Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
She's sitting on five eggs but her nest seems to small she has no mate or anything and has been chewing the nest up to maybe make it bigger or for nesting material? Should I make her a bigger nest or don't stress or or bother her by transferring to a new nest
Terrestrial plant Feather Wood Natural material Grass

Eye Feather Art Natural material Wing

Azure Wood Art Urban design Grass

Bird Organism Terrestrial plant Twig Parrot

Beak Reptile Wood Mesh Grass

Green Plant Natural material Terrestrial plant Headgear

Bird Plant Parrot Organism Beak

Beak Seafood Natural material Wood Dish
Beak Feather Dish Terrestrial animal Natural material
Bird Beak Plant Parrot Feather
Eye Feather Art Natural material Wing
Bird Plant Parrot Organism Beak
Beak Reptile Wood Mesh Grass
Bird Organism Terrestrial plant Twig Parrot
Terrestrial plant Feather Wood Natural material Grass
Azure Wood Art Urban design Grass
Green Plant Natural material Terrestrial plant Headgear
Beak Seafood Natural material Wood Dish

Bird Beak Plant Parrot Feather

Beak Feather Dish Terrestrial animal Natural material

Super Moderator
I will let members who are more experienced in this issue answer your question but my heart just aches for that sweet little thing. She is so beautiful and so sweet sitting there in her little nest, looking so happy she has her five eggs. I have never seen anything like it. She is so sweet and such beautiful colours. At least she is past all that terrible egg binding and she sure looks happy, bless her sweet little heart. 馃挌馃挌

Reactions: Anya

Registered
Awww! She does look so adorable. Bless her little heart - She is trying to be a good mama. 馃挋 She is a beauty. I agree with Jackie, it melts your heart seeing her, but now that she has laid eggs, you need to become knowledgeable and diligent about trying to prevent her from ever laying eggs again. (y) Everyone who has a female needs to educate themselves about egg laying and how to try to prevent it from happening. A female bird does not need a mate to lay eggs! 馃槷

To solve your problem, you can line the bottom of the cage with a soft towel the so eggs won鈥檛 break, and she will be comfortable sitting on the eggs. Place it in the section of the cage where she is nesting right now. Just be sure to be very gentle when handling the eggs when you move them. Right now, she is needing more rest, so I would suggest that you give her more hours of uninterrupted sleep every night. Keep an eye on her to make sure she is eating. You can help her out by hand feeding her some fresh foods like veggies and fruit. They will help to replenish the nutrients she has lost. She is probably depleted of calcium too, so if she is not going near her cuttlebone or any other calcium source you may have, you can scrape some of the cuttlebone over her food. Giving her crushed eggshells in her food bowl will give her a calcium boost too. Gently start disrupting her cage. Start moving perches and toys around. Mix up her environment a little. Maybe just one or two things each a day and if necessary you can even move the cage to a different spot of the room. Birds do not like change when they are in egg mode and it will help to discourage her from further egg laying. I would also leave the cage door open, so it gives her to opportunity to come and go as she wants. Your little girl is a little trooper! Keep us updated on how she is doing! :)

Administrator
She is so cute and trying to be a good birdie mom. Love the pics
Can't add more to the discussion than the others have not already said.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you guys so much for everything you said and one of her eggs are broken I went to adjust her nest cause it was tipping over and the eggs were about to roll out of her nest and I didn't want then to break but one is cracked not broken and leaking but one is cracked ... what I need to do is replace them all with dummy eggs right or what do you recommend?

Registered
You need to remove any broken or damaged eggs. It can spread bacteria. Do you have dummy eggs? Then you should replace all the eggs with dummy eggs. After 21 days (or when she loses interest in them), then you can remove one egg and after that remove one egg every other day until they are gone.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay is it 21 days after her last layerd egg? Cause she laid about three eggs then two weeks later layed three more eggs and looks like she bulging down there right now

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Liquid Fluid Drink Glass Water
Food Tableware Ingredient Fluid Liquid
Food Ingredient Seafood Fluid Recipe
Ingredient Food Cuisine Dish Water
Coin Ingredient Foil Recipe Currency
Water Drinkware Liquid Tableware Barware
Liquid Fluid Drink Glass Water

She just came out of her cage and went to the bathroom and it looks like this, she's been eating but not really drinking water at all compared to her usually drinking more water and not eating as much..
Water Drinkware Liquid Tableware Barware

Ingredient Food Cuisine Dish Water

Coin Ingredient Foil Recipe Currency

Super Moderator
Did you discuss her poops with the vet when you brought her in earlier for her egg binding problem? I don鈥檛 know if the medications she was given would affect it or if a laying bird has this kind of change to her poops.

Registered
Have you removed any eggs besides the damaged ones? They needed to be replaced with dummy eggs. You said she has laid a total of 6 eggs, but she was nesting on 5. If any eggs are removed too early, your bird will continue to lay eggs to replace the ones that are lost. She may be replacing the lost egg(s). Have you been adding 2 hours of extra darkness every night ? This needs to be complete darkness. A sheer cover will not work. Start rearranging her cage like I mentioned earlier. If your female continues to lay eggs, your vet may suggest hormonal therapy - shots to try to stop the egg laying. I worry about her not having enough calcium to form and lay more eggs. Make sure you are providing her with some calcium. Please talk to your vet. We want to help, but we are not medical experts.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts