Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw this on a bird related FB group and thought I would share it here. *I didn't not write it. it's directly stolen from the original post on FB*

"*PLEASE BE AWARE*
There is a new non-stick foil being marketed that is NOT SAFE for cooking with birds in the house. This comes in all store brands too, so please note the label when you make your purchase!
*Edit *-- I have had some inquiries as to why the non-stick foil is unsafe. While the makers of Reynolds Wrap brand state their brand is teflon free, there are silicones used that are still considered unsafe as coatings on cookware, where birds are concerned. There is plenty of discussion on parrot groups and boards in support of this finding. It is the general consensus that all non- stick coatings are not safe for birds."

·
Super Moderator
6,627 Posts
Great to know. It's too bad these manufactures don't print something on their products about the danger to birds.
I can't help but think if a cookware or a foil were responsible for the death of someone's Dog they would have put it a long time ago. Nothing against Dogs, I love all animals. It just seems like a double standard when it comes to pets that are less prominent in households.

·
Registered
5,685 Posts
This is important. Thank you for sharing this...I'll avoid the new foils. "Better to be safe than sorry," as the saying goes.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I've seen this foil in our local grocery stores and the minute I saw "non-stick," I knew this was something that would never find its way to my kitchen! With as many birds as live with me, I tend to stay with what I know works. I know my birds will be safe and it's quite possible my own health will benefit, as well!

Thanks for sharing this!

·
Registered
388 Posts
Thanks for posting....I have not seen this. Seems as though I got nuts a few months back and bought several rolls of foil, so I won't need any for quite a while....LOL

·
Registered
7 Posts
I would not buy this simply because it's more expensive than plain foil and I don't even understand why anyone would ever need this. When I cook food it doesn't stick to foil. Their official FAQ says it's non toxic to birds:

Q. Is Reynolds Wrap® Non-Stick Foil harmful to birds?

A. Reynolds Wrap Non-Stick Foil does not contain Teflon®, PTFE, or any material related to Teflon®. We know of no hazards to birds or other animals that would occur during normal or even extreme heating of our foil.

http://www.reynoldskitchens.com/media/171218/non-stick_faq.pdf

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm pretty sure the implication is that normal, old-fashioned aluminum foil is safe?

We bake bird bread for Bokeh and lately i've been wrapping the muffins in foil for freezing. The foil seems to keep the muffins fresher in the freezer than plastic wrap, but if it's not safe, i'll stop.

·
Super Moderator
5,102 Posts
Normal foil isn't safe for them to CHEW on, but it is plenty safe for humans to use around them.
The new foil would only become dangerous when heated, fyi. For freezer uses, it doesn't matter. But heating it would be the problem, when the chemicals aerosolize.

·
Premium Member
12,210 Posts
So true what Calle said. Nothing non-stick finds it's way into my kitchen. Better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I saw this in a facebook group too. A guy had said his brid died almost immediately after using it. Scary! Especially if they are listing it as bird safe....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts