Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a parrotlet about a month ago and I absolutely adore her, but she is so mean! She was hand raised in a popular pet store and was the sweetest this when we brought her home. I have been sure to hold her everydays for a few hours and let her have free time outsode her home(cage) Everytime I go near her she lunges for my fingers with her beak! I have tried simply telling her no bite, I have tried twitching her beak and telling her no, and I dont know what else to do, nothing works! -Sarah:confused:

·
Registered
794 Posts
Hi Sarah welcome to the site. Let everyone including me give you some advise and then sort through all of it and see what works for you. Here's mine..Shes' still very new to you and she has to figure you out. Sarah your gonna get bit, I know it hurts but you have got to try not withdraw your hand ( within reason of course) please believe me you cannot twitch her head or tap her or you will do damage that you may not be able to undo. She has to trust you beyond all else. They all bite...at some point even hand feed loving babies. Tell her no, calmly as the pain will let you. She will see that you are not afraid .She steps up for you on your finger? Is she in a high traffic area of your home? When does she lunge and bite, when you take her out the cage? If you will describe the scenario before she tries to bite it will help us help you. Don't worry this is fixable and very very common. By the way that bite face and lunge is about the scariest little thing they have.remember they weigh grams that little beak is sharp but it doesn't do too too much damage. I bet she's funny trying to be all big and scarey.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I fully agree with memmey. Don't pull away when she bites, or she will know she can push you around. A firm "No" with a loud voice. If she continues, after your last No, put her down & ignore her for a few moments. Also, think of her as a 3 year old child, if you have her out for hours, she will get cranky. Even though she was hand raised, getting her from a pet store means she probubly isn't used to being out for long spells at a time. Good luck!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello Sarah,

Another thing you can try when she bites (or does anything bad) is lightly blowing in her face or hand quakes (if she's on your hand at the time). My little boy doesn't seem to respond to hand quakes but lightly blowing in his face is usually enough to distract him from biting or other bad behavior.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you!

I will attempt this and thank you so much! I am not an abusive birdie mommie, I was just going based on what the crazy bird lady at the flea market told me (supposedly she has bred over 2000 parrotlets.) I am sure these tips will work! -Sarah and Green Bean

·
Registered
794 Posts
Sarah we don't think your a bad parent. Just like Ms. F said they are like little kids because they are so so smart. When a human child misbehaves sometimes we are at loss to know what to do. You did the perfectly correct thing you went in search of information. Everyone here has something to offer Read them all and then make the decision that feels right for you, only you knows your little bird. Glad to meet you and have you join us, you don't have to have a question , keep us posted on your progress...go look at Ms. F's little baby parrotlet pictures ssoooo fabulous...Memmey

·
Registered
794 Posts
Oh yeah also for Clint blowing does work when they are biting you, blow when you want to scream..OWHHHHH! please don't bite.... Bitsey Jo will just bite me because she can or I didn't come when she called WHATEVER ...I'm her slave. Yes blowing does work HaHa

1 - 7 of 7 Posts