Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Parrotlets are not nest builders, they will generally accept just about anything provided for them. We use a large budgie nestbox which measures 6" x 7" and are 8" high. Approximately two inches of finely cut pine shavings are placed in the box. Some hens will throw out most of the nesting material, when this happens, I just replenish the material to prevent complications when eggs are laid and chicks begin hatching.

Use of the nestboxes will vary from pair to pair. Some pairs will only use their nestboxes at night for sleeping. Others, particularly Green Rumps who tend to be shy, will use them to hide in. Still other pairs will use them only when breeding, never venturing near the box at any other time.

Often the male is the first to investigate and enter the nestbox. Once inside he may call to his mate to join him. In other pairs the female will suddenly disappear into the box and hopefully the first egg will appear soon after.

·
Registered
106 Posts
My pair is both blue the Female is 2 1/2 and the male is 1 1/2. I put a nest box on the cage about a mouth ago and they will not go near it. Can I do anything to help them along?

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I think that sort of thing with a flat bottom is a bad idea for female p'lets. They encourage nesting behavior and you do not want that in a non breeding bird. Maggie is still young of course but later on you do not want her laying eggs as it can be very hard on their health. Also the flat bottomed tents tend to collect poo on the bottom. If you want a cozy tent the one that have a perch on the bottom are better. Sadie has one that hangs above a perch but she does not like to go in there. She will crawl on top of it though. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
68 Posts
I think that sort of thing with a flat bottom is a bad idea for female p'lets. They encourage nesting behavior and you do not want that in a non breeding bird. Maggie is still young of course but later on you do not want her laying eggs as it can be very hard on their health. Also the flat bottomed tents tend to collect poo on the bottom. If you want a cozy tent the one that have a perch on the bottom are better. Sadie has one that hangs above a perch but she does not like to go in there. She will crawl on top of it though. :rolleyes:
Thanks for the info, I will probably return it, I'm not looking to have maggie one day lay eggs.

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
I had one of these for Kiwi, but returned it for the reasons mentioned above. Kiwi usually sleeps (in her sleeping cage) on the highest perch or in one of her swings.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I made a no-bottom box for my p'lets and that's the only place they'll sleep if it's availiable.

I buy a a 3/8" thick piece of hobby wood (hobby lobby) that's 4" wide and 3 foot long. I cut four pieces so that I have a top, 2 sides, and a front. There is no back and there is not bottom. The front piece is about 1/2" shorter than the sides to make a 'view port' at the top, so they can peak out.

On the bottom of the two sides, I drill a 1/2" hole, I run a piece of sissal through this and tie knots tight against the sides.

The p'lets perch on the sissal, there is not bottom to get poo on or to lay eggs on, but it gives them a ceiling and 3 sides to feel secure. I just put an eye screw in top to hang it.

I also drilled a few small holes in top and ran various textured ropes and lether strands with and with out beads, but they just chewed it all off before the started sleeping there.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Regarding nesting box openings: My parrotlets will not go near the ones with the circular hole opening. They will only use the ones that have the large square (1/2 wall) openings.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts