Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My birdie has been molting for some time now. He is on a lots of fresh vegetables, eggs (1 to 2 times a week), fresh fruits from time to time and seed mix is always in his cage. During the molt I started to feel like his feathers got messy. Maybe it is normal I am not sure but I am also not sure if they are duller or not. I am sure he is not plucking or chewing though. There are no bald spots. Pellets are not available in my country so I am not feeding him any. He is eating very well, so no apetite loss. So I ordered some Nekton-S vitamins, I heard they were high quality. But I am not sure about the dosage. This is the main thing I wanted to take your opinion on! He loves his vegetables so I don't want to overdose, I just want him to get some backup especially while he is molting. I have added some pictures of him, don't worry the redness on the beak and feet is from the bell peppers from yesterday's dinner :)

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,044 Posts
He is adorable! I am not certain about vitamin dosing - since parrotlets are so tiny, I have never wanted to dose Tumi with vitamins. Does the manufacturer have any recommendations?

·
Registered
856 Posts
The directions I have found for Nekton-S vitamins online are confusing. At one point it states to give one scoop daily, but then it also says, "Because of this supplement's higher content of vitamin D and trace elements than in a complete feed, it may only be added to 5% of a bird's daily ration." That is especially important to know. Too much Vitamin D can be toxic. So, how are you supposed to figure out what 5% of your bird’s daily ration is? When you get the vitamins, if they do not provide a clearer directions, I would want to check with an avian vet or contact Nekton directly.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes! As Anya stated the main problem with this brand is they have a measuring spoon and the main recommendation is to feed one spoon a day (1g). But I think it is ridicilous because it should depend on bird's weight and condition. I am really hesitant too, but as I am not feeding any pellet I don't want him to miss anything. I was going to take him to vet last week but I got sick and had to go to the hospital. I will hopefully take him this saturday. But there are no avian vets here so I am not sure they will do bloodwork etc. to see if there are any deficincies. I really don't trust the vets here. I made a big research to find this vet I hope it will worth it this time :( Maybe to be safe, I would only give him 1/5 of spoon once a week or something like that. I will definitely contact the company because I can not calculate %5 of his food! I am working from home right now and I love to prepare him fresh foods at least three times a day. It is impossible to calculate as he does not eat up all of it.

·
Super Moderator
4,566 Posts
While it is an individual choice as a rule I do not do blood work on my parrotlets unless I know we are looking for an illness. They are just so small and a needle is a bit traumatic for them. I go with dropping tests where they can get a lot of info from.

·
Super Moderator
5,044 Posts
Tumi's avian vet does not do blood work on him due to size as well, even though they do blood work on just about every species. They do not suggest that I do it unless we have a reason to do it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh ok, that is kind of a relief because I don't think vets here are capable of it. But I see it in the forum all the time, that's why I thought it was a routine. Besides I also wouldn't let my little one go through that stress unless it it extremely crucial. I hope none of our birdies never need it then :)

·
Registered
4,923 Posts
Hi~~~
The way I see it, the 1 gram dosage is to be put on the food....Since your bird will not eat all of the one gram, he will ingest enough of it to be beneficial. I used a liquid vitamin ( one drop of vitamin per ounce of water). My bird did not have to drink all the water/vitamins in his water bowl in order to get the benefits of the required dosage. I'll bet the manufacturer of Nekton-S knows that the bird will not ingest all the one gram, but your bird will get enough.

Now, if your bird is sick and needs one gram for sure, then there would have to be another way made available to ensure he gets all he needs.

David and Vicki

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hello David,

Thank you for your reply! I thought so too, but I just want to make sure that I won't do anything wrong. If I get a reply from the company I will let you know for sure :)

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have been using the Nekton powder and per the bird store where I purchased Pip, I just poked a couple of holes in the foil top under the cap and shake a bit into his water.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you so much! I will do this way maybe because I still haven't opened it without being completely sure on how to use it. Do you think these vitamins are good too?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts