Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I acquired Stewie (Dilute Blue) April 2012 at the age of 6 months and Emy (blue fallow, split green, split yellow...I think) in July 2012 at the age of 7 months. They have had a very active time of practicing to make fertile eggs. I expected that I'd be seeing eggs quite a bit sooner than now, but I guess that spring has finally sprung for the little guys.

April 29, I found the first egg broken in the bottom of the cage. May 1st, the second egg was laid inside the nest box and Emy has been attending it quite dutifully. Now May 7th - 6 days later, I have discovered a 2nd egg in the nest box. Seems to me to be quite a bit of a separation in time for what is usual. I'm not sure if we will be seeing more eggs, but want to be geared up just in case.

I ordered some Kaytee Exact hand feeding formula, knowing this is the first clutch and sometimes there can be bumps in the road and am wondering if any experienced breeders out there have any advice on brooders. There seem to be several choices out there, and some are quite costly.

I just want to make sure I am prepared in the best ways possible in case the parents (the babies more specifically) are going to need a helping hand since it is the parent's first go around.

Any helpful hints or advice will be greatly appreciated. I'm posting pictures in my profile album as things progress. Looking forward to hearing from everyone.

Thank you,

Stewie's Dad

5/9/2013 Update - 3 Eggs in nest now.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,210 Posts
Sorry I don't know anything about breeding but wanted to say you birds are b beautiful. The picture of the eggs is precious.

·
Registered
4,853 Posts
Somebody will chime in with breeding tips but in the meantime your birds are gorgeous!

·
Registered
40 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for posting these. This is great and looks so easy to put together! The brooders I'm finding range between $400-$900, kind of pricey. Do you use anything for humidity in your setup?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Thank you for posting these. This is great and looks so easy to put together! The brooders I'm finding range between $400-$900, kind of pricey. Do you use anything for humidity in your setup?
Look at small reptile starter kits. But I do not use uv light bulb. I use a ceramic heat emitter so babies can sleep. Temperature Controller thermostat keeps temperature steady and not to hot but this is not in the kit. No humidity. At Amazon It should be around $120 for all three items.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I purchased a ten gallon aquarium and found online a hood that's purpose is to be a brooder. I think it was a little over a hundred dollars, but worth it. then I went to a pet store and bought these temperature stickers that told you the humidity and temperature of your tank. Everytime I fed the babies I ofcourse cleaned out the tank and after feeding misted the sides of the tank with water and it kept the humidity to the temperature needed. I can get the name if you are at all interested. I used a bedding purchased at the pet store and placed papertowels on top. Then I bought cotton material and place square like pieces inside for them to cuddle with.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Look at small reptile starter kits. But I do not use uv light bulb. I use a ceramic heat emitter so babies can sleep. Temperature Controller thermostat keeps temperature steady and not to hot but this is not in the kit. No humidity. At Amazon It should be around $120 for all three items.
I'm going to check that out. Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I purchased a ten gallon aquarium and found online a hood that's purpose is to be a brooder. I think it was a little over a hundred dollars, but worth it. then I went to a pet store and bought these temperature stickers that told you the humidity and temperature of your tank. Everytime I fed the babies I ofcourse cleaned out the tank and after feeding misted the sides of the tank with water and it kept the humidity to the temperature needed. I can get the name if you are at all interested. I used a bedding purchased at the pet store and placed papertowels on top. Then I bought cotton material and place square like pieces inside for them to cuddle with.
I found something called AquaTop. http://www.petiatric.com/aquatopmechanicalbrooder.aspx They start around $270.00.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts