Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!
I am new to the whole bird thing and actually came into owning my little parrotlets by rescuing them from an abusive situation. The pair was left in a tiny cage all alone together in a bathroom with nothing but sunflower seeds to eat and a bit of paper to shred. I may not know much about birds, but I could not believe the horrible condition they were in. I have had them for a little over 2 weeks now and they are already looking better and are actually eating pellets and the occasional millet. I look forward to learning everything I can in order to give them the absolute best home possible. They are very bonded to each other. I have a ton of questions and will probably ask a lot of stupid ones, but I just want to know all I can. Thanks in advance for everything!!

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Welcome to the site Moli - I'm glad you found us. I'm sure you will find some great information here - and keep in mind we've all felt like we've asked stupid questions in the beginning :D

Its great your rescued these two birds - they are very lucky you came along. Tell us all about them when you can and post some pics if possible.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Welcome to the forum! ;)

You sure will learn LOTS of information from this forum and it's very nice members. They are all very nice and knowledgable.

Hey - we all have to start somewhere, and like Pado said: we all have asked stupid questions.

I am glad you took in those mistreated birds, and you did the right thing by giving them a nice home, and most of all - doing research and coming to THIS forum. :D

Again, welcome and I hope to hear more about your parrotlets and possibly see some pictures! :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. :) I feel better already. I am wondering though, they are not tame at all at this point and are super jumpy around people. Since they are bonded to each other will they ever become hand tame? Right now they flip out every time I stick my hand into the cage to change the water and food. I don't even want to try to touch them cos it would probably stress them out and they seem so terrified.

On the up side, they are SUPER fun to watch. I will take pictures of the little guys soon. Their names are Peetree and Duckie :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The person I got them from said that they were about a year and have been together for nearly 8 months. She said she wanted to breed them and was upset that they weren't producing eggs (hence her getting rid of them). I couldn't believe she was trying to breed the little babies! They still seem waaaayyyyy too young. Anyway, I am hoping I do right by them and make them happy. Right now they are chirping away at eachother :) they are sooo cute!

·
Registered
794 Posts
That is a quite a while for them being together, which might make it harder to hand tame. But, like I said, it may be possible with time.
Others will post more information.
----

Indeed, they are cute! I have a male blue (Oscar)

that I just intorduced to his new "girlfriend', Maya.

They LOVE each other. They are so cute to watch. They play together, preen each other, eat together, etc.

More pictures:
http://s243.photobucket.com/albums/ff254/nar1122pets/Oscar-Parrotlet/

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Nothings impossible :) - Unfortunately I don't have any experience with taming a wild pair. My female wasn't friendly when I got her but my male was so she came around because of him. I'm sure you'll get more people answering.

If they or either of them were hand raised it will be a bit easier to get them to come around. Even some very young hand raised birds can take a long time to warm up in a new home - some up to a year. If neither of them were hand raised and they are bonded the task will be harder - but that just means more time.

You are correct about stressing them out by trying to touch them - I believe the worst thing one can do is to grab them and take them out (some people recommend this method) but I believe it makes the bird fear you and hence sets you way back.

You're best bet for now is baby steps. Just sitting by their cage, reading, talking to them or singing whatever you're comfortable doing. The more you do this the more use they'll get to you. I don't believe they will ever become cuddly - mostly pairs will tolerate us but they prefer each other.

Mine are friendly, I can pick them up and move them about - they will fly to my shoulder etc but they only do this on their terms and prefer to be with each other mostly - Which is fine with me - I think thats how it should be. I was glad to hear you say they are fun to watch - I agree with this 100% I get more pleasure from watching mine together.

I think your goal should be to get them not to fear you when you enter their cage - get them used to your presence. With a lot of Time and Patience they will see you are not going to harm them and will learn not to be afraid. Once you accomplish that you can move on to another task with them.

But you have lots of time - they are very long lived :D

You sound very caring - I'm glad you got these birds out of the situation they were in. I agree, that person should not have been trying to breed them.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Welcome! I have one parrotlet girl, Chipper. I adore Parrotlets! CUTE, quiet, funny, acrobatic, and they can be so sweet too!

I am so happy that you saved your Parrotlets from a sad life! They live a long time if taken care of and they deserve a wonderful life!

You can learn so much here about cages, toys, food and care! We all continue to learn. Ask any question you want! We love photos too!

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Moli -- welcome and congratulations on your rescue. Nothing is more gratifying than helping to enrich their little lives. Since they have been together for so long, as Pado suggested to spend time reading nearby, talk softly to them and don't make any quick actions. Unfortunately, being stuck in a bathroom and I'm wondering if they could have been teased or the cage banged on that could have them so nervous. I rescued two parakeets many years ago that were in a cage stuck in a corner and no interaction from the family. By working with them very slow and speaking softly to them, they did come around -- one of the two plucking his chest and that eased up over time. Maybe in a couple weeks, open their cage door and offer a little treat and see if they'll venture out and just take baby steps. Good luck .. so glad you found the forum.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Moli,

First of all, welcome aboard and thank you for rescuing the birds!

Second, there are no stupid questions (Nick, no comments please).

You will have a long road ahead of you but be patient, read a lot and spend time with the birds - this includes just being near them. Get some books on training - a lot of people on this site, including my wife have had success with clicker training - you may want to look into it.

Once you get them a bit tamer (or sooner) buy them the biggest cage you can afford, it should help them further.

If they consider millet a treat, use it in the taming and training process.

Good Luck,

Art S.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts