Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I'm new to the forum here and excited to be part of the community. My fiance and I are the proud owners of two lovely parrotlets. We love them a lot, but strangely, we don't have fixed names for them. I usually call the male Chubby Man, and the female Lady Bird. We were lucky to receive them from my fiance's mother, who has had 15+ parrotlets for several years now.

Chubby Man and Lady Bird have at least 3 babies right now. :eek: :) I think there might be 4, but every since we heard about the dangers of opening the nest box too frequently, we stopped. We now shine a soft light into the box hole each morning, and today, I saw at least 3 very plump, healthy looking babies! They make sweet chirping noises every half hour or so; the oldest will be 2 weeks old on Friday.

The problem is, we are completely overwhelmed about how we are going to take care of them. My fiance and I both work a lot (though he has a more flexible schedule), so despite the fact that we are equipped with an excellent brooder and feeding equipment, we don't think handfeeding is going to be that feasible for us. I'm a little bummed by this, since I so WANTED to learn how to handfeed... :(

It seems the only other option for trying to have sweet parrotlets is to co-parent. I've read several posts on this forum on this topic. But it seems to me that people have very different opinions on co-parenting. First, I understand that its success may depend a lot on the individual birds (the parents) and their feelings about you taking the babies out of the nest box. Also, I know some people feel you should not stress the parents out by taking the babies out of the box, even temporarily.

Has anyone had experience successfully co-parenting parrotlets? Or perhaps just as important, has anyone had a very negative experience co-parenting?

For anyone who has done it successfully, could you tell me, literally, how you did it? There are so many basic things we don't know and haven't been able to find by searching online, like:

- Literally, how do you take the babies out of the nest box? Lady Bird is VERY protective of the babies, and I don't want to harm her or the babies by trying to reach into the nest box. She only comes out of the nest box about once a day, and very briefly at those times. So, does this mean we open the nest box, reach in while she's still IN the box (and risk being attacked), and try to pick up the babies with our hands? This sounds terrifying, both for us and for the momma bird.

- What age is right for taking the babies out for socializing?

- What time of day do you take them out? For how long? Do you just hold them in your hand and cuddle with them?

- Is there a good chance Lady Bird or Chubby Man will attack or reject the babies, or is it true that it really depends on each individual bird?

- If it turns out they have 4+ babies, is there a risk that the parents are being overworked by having to feed all of them? Is there anything we can do to alleviate the burden?

Sorry if all these questions sound so basic--it's because we are indeed completely new to breeding. Our main priority is to give the babies the best chance at survival, and if we could possibly have tame (or close to tame) parrotlets, too, that would be AMAZING.

Any thoughts would be so appreciated! Thank you!

·
Registered
5,685 Posts
I'm not a breeder and don't have answers for these questions, but I hope someone will respond who has the knowledge you are seeking.

I did want to wish you the best of luck with the babies however! :)

·
Registered
11,181 Posts
Welcome to the forum! If Lady bird is too protective of the babies, you may have to consider just leaving them alone and then trying to tame them down when they have weaned.

It's possible to wait until the parents are out of the nest box, block their access, and then handle the babies, but without knowing how comfortable the parents are going to be about this, you may end up with parents who kill their young.

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
Maybe C & Skye's mom will respond. She has experience with coparenting and handfeeding I think. Also, Callie I think--but with lovebirds although I think it can still be applicable. I know of people that have dfone coparenting and been happy with the outcome. But here are some helpful resources:

http://beautyofbirds.com/coparenting.html

http://theparrotforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=11643

http://forums.avianavenue.com/index.php?threads/co-parenting.38054/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCBuHQiV-3A

http://www.talkparrotlets.com/showthread.php?t=473&page=4

·
Super Moderator
4,460 Posts
How's it going?

I am surprised that some of our members that have raised clutches have not jumped in on this one.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi everyone! I'm new to the forum here and excited to be part of the community. My fiance and I are the proud owners of two lovely parrotlets. We love them a lot, but strangely, we don't have fixed names for them. I usually call the male Chubby Man, and the female Lady Bird. We were lucky to receive them from my fiance's mother, who has had 15+ parrotlets for several years now.

Chubby Man and Lady Bird have at least 3 babies right now. :eek: :) I think there might be 4, but every since we heard about the dangers of opening the nest box too frequently, we stopped. We now shine a soft light into the box hole each morning, and today, I saw at least 3 very plump, healthy looking babies! They make sweet chirping noises every half hour or so; the oldest will be 2 weeks old on Friday.

The problem is, we are completely overwhelmed about how we are going to take care of them. My fiance and I both work a lot (though he has a more flexible schedule), so despite the fact that we are equipped with an excellent brooder and feeding equipment, we don't think handfeeding is going to be that feasible for us. I'm a little bummed by this, since I so WANTED to learn how to handfeed... :(

It seems the only other option for trying to have sweet parrotlets is to co-parent. I've read several posts on this forum on this topic. But it seems to me that people have very different opinions on co-parenting. First, I understand that its success may depend a lot on the individual birds (the parents) and their feelings about you taking the babies out of the nest box. Also, I know some people feel you should not stress the parents out by taking the babies out of the box, even temporarily.

Has anyone had experience successfully co-parenting parrotlets? Or perhaps just as important, has anyone had a very negative experience co-parenting?

For anyone who has done it successfully, could you tell me, literally, how you did it? There are so many basic things we don't know and haven't been able to find by searching online, like:

- Literally, how do you take the babies out of the nest box? Lady Bird is VERY protective of the babies, and I don't want to harm her or the babies by trying to reach into the nest box. She only comes out of the nest box about once a day, and very briefly at those times. So, does this mean we open the nest box, reach in while she's still IN the box (and risk being attacked), and try to pick up the babies with our hands? This sounds terrifying, both for us and for the momma bird.

- What age is right for taking the babies out for socializing?

- What time of day do you take them out? For how long? Do you just hold them in your hand and cuddle with them?

- Is there a good chance Lady Bird or Chubby Man will attack or reject the babies, or is it true that it really depends on each individual bird?

- If it turns out they have 4+ babies, is there a risk that the parents are being overworked by having to feed all of them? Is there anything we can do to alleviate the burden?

Sorry if all these questions sound so basic--it's because we are indeed completely new to breeding. Our main priority is to give the babies the best chance at survival, and if we could possibly have tame (or close to tame) parrotlets, too, that would be AMAZING.

Any thoughts would be so appreciated! Thank you!
Congrats on your new babies!

I just had my pair lay their first clutch. 6 eggs were laid and all 6 hatched a month ago..

I let the parents raise their babies. at 15 days i held the first 2 babies that we the oldest...

I would take out the parents and then take out the nest box and check on the babies and hold them.

I try to handle the babies every day so that they will be accustomed to being held..

Hope you have good luck with your babies! :)

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
I am afraid I have never had babies but I was checking in too to welcome you to the forum and to see how things are going! Summer is a busy time and I know I am not at all up to date on so many threads - hopefully you are managing and other experienced members will be able to jump in soon!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
17 Posts
I too would love to have this information! My parrotlet pair's first egg hatched on July 7th and they now have two or three chicks with several eggs left to hatch. This is their first clutch and they are very protective. My male is more tame than my female, but neither one of them are as tame as I would like.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
So sorry I missed your post when you were asking for some input back in June. Your chick'lets must be flighted and and weaning themselves by now! How are things going? Were you able to handle the little ones over the past few weeks? Hope all is well....would love to see pics!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts