sam used to regurgitate for his budgie friend. He even regurgitated to our fingers when we'd scratch his head! Also, as long as neither bird appears aggressive, and as long as they've been raised in the same cage from the beginning, they should be fine. Parrotlets are very teritorrial, so they don't like new additions to their cage. However, if they were both put in the cage at the same time, everything should be fine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Dave,

The birds were not raised together. I bought them seperately. They are very young however. I bought Shorty over the summer and Bonnie just last month. They were both brand new when I bought them - just old enough to sell.

I have the cages side by side so they can see and hear each other. When I let them out they climb to the top of their cages and the male in particular is very interested. He seems to be the more aggressive one.

Should I worry about aggression?

Yvonne

1 - 3 of 3 Posts