Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.
I'm a new bird mum and when an opportunity rose just under two weeks ago to have our beautiful Dodi I couldn't resist. He's a gorgeous Pacific Parrotlet. I love him so much.
He is 6 months old, his previous owner bought him to train him and then sell on but didn't get round to training him so he isn't tame at the moment. And as someone who is new to Parrotlets/birds in general I have been researching and doing as much as I can to get up to speed with how to look after these beautiful birds.
This being said I do get a bit confused with all the advice that is given, some disagreeing with others. I have so many questions but I'll try to be brief.
I'm not sure when to try to get him to step up, at the moment he is a bit wary of us still, he flies away when I put his food and water bowl in but sometimes he does stay until I tap his perch because it's close to the bowls. I have been putting my hand near the cage and praising him when he calms down and realised my hand isn't too scary. But apart from this I'm a bit unsure, I know it takes time from weeks to months with Parrotlets, I just want to do it right and reduce any fear or stress on his part. He's all fluffed up now and looking at me as I'm sat beside his cage and I so long to give him scritches but I know to be patient and wait for him. He's also got new feathers growing so I'm sure he's not too happy about that either.
Any advice would be much appreciated and I doubt this will be the last time I post because as I said I'm full of questions :)

·
Registered
4,923 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Most p'letts have " hand in the cage aggression " at first. Some get over it and some do not. You have had Dodi for 2 weeks and this is not enough time for him to settle down. You said he was not trained or friendly when you got him. Since he is not trained, you have to get his trust. Be calm. Talk to him. Offer a single treat to him . You can put the treat on the palm of your hand and put your hand at the opening of the cage door. Or, you can offer Dodi a treat through ( between) the bars of his cage next to where he sits on a perch.

You must approach him very slowly when he is in his cage. Never put your hand above his head, because this is a threat to him. He likes to be on top. If you want him to step up, you can try to get him to do this in his cage. When he is sitting on his perch, approach him from below the perch with your hand. Have your finger out (like a perch) and very, very, slowly approach him while talking sweetly to him. Very slowly!!! If he doesn't get away from you, keep getting closer and closer. This may take several attempts a day for many days before he trusts you.
If you get your finger right up to his perch, stop! Relax for a minute. If he still is on the perch, then slowly...I mean slowly put your finger across his lower chest (in front of his legs) and very gently push against his chest, like you want to knock him off the perch. Go slow!!!! He will have a choice...either fall off the perch or flap his wings for balance or he will instinctively step up onto your finger. While you are pushing, say, " Step up...step up ". Once he is on your finger...freeze! Do not move, but give him praise. A lot of praise.

If you want, very slowly try to take your finger and put him on another perch. Eventually, you will leave him on your finger and slowly take him out of the cage for a brief time.

This is how I have done this for over 55 years.( mostly with budgies ) . It works with parrotlets, too. My first p'lett was on my finger in less than 10 minutes after I brought him home. He was not trained.

Make friends with you bird. Give treats. Use millet or pieces of fresh veggies as a treat.

Depending on the bird, it may take a while or not take a while.P'letts are not all the same.

This is one way to try.....

David🦜

1 - 2 of 2 Posts