Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

I got my new girl yesterday. I have alot of questions, and alot of concerns, as any new owner would. Most of all, though, it's about training her for 'step up' and how to get her to where she's no longer afraid of hands.

I'm not sure if the woman I bought her from bought her hand-fed or not. She was keeping the poor girl in a little 12x16x12 petsmart type of cage with plastic perches and no toys whatsoever. It was deeply concerning. The lady didn't have enough time to handle her. I don't think she ever handled her, actually.

Now, she seems very comfortable around people. Sitting on the shoulder, resting on an arm or a leg, are all things she is very happy to do. However, when she sees those hands coming her way, even with food, or down low/not grabbing, she runs. Like a banchee.

Since I've gotten her home, she hasn't used any of her perches or toys, and hasn't even looked at the apples and lettuice I put out for her.

Any advice on how to calm her down and earn her trust?

PS. Name suggestions would be good too. The lady never named her. </3

·
Registered
636 Posts
First of all, congrats on your new baby:D P'lets are awesome little creatures and very fun to have around!! You'll really enjoy having one in your life. As far as the hand taming and bonding and training - all I can say to you is patience, patience and more patience. My Oliver was hand fed and hand tame, he came to me already knowing how to step up and is very cooperative with us HOWEVER he HATES hands. If he sees my hands coming he's outta there, anywhere where hands aren't!! I've had him since the end of April and we are still working on trust daily. Oliver is a very timid little guy, he rarely comes out of his cage and is content sitting on top of one of his toys just hanging out and preening. Every bird is different, you will see that as time goes on - your little one will start showing personality soon enough!!

The bird has to get used to her surroundings first. This could take a few days, a week or months. They need to settle in and feel secure where they are. I think Oliver is still learning to settle in here. During this time I would just talk to her and let her know you are there but don't force her to come out, let her learn to do that on your own. Over time you will see that she will start to trust you and you will bond - it just takes an adjustment period for both of you. I used to sit next to Olly's cage (still do) and talk to him and just make my presence known to him. Over time he became less afraid of me, but I think that hands may always be an issue, which is fine.

Good luck with your new baby - post pictures soon!!!:D

·
Registered
452 Posts
Our P'lets have similar stories-- mine was also pretty neglected. :/

How exciting she is home!! Check out the millet training links and tips-- people swear by it.

I'm going to try clicker training Delphi and have started clicking when she eats millet from my hand. At first she was startled by the click but so far so good. She got used to it pretty quickly.

Have you offered her millet and seed mix just so you know she's eating something? I made up gobs of mash (prolly 2+ lbs) yesterday and have been offering that in the am followed by seed mix about 3 hrs in to the day. She did pick at the mash a bit.

Is that your new girl in your avatar? She's CUTE!!!!

Did the lady tell you anything else about her?

·
Registered
11,181 Posts
I would say that she's likely been handled in the past if she's comfortable on the shoulder and arms, but perhaps been grabbed too many times which causes the fear of hands. Time and patience will teach your little girl that you're ok, but definitely go slow with the hands.

There's a link on the forum somwhere for millet training, it's a youtube video with parakeets/budgies. It worked great with Noodle. He was a bird that was scared of hands and within 2 weeks he was coming up to me for the millet and 2 months later would step up and then go on shoulders (I've only had him since April). I'm still working with him and we're making slow progress every day.

Good luck :)

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Good luck with your new bird - patience and bribery work wonders! You received good advice above, and do look for the link to the millet training video. I hand-tamed a Budgie a couple of months ago using that technique, and he was never handled, straight out of a large aviary. Lots of positive reinforcement (millet spray), and no forcing - she gradually will learn she doesn't need to fear your hands but it takes awhile. Go at the bird's pace.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts