Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to introduce myself. I'm new to birds. I've kept and bred fish 32 years (sice I was 4 yearsold) and all kinds of herps (turtles, frogs & snakes) off and on. I decided 3months ago I'd get into birds (started with finches). I've always wanted a parrot, but just never got one. 3 weeks ago, I decided I'd give up keeping fish and all other critters. I want to focus on birds (parrotlets). I was at an exotic animal place (4 weeks ago), checking out finches, when a Goffin cocka2 got my attention. I went over to pet him, when I noticed this budgie sized green parrot. I thought this must be a baby. But the staff said it was near full grown. They took it out and this must have been the sweetest bird on earth. She just sat in my hand and rolled over. She let me pet her and then climbed all over me. When she was put back in the cage she hung upside down, then follwed me as I walk around the cage. She was like a puppy. I was hooked. Since then I've been doing research every night and have completed 2 books on parrotlets and parrot species, and another 2 on training. I couldn't wait to take my wife there to see that little bundle of joy. We went this weekend, but someone bought her an hour before we got there.:( My goal is to have 2 for now. I'll get them one at a time and train them to be nice family pets (I'm hoping to get a blue male and a yellow female)

·
Registered
794 Posts
Welcome to the forum :)

That's too bad that somebody bought it right before you :rolleyes:
But, on the bright side, not getting it yet gives you more time to study and research :D

I'm glad that you are doing research, and learning about them so you can be a good owner before you buy them.

Keep us updated, and good luck! :D:D

Again, welcome. ;)

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Welcome to the group! Sorry to hear that the little was purchased before you could get your wife to the store. Good luck with your search and the group is great if you have questions and need guidance. Parrotlets are great birds and you've probably learned from your research that they need plenty of interaction and lots of room (cage=wise) to move around and play. Keep us posted!

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Hi seraphim - welcome to the site - I'm glad to hear you are doing so much research - sounds like the P'lets you get will be well looked after. The best advice you'll receive on keeping two is to get the largest cage you can. Looking forward to hearing more on your quest. :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
welcome

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like the store you were in has a good breeder and works with their birds really well. If you can stick it out, I would talk to them and ask when they are expecting another clutch. I think it's worth it to get a bird that has been well handled and is friendly. They are all trainable, but maybe you won't have to do so much work.

We bought our Buddy from a great shop that works a lot with their birds. He is the BEST stepper upper and we bought him with that skill at 4 months old. My Mom bought her P'let from another place that didn't handle their birds a lot and she still has trouble getting her out of the cage almost a year later. Although it does vary from bird to bird-they all have their own personalities.

Good job on the research. Parrotlets are a joy to have and as you already have seen, will steal your heart fast!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi Seraphim, welcome to the forum. That's a shame you couldn't get that adorable bird! I joined this forum to read about other people's experiences handling parrotlets and the many things you can do to train them. I've learned a lot just browsing this area. :) Welcome welcome!

·
Registered
373 Posts
Welcome, seraphim! It's great that you're doing so much research on these little guys - they're great and I'm not surprised that you're already hooked! Hoping to hear more about your pair in the future! :)

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Welcome! Glad you are here! I hope you find your Parrotlet soon. So sorry the other one was sold! I have read books and I have learned the most from forums. From questions others have and some I had at first. I have had my little Parrotlet girl, Chipper for a year and 7 months. We are so close and she is such a joy!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks, for the warm welcome. I've not decided on caging them together. I'm thinking of getting two cages, but one parotlet at a time to ensure I can focous in on each bird during critical intial bonding and training (that's if i can resist the temptation of bring home 2). I'll confess that I'm alteratively eyeing lineolated paraaketes (but the draw back is you can't sex em, not that i'm gonna breed them...it's just a mental thing a boy and a girl...hopefuly same when i have kids)

·
Registered
794 Posts
Lineolated parakeets are very cool too!

I am soon going to be getting one (possibly).
They are the sweetest, and nicest birds.

They have the sweetest little sounds too! And, both males and females can talk.

I don't know if you are familiar with it, but there are DNA kits, where you clip the toenail and get a little bit of blood, dab it on a special card, and send it in. You will be sent the results and a certificate.
It's only $20

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just heard they were more docile than parrotlets. Just worried about my wife she's skittish, and if one of the parrotlets bit her, i'm worried she'd panic.But I think they're prettier than the linnies. Linnies also come with a heaftier price tag $50-$100 more than the parrotlets, and $45 extra charge from the breeder or retailer for sexing.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sally,
Do you think you'd put up a linnies section on the forum (not that these 2 birds are related, but very similar size somewhat similar requirements)? But I just can't help but thin of that sweet little green female parrotlet. My wife and I are already trying to picking out names for our little birds.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
These guys are very cool - I've never heard of them - I found a site that plays their sounds - they have a very interesting and quiet sound - they are by far more docile than the Parrotlet - very cute birds. I'd go for these if I were you, especially since your wife may be worried about getting bitten because a Parrotlet will bite - its just a matter of when :D - Its amazing how similar they are in looks to the P'let.

The site says they are Sexually Dimorphic - the most visible difference is the amount of black the males have at the end of their tail feathers and also the amount of black they have on their shoulders - The Females have considerably less. But a DNA test is recommended for a more definitive answer.

I'm quite taken with them :)

http://www.lineo2.bravepages.com/photos.htm

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
But they are so cute and quiet. Hey Buuz has me beat. She has like 30 budgie~

I've just got 1 40 gallon hermit crab tank, 2 p'lets, 2 quakers, 3 cats, and 3 fish tanks. Thats not too bad....

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Catfish, I just want to follow you for one day with the care of what you have already...I'm exhausted thinking about it! :p

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
It's not bad, an hour or so a day minimum. Cleaning is what takes a while. Right now because of school, my house is messy. Today I should be cleaning, but I'm tired and am putting it off until Friday when I have all day to clean. That's the day that I do all the maintence. Mow the lawn, clean cages (sanitize), and do general cleaning around the house.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts