Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I already have my bird, that I'm still hand feeding for the most part, but my daughter is also getting one. This one is already fed out. When we go to get her, which should be our first step when we bring her home that day? How about the 2nd, 3rd, 4th...

·
Registered
794 Posts
You definately need to quarantine it.
I just got a 10 week old female.

If she was with all her brothers and sisters, she is going to be scared to death when you bring her home, and she will just sit on the perch in one spot and do nothing.
(this is based on what I know about Maya, the one I just recently got)
Do not try to take her out for the first couple of days. Let her get used to her environment.
Then, try to put your hand in, to get her out and there are a few possible reactions:
1-Bite
2-Run and fly away crazily, because she's scared
3-Do absolutely nothing

Solutions to the above reactions:
1-Do not pull away. Just say "NO NO NO!" Then leave her alone.
____
2-Immediately remove your hand. Let her cool down for an hour or two. Let her see your hand, and get used to it. Put it ON the cage, and let her look at it and know it's not going to hurt her. Do this many times throughout the day, for a few days. Then put your hand IN the cage, but not near her. Play with her toy with your fingers, play with the seed, etc. Let her know it's not going to hurt her when it comes in the cage. Do that for a day.
Then when she has gained the security of your hand. Follow to the solution that is also for problem number 3:
__
3-Open the cage door. Allow her to come out on her own. When she does, talk to her, and sing. Do not try to pick her upi until after a few days of coming out on her own.

_________
For all of these solutions, it requires TLC, singing, talking, and lots of time, and attention.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I prefer going the angle of setting the parrotlet up to WANT to come to you. Clicker training is great for this - you can get the parrotlet to want to come to you w/o you making them do it. It is very hands off and gives the parrot full choice and they learn so quickly to make the choices you want them to make

http://www.talkparrotlets.com/showthread.php?t=482&highlight=clicker+training

http://www.talkparrotlets.com/showthread.php?t=550&highlight=clicker+training

I have tamed / trained completely wild/parent raised birds this way. I even left them fully flighted and it only took a few days time :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
9-10 weeks and the same clutch, even though that's not a problem since my daughter has her own home.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Tara is just taking a few more days to really be positive that she wants this. I respect her for this decision.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Paula, are you asking what she should do? Has she had a bird? As usual, you can let her get used to her new surroundings. That is imporatant. Getting lots of sleep will be good for the bird also. Giving millet and warm oatmeal is comforting. Talking quietly, singing. Nothing loud will also be comforting. It is scary for them at first.

Let your daughter know it will take time to get close and for the bird to feel at home and trust her.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
I am wondering the same thing Andrea....

Sorry, but do you ever think about pairing them or pairing the seperate ones?

·
Registered
835 Posts
:) Just some background - I started keeping parrots as singles b/c that was what I was taught. But I was always looking for improvement. Now that I keep parrots in pairs I cannot imagine going back to keeping them singly - before I would have thought a paired parrot would not be a good pet - it is so not true! I think they make better pets as one of their main needs are being met. Because of this a paired parrot (of course when kept well/properly) has less, if any behavior issues - that's a plus for everyone!

·
Registered
835 Posts
No, we are indicating have you thought about pairing your singles - not keeping single parrots. In our adoption program it is required to keep parrots in pairs - whether we pair them or the adoptee signs and agrees in their adoption contract to find a species appropriate mate.

Pair keeping is actually the law in some countries and keeping singles is viewed as cruel and bad keeping. Obviously the states has different ideas, but I think we have much to learn.

This is interesting, German Minimum Requirements for Parrot Keeping:

http://www.bonsaibirds.com/index.php/topic,57.0.html

It is worth reading, that's what changed my world of parrot keeping :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts